Here I am again with some basic novice questions!!!

Our flight arrives in San Juan at 5:35 PM, we are sailing on the Serenade of the Seas which departs at 10:00 PM that evening (Feb. 14)....I have signed up for airport transfers from Royal Carribean, but worry if my flight is delayed a couple of hours.....Do you think we would be okay?

They say we need to check in one hour early....is that getting in line by then or actually checked into the boat?

Oh...and now for the really stupid question....When we get to the pier, what do we do? Is it a pretty easy process? Do we go through customs or anything like that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

If you are late you wont get on ship. Have tried to extend just 30 mins for our departure DEc 23rd and ship doesnt sail till 24th. Finally had to take early morning flight to get there before they close at 5.30.P>M> All that is from Sydney Australia??

Our flight arrives in San Juan at 5:35 PM, we are sailing on the Serenade of the Seas which departs at 10:00 PM that evening (Feb. 14)....I have signed up for airport transfers from Royal Carribean, but worry if my flight is delayed a couple of hours.....Do you think we would be okay?

They say we need to check in one hour early....is that getting in line by then or actually checked into the boat?

Oh...and now for the really stupid question....When we get to the pier, what do we do? Is it a pretty easy process? Do we go through customs or anything like that?

Mike

Hey Mike...

I believe checked in means CHECKED IN as opposed to in line.....did you do air thru Royal Carib??? If you did air on your own, i would NOT do the RC transfers and just hop a cab...i presume you are sailing from San Juan...cab fare is a flat rate, and they will tell you this when you go to the taxi stand....IIRC it's 19 or 20 bucks per cab (and a little bit, maybe a dollar per bag...you WILL know how much the fare is though, excluding tip!)

when you get to the pier, follow the signs...no customs on leaving (san juan is a US port). Go to RCs website and do the on line check in....print out your set sail pass and take that with you. Give that, your ID and Credit card to the agent, they will do their computer stuff and give you your sea pass cards.

then, you will get your security photo taken and get on the ship (basically!) your cary on lugage will go thru a scanner like at the airport, and you go thru the magnetometer (again, just like the a/p!)

then you are DONE!!!! it's really easy! SJ was the port of embarkation for our first cruise and i had no idea.....but it's really just like checking into a hotel and getting on an airplane all rolled into one!! :D

not a dumb question at all!! have a great time....we only got home from explorer 6 hours ago and i have having post cruise withdrawal already!

Mike

pastormike, From what city are you flying? If everything goes okay, you'll be fine. If the ship sails at 10, you will need to be on it by no later than 9. Can you arrive at your home airport earlier in the day and try to get on a standby flight earlier? Or, alternatively, if you see that your original flight is not boarding in a timely manner, is there another flight going to San Juan that will arrive in time? If you air ticket bought through RCCL, they will guarantee that the ship will wait for you.

As for the process when you get to the pier, it consists of several steps. You will first drop off any luggage with the porters, then you will queue up to present you Sign and Sail pass and passport. Next is security, like at the airport, then you enter the terminal where you will get you SeaPass card. Finally you will line up to have two photos taken, one for purchase later on the ship if you wish, and one that is tied to your SeaPass card, so they know it's actually you getting on and off the ship.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Mike

Mike, my friend, I missed my HONEYMOON CRUISE DEPARTURE because I flew in the day of the cruise (hey, I was busy getting married the day before) and because of a series of foul ups by several airlines, I spent the first night of my cruise at home, the second night in a Cozumel dirtbag hotel and caught my ship the third day. (unfortunately, my luggage didn't make the cruise at all).

If you are late and miss your departure, you are going to have to meet your ship at the next port of call.

Hope you have trip insurance and good weather!!! Good luck!

Unless you have air from RCI I would never fly in the same day of the cruise unless it was less than a one hour flight., i.e. Las Vegas to Los Angeles.

To me it is worth flying in the day before and enjoying the night in a nice hotel before embarking on your cruise.:)

Unless you have air from RCI I would never fly in the same day of the cruise unless it was less than a one hour flight., i.e. Las Vegas to Los Angeles.

To me it is worth flying in the day before and enjoying the night in a nice hotel before embarking on your cruise.:)

I have been on nine cruises and have never had a problem flying in on embarkation day. I live in the center of the US, Dallas, and have many options for flying to the east or west coast. I just make sure that I've done my homework. If I'm going to MIA, and the flights leave at 6, 7, 8, 9, etc., I make sure I'm on one of the early flights, with options to move to one of the later ones if there is a delay. Depending on where pastormike lives, it may or may not be prudent for him to fly in on embarkation day. The ship doesn't sail until 10pm.

You better check your times. You must be checked in 90 minutes before according to homeland security. Less than that and you will be denied boarding. They are getting very strict. Ditch the transfers and grab a cab, very easy and very organized.

You better check your times. You must be checked in 90 minutes before according to homeland security. Less than that and you will be denied boarding. They are getting very strict. Ditch the transfers and grab a cab, very easy and very organized.

SueL:

I have a question I would like to ask you and it does not relate to this topic.

Thank you!

Debbi

Thanks for the help....My home airport is Atlanta, the flight is non stop. How long will it take me to get from the airport to the pier? I figure if I get in by 8:00, I should still be able to make it to the pier by 9....that gives me 2 2/2 hours of leeway for the flight to be late or delayed. This is the earliest flight from Atlanta to San Juan.....

Thanks for the help....My home airport is Atlanta, the flight is non stop. How long will it take me to get from the airport to the pier? I figure if I get in by 8:00, I should still be able to make it to the pier by 9....that gives me 2 2/2 hours of leeway for the flight to be late or delayed. This is the earliest flight from Atlanta to San Juan.....

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that Delta has several A.M. flights to SJU. Don't know about the other airlines?

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that Delta has several A.M. flights to SJU. Don't know about the other airlines?

Just checked and Delta has a 8:30 am flight that would get you in at 1:06. I am a TA and I would NEVER schedule a flight that close for myself or a client. 2-2 1/2 hours delays are nothing and you are flying on one of the busiest days of the year because of the President's week break. Frankly I would go in a day early if at all possible and if not I would switch to an earlier flight if you can.

If you get in on time you must allow 30- 45 minutes to get off and for you to get luggage and then it is another 20 minutes or so to the pier once you are in a taxi and I would allow 15 minutes for that. They are very organized but you should allow time. So if you land at 8pm, add minimum time of the other things that is 9:10 at the earliest, so you just missed the window of 90 minutes beforehand. You must be checked in by 8:30 or you will be left behind.

Flying the day of is something I would never do again. Too many ways to get delayed and miss the ship and way too stressful. We fly in the day before and stay in a hotel near the port so we can be relaxed and onboard early the day of sailing. Even if you cannot do this, I would be looking for an early morning non-stop flight. A snow delay anywhere on the grid can cause delays everywhere.

Flying the day of is something I would never do again. Too many ways to get delayed and miss the ship and way too stressful. We fly in the day before and stay in a hotel near the port so we can be relaxed and onboard early the day of sailing. Even if you cannot do this, I would be looking for an early morning non-stop flight. A snow delay anywhere on the grid can cause delays everywhere.

So true, you can't just consider where you are flying from (Atlanta in this case) but where the flight is originating from.

Archived