What is the propper way to tip your waiter/waitress?

Trnkk

Hi All,

First of all, we hope everyone had a very happy Thanksgiving and also a Very Merry Upcoming Christmas and a Happy New Year 2009!!!!

WE are all new at cruising our very first cruise was last Feb, 08 and the second is this Feb' 09. On our first cruise we gave the tip envelope to our waitress at the table on the last night but we noticed quite a few people handled the tip envelope to the Maitre'd. Did we do it right? What is the propper way to do it? And what is the difference in giving it to the waiter/waitress and to the Maitre'd? There's a lot to learn in cruising and we are learning still. Thanks!!!

The tip for your waitstaff is already included in your gratuities fee, the matre'd is not included in this. If you wish to give more to the waitstaff for a great time/service we usually give the head waiter and his assistant cash, hubby just hands it to them and shakes thier hand. There will be an envelope in your room for the matre'd if you wish to tip them put some cash in and give it to them the last night. We have only once tipped a matre'd and that was because he was the only one that even came to our table and introduced himself. I couldnt even tell you what the others looked like.

The envelope that you recieve in your cabin on the last day is for tipping the MD, not your waiter. You won't receive an envelope for the wait staff. If you want to tip them, just give them cash on the last evening. Give 'em a hug or hand shake and then hand them the $$$.

Although we always give tips to the waiter and asst. waiter separately, I've heard that they pool these tips and split them somehow.

Your onboard account.....Sail & Sign account.......will be automatically charged $10 per person per day for automatic tips that go to your dining room waiter/assistant, cabin steward/assistant, and other misc. hotel and Lido dining staff.

The auto-tips break down like this:

$5.50 Dining room waiter & assistant

$3.50 Cabin steward & assistant

$1.00 Other kitchen & hotel staff

Some folks also tip extra to their cabin steward and/or dining room wait team. I have always just handed the cash to them in person.

The envelopes for the Maitre' D are separate from your dining room wait team. If you give money directly to the Maitre' D, he keeps it for himself. It is not necessary to tip him unless he does something extra for you (like if you ask to be moved to a different table from the one assigned to you) or you just really want to tip him for whatever reason.

I've tipped a Matire d' only once when he moved me to a different table. I used the envelope that is in the cabin for that purpose.

EXTRA tipping is at your discretion, to the waitstaff and to the cabin steward.:)

I usually tip the waiter on the 2nd or 3rd night. When I first started to cruise I read that the tips on the last night have to be shared but if you tip them earlier in the week they can keep it all. I hand it to them and say this is a little extra over the standard tip so they know they are still getting the auto-tips.

I usually tip the waiter on the 2nd or 3rd night. When I first started to cruise I read that the tips on the last night have to be shared but if you tip them earlier in the week they can keep it all. I hand it to them and say this is a little extra over the standard tip so they know they are still getting the auto-tips.

Our only maitre d' tip is when he moved us to a different table. You can give extra tips to the cabin steward and waitstaff, but it's at your discretion. ;)

Each cruiseline does the tip thing their own way. For instance, Princess pools ALL tips even tho they are part of the Carnival family of cruiselines. Cash over tips are also supposed to go into the pool regardless when they're given.

While Carnival designates exactly who gets what amounts and the only pooling is $1.00 pppd for the buffet staff. Your personal room steward and your personal wait staff get the rest. Drinks have 15% added and that goes to the bar staff. If auto-tips are left in place, ANY cash extra tips are kept by the person receiving them.

MSC charges $12.00 pppd and pools the entire amount and even the bartenders and waiters/waitresses share in the pool.

RCL will add tips to your account and will give you vouchers and envelopes to hand to the wait staff, steward on the last night. But that is to make you feel good. If you just leave the tips on your account, your servers will get the money, vouchers or no vouchers.

There is no universal procedure.

Dan

I agree with the majority here, I've only tipped Matre D' once, and this was on Celebrity, we had the biggest complainer at our table and the M.D was always trying to make him happy. He got a big tip from us simply because he worked so hard for that chump and inadvertantly us.

We always tip our waiter and assistant waiter with the auto tips and then on the last night we bring envelopes with their names and give them extra, they actually get a pretty good sized tip in the envelope if they've given us a really good dining experience, I really believe in rewarding excellence, but I've never stiffed for any reason, these people work hard.

We do the same with our cabin steward.

Hope this helps. Cheers, Carole

Archived