Cruise price for fam of 5...??

bnsilly

I would love to take my family on a Disney cruise, but do not see how we can afford it...Do some of you Disney faithfuls have some tips to help me book a lower price, etc? We are a family of 5 (My husb, myself, 19 yr son, 15&13 yr daughters)

I am getting an online quote of $7200 for a 4 day cruise....HELP!

I would love to take my family on a Disney cruise, but do not see how we can afford it...Do some of you Disney faithfuls have some tips to help me book a lower price, etc? We are a family of 5 (My husb, myself, 19 yr son, 15&13 yr daughters)

$7,200 for a 4 day?

You must be looking at a peak time like Christmas or Easter and going with a category 4 or above.

We are a family of 5.

Our next cruise is the last week of January 2009 for a 7 day cruise in a room with a veranda, cat 4.

Cost breakdown:

Cruise Port charges Taxes Total Tax Total

Adult $1,656.00 $159.00 $69.90 $1,884.90

Adult $1,656.00 $159.00 $69.90 $1,884.90

Child 12 $486.00 $159.00 $69.90 $714.90

Child 8 $486.00 $159.00 $69.90 $714.90

Child 5 $486.00 $159.00 $54.90 $699.90

7 day, cat 4, with a veranda Total= $5,899.50

Ideas to save:

- Book well in advance

- Look at a non-peak times like late January

- To save even more, skip the veranda, Book 2 adjoining inside cabins

Considering the ages of your children, you may want to consider two connecting cabins. 2 Cat. 10s (inside) or 2 Cat. 9s (window) are usually less expensive than one Cat. 4. Another option if you want a window or Verandah is to book one Cat. 9,8,7,6 or 5 and an inside cabin directly across.

With two cabins you will have more space and best of all two bathrooms.:)

Thanks..yes, I like the idea of a verandah and then an inside across the hall.. Will look into that.

I know other cruise lines would be cheaper and will keep that as an option, but would like to do the Disney cruise at least once for the magic of it all...

I just paid $1200 for a 3 day for a fam of 4...cat 10 inside and then was upgraded to cat 9 outside

my 4th is only 1 so I don't know if that makes a difference and we booked through travel agent using a S FL Resident code

we leave thursday

I just paid $1200 for a 3 day for a fam of 4...cat 10 inside and then was upgraded to cat 9 outside

my 4th is only 1 so I don't know if that makes a difference and we booked through travel agent using a S FL Resident code

we leave thursday

You got a great rate since you only pay the taxes and fees for the 1yo and you got a FL res. rate.

Here's a hint for another money saving for next time: book a cat. 12 cabin and you will at least be upgraded to a cat. 11 cabin since the cat. 12's don't hold 4 people but can be booked that way. Couple that with a FL res. rate and you have a good deal.

Here is what I just booked thru Disney last night...7 day cruise for a family of 4 (ages 4 & 7) leaving May 30 for $2400 for a Cat 12! This includes taxes and port charges but does not include insurance, air or transfers. I have been watching prices daily and there are regular sales for May 30 and June 6 sailings, you just have to be quick. Example: This same cruise was pricing at $4600 throughout the day but I decided to check one more time at 6:00 CST and got the new pricing. The Disney PVP told me that inventory control works from 8:00 - 5:00 EST and sometimes they make changes just before the leave for the day. I don't know if this is what happened but it worked for me. The savings was enough to pay for airfare and make the trip affordable. We would prefer the June 6 route but for this price, we will make do!

Tip...keep checking daily and you just might do as well as I did. The PVP said they have never seen so many deals as what is going on now. I saw the same price on Monday morning but it was gone and then it showed up again Tuesday evening. Western route seems to have more sales than Eastern route.

Here is what I just booked thru Disney last night...7 day cruise for a family of 4 (ages 4 & 7) leaving May 30 for $2400 for a Cat 12! This includes taxes and port charges but does not include insurance, air or transfers. I have been watching prices daily and there are regular sales for May 30 and June 6 sailings, you just have to be quick. Example: This same cruise was pricing at $4600 throughout the day but I decided to check one more time at 6:00 CST and got the new pricing. The Disney PVP told me that inventory control works from 8:00 - 5:00 EST and sometimes they make changes just before the leave for the day. I don't know if this is what happened but it worked for me. The savings was enough to pay for airfare and make the trip affordable. We would prefer the June 6 route but for this price, we will make do!

Tip...keep checking daily and you just might do as well as I did. The PVP said they have never seen so many deals as what is going on now. I saw the same price on Monday morning but it was gone and then it showed up again Tuesday evening. Western route seems to have more sales than Eastern route.

Ok great..I will keep checking...

keep checking the websites and you may want to use a TA specializing in Dis cruising. Our TA has gotten us 6 Disney crusies and we have always paid HALF of what they list for on the Disney Cruiseline site. We are taking our second 7-niter with Dis (Western) in the middle of June for $2700!! We have a family of 5, so we get 2 rooms joining, in or out and we get double the space, double the bathrooms and a happier family for the same price as squeezing into one room. We usually end up taking a family member or friend too since we have the space. You will have to present a photo ID, verifying you place of residency. Good luck to you and have fun!

Tips are also to be considered. About $11.00 per day, per person. That average is well worth it. Excursions can be reasonable, to very exspensive. Souveniers, ship board pictures, adult beverages, etc... Are you flying in? Same day? Transfers, or rental vehicle? Trip insurance is a must, don't leave without it. Passports for everyone? The fare is the only differance between cruise lines, all other monies spent, are pretty much the same. If you want to do Disney, the fare price is slightly higher. If it's possible, and that's what you really want to do, than do Disney. Don't wish you were on it, to save money, do it! The Disney Cruise, is an Adventure. Maybe just once in a lifetime, who knows? Fall fares are less exspensive, cruise's aren't cheaper. Metrowon

Keep looking, you will be able to find a deal. I just booked last night for a sailing on May 16th for $2476 total including fees on a 7 night Disney cruise. I never thought we would be able to sail on Disney because of how expensive it was so when I saw that price, I jumped on it.

The special for kids sail wouldn't apply as all three of the OP's kids are over the age of 12. I would think the best and cheapest suggestion would be to do two cabins instead of one and the insides are generally fine if you are looking to decrease the cost. I have taken two cruises with my kids both with inside cabins and trust me we were never in the cabin long enough to care and when sleeping it didn't really matter. With two cabins you would definately then have more room.

The cost goes up to an extreme amount with 5 because of the cabin category they make you book.

Archived