Good parrilla in Centro or Recoleta.

Jiminkcmo

I am a senior, solo traveler and will be in BA for one Saturday night prior to leaving on a cruise on Sunday.

Will be staying in the area of Av. 9 de Julio and Marcelo T. de Alvear on Sat. night.

Am looking for a casual place preferably within walking distance which will give me a "taste" of a typical parrilla.

Being solo, I'm not looking for some romantic or family oriented kind of place.

Have been doing LOTS of research but can't really find someplace that sounds like "just the right place".

Don't need anything fancy, just good steak, lots of it and beer to go with it.

Many thanks in advance.

Jim

Have been doing LOTS of research but can't really find someplace that sounds like "just the right place".

Don't need anything fancy, just good steak, lots of it and beer to go with it.

Many thanks in advance.

Jim

Jim, have you checked out http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar (Guia Ólea) It is just like Zagat's except it is in Spanish. At least you can make sure that you have found all of the parillas in the neighborhood --and it also tells you which places have closed up (cerró). It uses a numerical rating system for Food, Service and Ambience--and each review gives a graphic rating in each of the three categories. even if you can't read Spanish, you can get idea about the restaurant.

My other suggestion is to write to your hotel and ask them what they suggest.

Guiaoleo is indeed a good reference. Curiously, however, it does not contain the very popular Bar Norte in the 1300 block of Talcahuano between Marcelo T Alvear and Paraguay (next door to the famous pizzeria, El Cuartito). Bar Norte, located 3 blocks from my apt and 2 1/2 blocks from your hotel is only open for lunch during the week, but opens for dinner on weekends. It is my favorite neighborhood restaurant. The Chicken Calabreza is fantastic, but they serve very good, very abundant parrilla at the best prices. You can eat well for $15 incl the beer. Go at 8 pm to avoid the wait you are likely to encounter after 9 pm on a weekend.

If you want to eat at what many consider the best parrillada in BA, hop in a cab for the $5 ride to La Cabrera (Av Cabrera 5099, 5127) in Palermo Soho. Again, arrive at 8 pm to avoid a long wait. They do not accept reservations for tables after 8:30 and this places gets very crowded. If, and only if, you are a big eater, order the ojo de bife (600 grams). Like all other main dishes it comes with a dozen small side dishes ala an Indonesian Rijsttafel or rice table feast. This feast should cost you less than $30 including the beer. Palermo Soho is a happening neighborhood. After dinner there are lots of bars nearby within which to observe the local Saturday night scene.

A San Telmo alternative is "1880" located at Defensa 1665. San Antelmo is the old neighborhood where most of the tango supper clubs are located should you wish to take in a tango show after dinner. 1880 is a real neighborhood place, long established with fine parrilla and ambience at modest (even by BA standards) prices. A steak dinner (bife de chorizo or ojo de bife) preceeded by a chorizo or morcilla should set you back about $30 including beer. A cab from your hotel will cost about $5.

For an upscale alternative, try El Mirasol de la Recova on Posadas 1032- a 6 block walk from your hotel. The ojo de bife at 400 grams is as good as you will get anywhere. This is a fancier, pricier place. Expect to spend $45 for the chorizo, mixed salad, and ojo de bife plus beer. Although you will find more tourists here El Mirasol offers good value for an upscale place so locals also patronize it.

You can get contact info at the oleo guide site. I recommend reservations except at Bar Norte which doesn't take them or credit cards.

Hi Owl61,

I am also sucking up all this information as eating comes a very close second to shopping when I am on holiday.

I wondered if you could answer my question re shopping malls. I am looking for general leather items, kids clothes, adults clothes etc. I will be staying in the Microcenter area but happy to take a cab to shop somewhere else in the city. Do you, or anyone else have any advice about the Abasto area for shopping or any other recommendations. I am hoping to get the lower prices.

Thanks

Catherine

Hi Owl61,

I am also sucking up all this information as eating comes a very close second to shopping when I am on holiday.

I wondered if you could answer my question re shopping malls. I am looking for general leather items, kids clothes, adults clothes etc. I will be staying in the Microcenter area but happy to take a cab to shop somewhere else in the city. Do you, or anyone else have any advice about the Abasto area for shopping or any other recommendations. I am hoping to get the lower prices.

Thanks

Catherine

If low price is your major consideration try Murillo St shops. The local experts in BA's tripadvisor forum seem to recommend this area for inexpensive leather goods.

If you want good quality try Casa Lopez near the Marriott in San Martin Plaza. I think there is one on Av Alvear near the Hotel Alvear. They are not cheap but have very high quality at prices reasonable in comparison to what you would find outside Arg.

The Patio Bullrich on Posadas Av and Florida St's Galleria Pacifico may have sales (typically only in Decemeber and July). Otherwise you would probably find better bargains at the Alto Palermo shopping center on Av Santa Fe as it is less touristy.

MANY, MANY THANKS for all of the suggestions.

In what I've read in your responses and seen on gazillions of websites, the locals tend to eat very late in the evening.

Are any of these good parillas open for dinner earlier in the day, say at 5:00 or 6:00 PM?

I'm a mentally young solo traveler but my physical being can't keep up with my mind at times. <G>

Am really looking forward to exploring as much of BA as possible in the short time I will be there.

Thanks again!

Jim

MANY, MANY THANKS for all of the suggestions.

In what I've read in your responses and seen on gazillions of websites, the locals tend to eat very late in the evening.

Are any of these good parillas open for dinner earlier in the day, say at 5:00 or 6:00 PM?

Jim

No places are open at 5 pm or 6 pm for dinner. Some stay open till 4 pm for lunch. Most don't open for dinner until 8 pm though you may find a few open a little earlier. A few casual places stay open round the clock but these would not generally be good for a visitor with only one chance to dine out.

Thanks owl61:

Guess I'll plan to get a short rest in the late afternoon before venturing out for dinner.

It appears as though very late dinner is the norm there.

How can people do that every night and get up early in the morning to go to work?

I'd have been like the "walking dead" when I was working if I stayed up that late the night before.

Bar Norte sounds like it may be my kind of place.

Thanks for the advice.

Jim

Archived