6 place tables - How do you sit?

cruzincurt

Some ships have a six seat rectangular table. Assuming you do not know the other tablemates, how would you sit?

Two side-by-side, then two across? All across from each companion?

The first couple to the table will set the layout.

What would you do if you arrive and the first couple is side by side?

What if they are across from each other?

Obviously, the last couple to arrive is stuck with the seating that is left. Would you try to arrive first the next night and change the pattern?

I really dislike the six place rectangular tables.

This happened to us on our very first cruise. We didn't know anyone at our table but soon became well acquainted. We alternated. Each night, a different couple would sit across from each other while the other two couples sat side by side. It worked out great. I'm sure it would depend on the personalities at your table.

My husband and I prefer, whatever the seating configuration, to sit next to each other. It often strikes us as we look around restaurants, how many couples don't. So, maybe you'll get lucky, and there will be the right mix of seating preferences.

Now I am worried. I am cruising for the first time in Aug. (Tahiti!!!!) however, I am traveling alone (not a bad thing REALLY!!). Should I request a table for two or do buffet so that the table is 'balanced'? I am reserved for Traditional late sitting with a table of either 6 or 8 (can't remember...), and would rather not do anytime dining, as I get very nervous when meeting too many different people (oh my that came out wrong. Too many people at one time is what I meant.) I am looking forward to the trip, but would not care to be a third wheel type of thing at dinner.:eek:

no1dragn:

Whoever arranges the seating will often put singles with other singles or a mixture of singles and couples. Regardless, go to dinner the first night and see if you are compatible with your table companions. If not ask to move.

Last year our daughter took a single share while traveling with us. After her cabin mate was alone 2 nights at her assigned table because her tablemates dined elsewhere, my daughter suggested she join our table. We all pushed over a little bit and had a great time.

When dining with the kids, this isn't an issue; however, when DH and I are dining w/o kids, I try to make sure I'm seated so that I don't elbow the person next to me, since I'm left-handed. (If that's unavoidable, I try to make sure DH is to my left - he doesn't mind my elbow!:) )

This happened to us on our very first cruise. We didn't know anyone at our table but soon became well acquainted. We alternated. Each night, a different couple would sit across from each other while the other two couples sat side by side. It worked out great. I'm sure it would depend on the personalities at your table.

Same thing we did, on the advie of our other tablemates. Usually it was 4 of us, 2 nights there were 6, we alternated every night. Was a lot of fun like that, I loved our tablemates!!

Archived