Cayo Levantado

Roxxy

Does anyone know if you can get a tender to Samana - instead of going to the Island? We went to Cayo Lavantado last year and although it was beautiful - we'd like to try a tour of Samana (on a private excursion).

The excusions that MSC offers to Samana are not the same as one that I have found using a private company called Casa Dorado.

I'm afraid that I can't answer your question about Samana, but we're sailing on the Orchestra in April and stopping at Cayo Levantado. I have done a little research, but there isn't really much out there. I'd appreciate a little information, if you don't mind.

I gather that this is not a "private" island, owned by the cruise line, such as Half Moon Cay (Holland America and Carnival), Princess Cay or Disney's private island.

How big is the island? What sorts of things are there to do? My wife and I are not really beach people, so if that's all there is, we may skip it and enjoy the day onboard.

Anything you can tell us would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

I'm curious about this port too. Other cruise lines call it Samana then charge a fortune for a shore excursion to Caya Levantado. How does this work with MSC ? Is the tender to the beach and island free?

Anybody know about chair rental charges or other activities offered on this island?

Anybody have pictures to post?

Thanks.

Cayo Levantado is in fact a private island, therefore safer, more predictable, and arguably less "real" than other parts of the Dominican Republic. I believe MSC either owns or has controlling interest over about half of the island (the other half is a pricey resort). You get free tendering via MSC (I believe other cruise lines charge for it). It is small, with a nice, moderate-sized, somewhat crowded beach, some free entertainment, and food. Relaxing and low-key.

I conversed with someone who had stayed there- computer conversing-- he said it was beautiful. There are food places, bars, and shopping.

We will be there in March and I can hardly wait. Sounds like a great beach day to me--

Tripadvisor has people who talk about it--:o

From my reading on other boards, tenders used to have a fee the first year MSC visited but are now free. The island is where the rum commercials were filmed -- palm trees, white beaches, etc.

It sounds like a relaxing day where a shore excursion is not needed. For those who aren't beach people, I read somewhere you can walk about the island to take in the scenery as it's very remote. (As previously stated above, it's just beach and the hotel that occupies the island.) This may be a nice break from the tourist / shopping frenzy on the other islands.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived