Eastern Caribbean - Royal Caribbean or Carnival

Liberty Bound

Hello everyone, I've only cruised once before - on the Liberty around the Western Caribbean. Needless to say we had a great time!

I'm now looking into booking another another trip and am quite interested in the 7 day Eastern Caribbean trip on the Liberty. Looking around, I see RCCL are offering the exact same trip (same ports of call/timing) on their "Freedom of the Seas". Currently RCCL is pricing out at $20 per person less.

So I am hoping you could offer some advice about which option I should go for? I realize this is the Carnival board but am really interested in which types of things each line does better and at this minimal price differential what would represent the better value?

Thanks in advance!

I really liked royal but I liked carnival as well. I liked the promenade area of royal, plus they have a few additional things. the rooms are smaller than carnival, but their balcony (if i recall right) are sliding with a bigger window.

i'd give royal a try, especially if it's that cheap, you wont be disappointed.

I've been on celebrity, ncl, carnival and royal......carnival and royal are by far my favies!!

Feel free to PM me with any questions or email mechelke@sbcglobal.net

For $20 less, I definitely would sail on RCI. Haven't been on Freedom of the Seas, but love the Voyager class of ship. Done both lines numerous times, and for all the differences, there are many similarities. Do it and then you will have something to compare. You can't go wrong with either line on the newer ships.

Without a doubt I would do Freedom of the Seas. Although Carnival and Royal Caribbean are more alike than some people think, the Promenade on Freedom itself makes for a great cruise.

I love the sliding doors on the balconies. I think there is more to do on Royal Caribbean also. I love the specialty restaurants on Carnival ships, but Portofino on Royal Caribbean is, for me at least, to die for. Even though it is an Italian restaurant, it has the best Filet Mignon. Also, the ribbon pasta with mascarpone mushroom sauce is wonderful. Plus, it's cheaper than the steakhouse on Carnival.

Try Royal Caribbean and see what you think. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I am going on my first RCCL cruise next month. We decided to try it out since their prices have come down so much. They used to be consistently higher than CCL, but I assume the economy is forcing them to price more competitively. That works out great for us, since we are also wanting to try one of their biggies. Heck, I'm seeing 7 day cruises from them at around the $350 mark!

I'm now looking into booking another another trip and am quite interested in the 7 day Eastern Caribbean trip on the Liberty. Looking around, I see RCCL are offering the exact same trip (same ports of call/timing) on their "Freedom of the Seas". Currently RCCL is pricing out at $20 per person less.

Just returned from the Carnival Liberty a few weeks ago. Had an AMAZING time!! You can click on my signature for pictures. I'm also including a link at the bottom to my review .

Some of the superlatives of our cruise:

Cabin - Awesome, BIG cabin with nice, comfortable bedding (Carnival Comfort Bed System). Very nicely decorated as well.

Food - Total Choice Dining is now an option on the Liberty so you can choose what time and who you dine with every night (you can still do traditional dining if you prefer). We requested a table for two every time, and we got it with no wait or minimal (less than 5 mins) wait.

Harry's - LOVED this dining option. Absolutely fabulous food and ambiance. Rivals the cuisine at any high end steakhouse.

Flower's Lobby - They had wonderful music every afternoon and evening, so we would normally enjoy a cocktail there before going out for dinner. Gave our cruise a touch of class.

There's a LOT more (and I wrote a review which you can read here)

I love RCCL too. It would come down to the price. I am already booked on th Liberty but I will contact my agent at my interline company as RCCL honors Canadian Forces Personal with a discount and Carnival doesn't so maybe Carnival will lose out I'm not sure.DH has been dying to go back to RCCl for another go.

Archived