Possibilities of using a notebook on Ruby.

Spectrum

Web access is available on nearly every ship these days. You would pay the same fees as if you were using the internet cafe onboard, but have the convenience of your own machine to download pictures, etc. I have been traveling with my laptop for the last ten years (although only using it for internet the last two). EM

Yes, you can use a laptop (notebook) on the Ruby or any other Princess ship. I think using the Internet is easy but be aware that it is quite slow in comparison to land-based Internet connections since you're on a moving ship and connecting via a satellite. It is never guaranteed that there will be a connection.

Just off the Ruby and laptop was very easy to use. Had it in my cabin and connected with wifi very quickly. Was pleasantly surprised at the ease of using it. Was able to type emails in word document prior to connecting to internet, therefore using far less internet time. I have one those 8.9", 2lb Acers. Very light and easy to carry. The only time I used the ship's computer was to print my boarding pass.

Just off the Ruby and laptop was very easy to use. Had it in my cabin and connected with wifi very quickly. Was pleasantly surprised at the ease of using it. Was able to type emails in word document prior to connecting to internet, therefore using far less internet time. I have one those 8.9", 2lb Acers. Very light and easy to carry. The only time I used the ship's computer was to print my boarding pass.
I looked at the Acer but just got the Dell Mini-9, which is 2.3 lb, and I'm in love. :) It's going to go on all of my cruises.

My wife and I each take a laptop on every cruise and have for years. We just got back from a Rome/FLL transatlantic and once again the laptops proved invaluable. We each have lightweight IBM-X22's, which are not very expensive in case they get lost/stolen.

I am considering purchasing a notebook to access web whilst cruising on Ruby 20th Dec 08.

Has anyone used similar and would you recommend them? Is access to internet easy?

Can you access the internet thru a laptop with WIFI, YES. It makes for ability to do it in many more places then the cafe. Check carefully as pricing could be different.

Do you need a laptop to access the internet on ship, NO. All ships have a internet cafe with between 10-20 computers. Sure there is a wait some days, but I wouldn't get the laptop just for doing internet. You do know that the internet is very very slow on the ships, like dialup is my experience:mad:

Get one because you need a mobile computer, get one to help out the economy and my company too ;)

I looked at the Acer but just got the Dell Mini-9, which is 2.3 lb, and I'm in love. :) It's going to go on all of my cruises.

Pam, I did a side-by-side comparison and read many reviews prior to purchasing the Acer. And although I have two Dells at home that I've been very happy with, I felt the Acer definitely gave me more bang for my buck. Also quite a bit cheaper. I purchased mine online through microcenter.com at a friends recommendation and am extremely happy with it. Some of the baby Acers come with the linux operating system, but I chose xp. But, either the Dell or the Acer, I think they are a great for travel. :p

Since we're talking about computers...

Pam and Lynda:

Have you tried fitting your computer into the safe?

Not a deal breaker for me, as I'm going to purchase one of the "Netbooks" anyway...just really curious. For those of you that haven't heard the term , these new Netbooks are the hottest thing in notebook computer sales right now; extremely lightweight, extremely small and reasonably priced. I've been waiting for something like this for years.

(please exuse me in advance if this is considered "hijacking". I just think the same audience would be interested).

Since we're talking about computers...

Pam and Lynda:

Have you tried fitting your computer into the safe?

Not a deal breaker for me, as I'm going to purchase one of the "Netbooks" anyway...just really curious. For those of you that haven't heard the term , these new Netbooks are the hottest thing in notebook computer sales right now; extremely lightweight, extremely small and reasonably priced. I've been waiting for something like this for years.

(please exuse me in advance if this is considered "hijacking". I just think the same audience would be interested).

I left my computer sitting on the desk the entire 2 weeks I was there. However, I can't say 100% for sure, but I am pretty confident it would fit into the safe as I picture it in my mind.

Archived