need help picking a beach!

simkoreb

We're heading into Grand Cayman in Feb, along with 8 other ships in port with us! I want to find an uncrowded beach to hang out on, since we did sting rays last time we were there. I'm considering cemetary reef...are there any others? I really don't care about facilities...the more remote and beautiful the better...
THanks!!!

Most of the beaches on your link are NOT in walking distance -- yes, they are free, but you would need to get a taxi to get there!!
Many people get off the ships thinking the beach is "just a short walk away", but it is ALOT farther than it looks, plus it will be hot & humid!!!

(Stayed there twice at condo near Marriott & can't tell you how many couples we saw walking where 1 wanted to go on & other wanted to quit!! -- we even rescued several couples, gave them a drink & let them swim in pool with us!!)

If you want a nice beach walk, take a cab at least to Marriott/Comfort Suites, and turn right when you reach the water's edge. Wear beach shoes/aqua shoes (hurricane left alot of broken coral on the sand & shoreline which has not been cleaned up yet)!! From there you can walk & swim north for maybe 3+ miles!!! Walk for awhile then take a dip, then walk some more. Whenever you get tired of doing that, just walk out to the main road & get a taxi or bus.

Another suggestion is to take a cab to the Courtyard Marriott (formerly Holiday Inn) beach at north end of beach & start walking back....

Given that most hotels aren't even open now, you may want to arrange with your cab to pick you back up at a specific time & place -- ask your driver for suggestions.

THanks for all the info guys! I'm a little curious, on another thread someone wondered about cemetary beach, which I thought was at the north end of 7 mile beach (not within walking distance) Then someone else posted it was a 10-15 minute walk! Which is correct???

vossjemi: Sea Grape beach is [or was, anyway] a very nice beach. Choice of sun or shade, rinse-off shower, restroom and [very] small changing room, bar/snacks. Charge depends on what you want [chair, umbrella, etc] but is modest and includes a soda. Very pretty location, some coral for beginner snorklers [like me!], warm water. Not within walking distance, however; cab was $6 each, each way. Get cab right at the "dock", plenty of them to get back - maybe about a 5-10 minute ride. [I think the public bus would get you there, too.]

We have been to GC several times. Our last time there we rented a jeep and headed south stopped at the blow holes for pictures then headed about 20 minutes farther and found a private pull off with a seculded baeach area. We found untouched snorkeling where all the coral was alive a beautiful. It was the best snorkeling I ever did. You have to swim out to the reef but it is well worth your day.

We are headed for GC in a week and I am looking for a GC version of Paradise beach in Cozumel. Looking for shade, good food, not much walking (I walk with a cane), not too pricey, safe area for young children to play. Some fish and coral would be nice, too. Maybe at one of the hotels? We've been to Cayman several times but have never just spent the day at the beach playing and relaxing. Any suggestions?

Archived