future cruise deposit!!!!!!

seabourndt

Camp637 and OCNGYPZ,

We need to clarify the specific flyer we received while on the 2008 world cruise. It came directly from the onboard cruise consultant, and stated that the $100. per person was a reduced deposit, and that was all that was required for the 2010 world cruise until final payment. The flyer specifically said it was for the 2010 Grand Voyage. There was no fine print regarding full cruise or segments not qualifying for this offer. We faxed this flyer to HAL, and they denied what it said. It also included a shipboard credit applied to the 2010 sailing. That was also denied. We were not alone in sending this flyer to HAL through our TA's. All of us were denied.

Bill & Mary Ann

hi i took a future cruise deposit whilst onboard the EURODAM. i was under then impression that it can be used as a deposit on any cruise and nothing more woiuld be payable until the bbalance!!! is this correct? after going thru a uk agent i get told if i want to book it i would still have to pay £300!! nfor a deposit iam sure they have got thisd wrong. i have email holland america to find out who is right. if it is i WILL NOT!! be going on HOLLAND AMERICA EVER AGAIN!!! so i hope they have got it wreong as no way can i afford that. i want tyobook dec 6th 2009 on VOLENDAM.

looking forward to any replies.

dave

Dave, book with a US agency (make sure to only pay by credit card) and avoid this problem. I have used the future cruise deposits and nothing else is required until the 90 day final payment.

Greetings all!

We deposited a segment on the 2010 while on the 2008 world cruise. We had a flyer that stated that a $100 deposit per person was all we needed until final payment.

Well, it did not happen. HAL refused to acknowledge the flyer, and wanted $2800. more. We did not want to lose the category we wanted, so we had to pay the deposit (not happily)! Even with our TA's help, HAL would not budge

Has anyone else had this experience with deposits???

Mary Ann & Bill

I am pretty sure that I have read that the 4100.00 deposit could be applied to any cruise with the exception of the World Cruise. The question is did you just purchase a future cruise deposit, or was it suppose to be specific to that World Cruise?

Camp637 and OCNGYPZ,

We need to clarify the specific flyer we received while on the 2008 world cruise. It came directly from the onboard cruise consultant, and stated that the $100. per person was a reduced deposit, and that was all that was required for the 2010 world cruise until final payment. The flyer specifically said it was for the 2010 Grand Voyage. There was no fine print regarding full cruise or segments not qualifying for this offer. We faxed this flyer to HAL, and they denied what it said. It also included a shipboard credit applied to the 2010 sailing. That was also denied. We were not alone in sending this flyer to HAL through our TA's. All of us were denied.

Bill & Mary Ann

HAL should honor that if that was what was given out. I assume you sent a PDF copy. Find out if the FCC still works for HAL and contact them. I would write a letter to Seattle. What type of credit were you offered?

Camp637 and OCNGYPZ,

Bill & Mary Ann

First, what did you book? A 2010 Grand Voyage or the 2010 Grand World Voyage? There is a difference between the two. Thw Grand Voyage aare the extended length voyages which sail in the fall. The Grand World Voyageand segments thereof - commencing in January.

Here is a recap of a Grand Voyage booked onboard (AMS 9/09). Single occupancy. $100 onboard deposit. Second deposit due 2/09 of $5000.

For "Futuredam" voyages - that is - voyages which are not yet open for booking - a deposit of $500 is required. I see in Polar that although the 2010 WC had been loaded at one point, it was not open for booking. Thus, it would be considered a "futuredam" voyage thus requiring a $500 deposit if someone were booking onboard. Then once the sailing opened for booking, a new invoice would be generated and the need to bring the deposit up to minimum deposit.

Personally, I've found the onboard consultants lacking when it comes to product knowledge.

As a Canadian we can purchase future cruise credits in either US $100 deposits for use in purchasing a cruise in US funds or by purchasing Canadian $100 deposits for use in purchasing a cruise in Canadian funds. We keep a couple of each in our file depending on what Hal is using as a % difference between the Canadian dollar and the US dollar. One thing you must keep in mind, you cannot change the type of deposit you have on file so be sure you know what you want to do before purchasing same.

The deposit we made was for the 2010 Grand World Voyage. It was supposedly a reduced deposit as explained by the onboard cruise consultant, and written on the HAL flyer that we received from her while on the 2008 world cruise. It was not for a future cruise deposit in general. The promised shipboard credit was $100. per person. We did fax this flyer to both our agent and HAL with no luck. We believe now that the cruise consultant made a mistake on her end by sending out that flyer, and HAL will not honor it.

Bill & Mary Ann

We booked a future reduced deposit in May 2007 for $100 per person. It was for a future cruise to be chosen at a later date and had good for four years. In Oct. of this year we booked a twenty-nine cruise on the Volendam for March 2010. The Hal person we talked to told us the cut-off length of a cruise that you could use reduced future deposit was thirty-six days. Our booking has been and now even changed to thirty-four days and we are still okay. (so far)

Archived