first time with child

how u du n

We are shopping around now for a feb cruise.

We would prefer to do a 5 day departing on a thursday.

This will be the first time cruising with our 6yr. old son.

We have only sailed on Royal Caribbean.

What cruise line do I want to take him on?

Where will he have the most fun with me spending the least amount of money?

any advise?

Thanks in advance.

I found absolutely NO February, Thursday, 5 day cruises (except for one departing Kirkenes, Norway).

5 day cruises departing February from a U.S. port are Carnival Ecstasy (3.5 star) Galveston; Carnival Fantasy (3 star) New Orleans; RCI Grandeur of the Seas (4 star) Tampa; RCI Navigator of the Seas (5 star) Fort Lauderdale; Celebrity Century (4.5 star) Miami; Carnival Destiny (4 star) Miami; Carnival Holiday (3 star) Mobile; Norwegian Jewel (4.5 star) Miami.

Virtually all of these ships depart on Monday or Saturday.

While this is just my opinion, I wouldn't consider anything less than a 4 star ship.

Can't answer your question about which line/ship to use as all are different but can tell you that we chose RCCL to take our 7 year old DGS on for his first cruise. A 4 day. We had to almost drag him away from Adventure Ocean and he couldn't wait to get back each time. Now, he can't wait to go on his next cruise.

I have only been on one cruise, so I am probably as far from an expert as you will find here.

However, that one cruise was with Royal Caribbean, and I took four kids. My eight year old son had a great time with the kids' program, but when I read/see the kids programs on other lines, I almost think there could be better programs out there. The leaders were wonderful, but the RCI Monarch of the Seas did not have it's own kids' pool, whereas it appears many of the Norwegien cruise ships do. I think if i were to take my kids on another cruise, a kids water/pool area would be absolutely necessary for my water babies.

You have to realize that Monarch is RCCI's oldest ship and therefore doesn't have all the bells and whistles their newer ships have. Monarch was built when not many families cruised, so they didn't put much in ships for kids. Ships such as Adventure of the Seas or Freedom of the Seas have incredible offerings for kids. They have dedicated kid's areas, including pools, and you can't beat Adventure Ocean. So, don't judge all RCCI ships on Monarch. Like I said, you were on their oldest ship, so try one of their newer ones and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Our DS is 7 and has been cruising since he was 3 1/2. We've been on Celebrity, Carnival, and Princess. NCL is up next, in January. We've found that all of them have had pretty good facilities and activities for him. He did really enjoy the water slide and soft-serve ice cream on Carnival alot! He loves eating in the dining room and trying new foods.

It would be really hard for us to decide based on the limited info you gave, but since you are familiar with RCCL, you might stick with them. But I do think you need to stick to the newer ships (Voyager and Freedom classes). Navigator is doing a 4-day departing on a Thursday (2/19) but there is only one port. That's the closest thing I could find. Doing a 7 day cruise would really open up your options.

Carnival has some Thursday departures, but they are all four day cruises. They have a five day/four day pattern: Five day cruise leaves on a Monday, followed by another five day leaving Saturday, followed by a four day leaving on Thursday. EM

Archived