Ever done this in a taxi?

isutru

We are flying into Miami Int. Airport and are taking a taxi from the airport to the port. We would like to buy soda/champaigne/wine. Has anyone ever had a taxi stop en route to the port at a store? Or can such things be bought conveniently at the airport before leaving for the ship. Any advice or other suggestions would be great. Thanks!!

Thanks Commieri! Apparently in Miami there is a fixed taxi rate from the airport to the port, and I was not sure that a taxi driver will be willing to stop. Also, in Florida, do grocery stores sell wine and alcohol? Some states place limits on the ability of stores to sell alcohol.

Thanks Commieri! Apparently in Miami there is a fixed taxi rate from the airport to the port, and I was not sure that a taxi driver will be willing to stop. Also, in Florida, do grocery stores sell wine and alcohol? Some states place limits on the ability of stores to sell alcohol.

Yes there is a fixed rate from airport to port. And the driver will stop any place you like as long as you realize you are no longer on the fixed rate....and there is a posted "waiting time" rate on any taxi.

It won't bust your bank....but it will cost more than the $24 per taxi flat rate. Taxis are NOT that expensive.....most Americans are afraid of them but really....they ain't THAT bad. I'm sure you'll get from airport to port via Publix for way less than $50 including tip. And yes, Publix (grocery) sells beer and whine; but knot hard stuff.

Your new question is: is the presumed cost savings of stopping to buy beer/wine/whatever going to exceed the additional taxi cost....

SurVEY SAYS::::::

Before you enter the cab, ASK the driver what he will charge for a 20 min. stop at Publix on the way to the hotel. That way you will know what to expect. If it seems high, check out another driver. $50 would seem fair to me.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to report back after our trip. We stopped at a grocery store, and I went in and bought wine and pop. The set fare without metering would have been $24, and with our stop the fare was $31. I am pretty quick and knew what we wanted, and the extra $7 because of the metered stop was IMO very reasonable. It was also very easy and on the way, pretty close to the airport.

Archived