On-board Credit

jasmith52

First time cruiser on HAL, many other cruises on other lines...

We just received the final billing statement from our online travel agent and to my surprise it includes an on-board credit. I don't know the finer points of an on board credit. Could someone please enlighten me.

Are there any restrictions on how that money can be used ?

Can it be used to pay some of the tips ?

can it be used for cocktails and coffee drinks ?

can it be used for shore excursions ?

What happens if I don't spend any money on-board will they refund the credit ?

Also I am kind of expecting (cross your fingers) on-board credit for the fuel surcharge. Are there restrictions in how that money can be used ?

No, yes, yes, yes, maybe, and no! :D

An OBC is simply a credit applied to your account, and as such can offset any on-board expenses including the $11/p/d Hotel Service Charge, the $9/p/d fuel surcharge, excursions, drinks, goods ... or anything else you buy on board. Unless it's a whopping credit, I doubt there will be anything left to be refunded!

I hope you like HAL! :D

We just received the final billing statement from our online travel agent and to my surprise it includes an on-board credit. I don't know the finer points of an on board credit. Could someone please enlighten me.

Also I am kind of expecting (cross your fingers) on-board credit for the fuel surcharge. Are there restrictions in how that money can be used ?

You go about your business and charge various things which end up on your bill. The OBC ends up being a reduction in your final bill by the amount of the OBC. If you were to get a copy of your statement you will see various charges that you have made during your cruise and to offset some of it you will see your OBC which in effect just reduces that final bill amount.

if at he end of the cruise do they give you the credit on your charge if you have not used it all

No, but... I have never had a big enough credit where this was an issue. You will pay a few hundred for tips alone... then anything you drink and so on... We do not drink very much, just a few glass of wine each night. I always get a soda card (not on HAL anymore) and by the end of the cruise we usually have a $500 bill. This is for a week.

Enjoy!:)

if at he end of the cruise do they give you the credit on your charge if you have not used it all

When I have had OBC left over, I have collected it in cash the final morning before leaving (getting to the front office earlier is better). I do not know if they will credit it to a card.

Rich

On my final statement on the Statendam, Oct. 25, there was a $10 per person refund for Port Taxes and Govt. Fee.

The Front Office also sent a nice letter stating that there had been an over estimate on these items.

Bill

Ancient Mariner

Archived