HAL club for kids

sabaka

Several Questions about Zuiderdam kids club What are the hours and are they open on port days? Are their any night when they host a party for the kids where the kids eat in club so parents can take advantage of eating in The Pinnacle? Any other observations about the kids program would be appreciated!

Hi it is me again. Has anyone travelled on any of HALS ships recently with kids? Ours are twin 7 year olds. They have cruised with us on Disney and Princess. We are wondering what to expect on HAL. Thanks in advance

Ok, I have asked this question before (Oct 29) and never got an answer. I would like to book the Z for april, but would like to know some details about hours especially. I read the reviews on CC, and most really bragged on Club HAL, but some that were used to programs on other lines complained that there were few hours of operation on Hal. I emailed HAL for specifics and they basically just cut and pasted from their Web site (no details included).

Can someone please help us out? At least with time schedules and sampling of activities, or better yet with links to programs.

I have determined not to let this thread die this time.

My 12 yo signed himself with 13-17 group..so I don't have much info...but I remember seeing special dinner (I think at 6) for the kids accomp. by parents near the middle pool. ( I didn't know what was going on and was trying to get some food but was politely stopped).. I guess you can send your kids to the club later.

okay everyone - hope I can answer some of your questions.

We sailed on the Maasdam 2 yrs ago, the Zuiderdam last Aug (Defected to RC this Aug) and are booked on the Oosterdam for Aug 05. Sailed with our daugters who are now 9 and 7.

Hrs of operation were 2 hrs morning, afternoon and evening. KEEP in mind that the SOE program which is being phased in upgrades the facilities and programs and adds late night "group sitting" which as parents we felt was the ONLY thing missing from the HAL program. My girls loved Club HAL over Carnival, Celebrity and RC's programs. When you are 2 out of 20 kids vs 2 out of 40 or 50....who wouldn't! Smaller groups - better activities. Okay, okay no ice skating rink, rock climbing wall or minature golf, but the counselers did tie dying, pool party, and activities that could be done with smaller groups of kids (I belive their was a kids dinner)....we just liked the smaller ratio of kids. The couselers on the Maasdam were awesome - we still remember their names. Zuid were not as enthusastic......

As parents we love the HAL experience and our kids love the program so it works for us. Like I said the only thing HAL did not offer when we sailed was late night hrs - so at 9:30 when Club HAL ended....then what? Not that we leave our kids there all night - not by any means - but if my wife and I wanted to see a show by ourselves or just have a drink and listen to a band for an hour or two - it's nice having the option that the kids can watch a movie or be playing games. Usually by 10-11 we are so tired....we are climbing into bed before the kids! I wish I was sailing sooner. Curious to also start reading feedback from those with children who sail on the ships with the SOE enhancements in place.

If I can I'll answer any questions I can

Thank you so very much! May I ask a few more questions? What dinner seating did you do? When we sail Disney the kids want to eat room service or buffet then back to club as soon as possible! Last may on Princess the club times seemed sililar to HAL's. Princess had any time dinning so we usually went early and then went to club when it opened. The twins relly like dressing up "fancy" and trying everything on the adult menu, but if club is open they relly want to be there! Was the club open on port days at all? They hate to shop so if we want to fit in some shopping after an excursion it would be nice to have the club available. are their special activities on Half Moom Bay for the kids? Thanks in advance!!

Thank you so much for the info.

You are right that with a smaller group, kids may end doing different things than they would do in a larger group. My DD is also more comfortable in smaller group. For us, we will only make use of Club HAL on sea days and on special night or formal night. I suspect also that with the Holidays, they will have more interesting activities. I think I will pack an old T-shirt in case they do painting and stuff like that.

Was the club open on port days at all? They hate to shop so if we want to fit in some shopping after an excursion it would be nice to have the club available. are their special activities on Half Moom Bay for the kids? Thanks in advance!!

I don't believe Club Hal is open while the ship is in port. At one time this was the case but things may have changed.

There are some special activites for kids on Half Moon.

We always dine early - our girls enjoy the dining experience as well. Packing the dinner outfits is ritual for them (it gets to be more of a ritual each year as they get older!) and we enjoy the dinners as a family. During the rest of the year its rare that we all get to sit down for dinner together as a family - just another aspect of our trip that we look forward to...but we may sneak away to the Pinnacle on our next sailing. Feed the girls early from the Lido and then let them go to camp for the evening while we go to the Pinnacle. Club Hal usually opened at 7:30 so we would usually be done with dinner - they would either go with us to the "production shows" or they would change and go to camp for the two hrs it was open.

As for port days - I don't believe they were open - but again that may change since they are upgrading their programs under the SOE enhancements. As far as Half Moon - check out cruisemates.com - they have an article posted about family activities on the various lines and a detailed description of those offered on Half Moon.

let me know if you have any other questions - when are you sailing again?

• 2 weeks later...
okay everyone - hope I can answer some of your questions.

We sailed on the Maasdam 2 yrs ago, the Zuiderdam last Aug (Defected to RC this Aug) and are booked on the Oosterdam for Aug 05. Sailed with our daugters who are now 9 and 7.

Hrs of operation were 2 hrs morning, afternoon and evening. KEEP in mind that the SOE program which is being phased in upgrades the facilities and programs and adds late night "group sitting" which as parents we felt was the ONLY thing missing from the HAL program. My girls loved Club HAL over Carnival, Celebrity and RC's programs. When you are 2 out of 20 kids vs 2 out of 40 or 50....who wouldn't! Smaller groups - better activities. Okay, okay no ice skating rink, rock climbing wall or minature golf, but the counselers did tie dying, pool party, and activities that could be done with smaller groups of kids (I belive their was a kids dinner)....we just liked the smaller ratio of kids. The couselers on the Maasdam were awesome - we still remember their names. Zuid were not as enthusastic......

As parents we love the HAL experience and our kids love the program so it works for us. Like I said the only thing HAL did not offer when we sailed was late night hrs - so at 9:30 when Club HAL ended....then what? Not that we leave our kids there all night - not by any means - but if my wife and I wanted to see a show by ourselves or just have a drink and listen to a band for an hour or two - it's nice having the option that the kids can watch a movie or be playing games. Usually by 10-11 we are so tired....we are climbing into bed before the kids! I wish I was sailing sooner. Curious to also start reading feedback from those with children who sail on the ships with the SOE enhancements in place.

If I can I'll answer any questions I can

Hey RobertMartha, you mentioned in an earlier thread about a new TA you were using. Can you email me that info? scluvsrain@sbcglobal.net.

Thanks!

Archived