Stupid TA's & Christmas Cruising! :)

Wicked

I'm so upset! I'm booked on the Legend for Xmas, my mom and dad who are 66 and 76 respectively finally decided to think about joining us. I told her to wait that I'd speak to my PVP, but she decided to go see a TA close to her house.

The TA told her she'd hate Carnival that it's not suited for people her age and tried to push her to take a Princess Cruise! I about blew a fuse! I explained to my mother that this TA probably had never even been on a Carnival Cruise and was probably making more commissions from Princess. That I had been on many many Carnival cruises and have yet to see the "horrible" things they say happens on them. That perhaps during springbreak/Summer it was worse, but all cruiselines had this problem, not just Carnival. And this is Christmas!! It's so family oriented that she surely won't see it now either.

Can those of you who have sailed during Christmas reassure my mom that she is indeed in for an absolutely wonderful time!!! :) I'm so looking forward to them coming and I hate to think a TA just blew months of my convincing in one brief moment!

Argh! :)

Oh Christmas is a marvelous time to cruise, we do it every year and last year was on the Carnival Legend. You can expect a bunch of extra goodies for the premium price you'll pay too. From non-denominational holiday decorations to old Santa Claus walking the decks to free flowing champagne upon embarkation, its a really special cruise. Here's some more specific information too but that TA is doing what a lot of them do; stereotyping cruise line passengers, trying to fit us in nice little boxes.

Don't hold it against him/her, they all do it.

But you seem to know (correctly IMHO) better.

There are differences between the two lines but nothing that would keep you from having a fabulous holiday cruise....I know we sure did, on that same ship.

Mom and Dad: Your kid is right, it's going to be fun!

We cruised the week before Christmas on the Carnival Pride two years ago and are cruising the same week this year on Carnival Miracle. We love to cruise this particular week. The ship is decorated beautifully, Santa comes and the children did skits on stage. Everyone was in a fesitve mood and it was great. We are in our sixties too. Would cruise at Christmas everytime if possible.

Val.

I'd have to ask her why she would believe the words of a stranger and not yourself who's been quite a few Carnival cruises. I'd also tell her that if Carnival was as bad as the TA said how come they're the most popular cruise line in the WORLD. I'd also show her Porthole magazine's awards so she can see how many Carnival won AGAIN.

It's a shame that some travel agents cannot just give ther customer what they want and not try to talk them into other things.

Well, I love Carnival. But, I won't travel during the Christmas Holiday. Even if it was less. I personal do not want to be on a cruise at that time due to the large number of children. I've cruised during Kid times with kids. But when I go with just my DH and hopfully when I get my mom on I'll make sure it isn't during the Holidays or spring break. I'll be taking her the weeks just before or just after.

We are sailing for New Years on the Miracle and can't wait.

From what I have read the Princess is a little dead compared to Carnival which we love.

Your Mom and Dad will love Carnival.

Save the Princess and Holland American for when they are in a wheelchair ! HA HA!

I am sure they are fun too -- but Carnival is A LOT OF FUN!!

Enjoy!

Hey Wicked! My folks, dad is 75 (the Cruising Colonel) and mom is 73 are going on the same cruise!!! They have cruised so many times I've lost count, up to 20+ cruises, and this will be our third Carnival cruise with them. They have had a wonderful time on each Carnival cruise they have taken (got pictures and video to prove it!)....

This is going to be our first holiday cruise, and we're so excited about it...

Hey dad, jump in here..... maybe he can add a word or two to help your parents get excited about cruising with you! ...

Linda

43 days and counting

We took our parents. My mother and DW father the week before christmas on the VIctory 2 years ago. When I told them we were planning a December 11-18th cruise this year they both said, "there is room for us right!" So Mom 65, Dad in law 62, Aunt 62 and Cousin 50 along with assorted friends are making our way to the TRIUMPH.

Your folks will love Carnival! Have a great time Oh,.Merry Christmas...or.. er.....Feliz Navidad!

We were on the Triumph over christmas '01 and it was wonderful. the ship was decroated nicely and people were in the holiday spirit.....we even sang christmas carrols in the atrium on christmas eve with all the other late seating diners. I never thought there was a disproportionate number of children on board either........ and most were very well behaved.......a few played on the elevators at times but so what. your parents will have a great time on carnival...... we took my 76 yo MIL on the triumph in 02 and she loved it. tell them not to worry. its all in the attitude.

Wicked - You know we're going with you also, remember my Mom is 79 now and won't cruise any line but Carnival. I introduced (got her hooked more like) on the old Royal Viking Line on which you DRESSED for dinner everynight!

She loves Carnival becuase as she puts it...............Everyone is so friendly and everybody is soooo much fun! So we have now sailed on Spirit (5/03 Honolulu to Vancouver), Glory (New Years sailing 12/27/03) now booked back-to-back Legend (Christmas & New Year's 12/21 & 12/29 sailings - Her Idea!) and Spirit again on 4/2/05 (8 day Mexico).

Drop me a line or check our "List" for my Cell phone number and I'll get my Mom to talk to your Mom! Lorna

Gosh that is horrible of a TA to do that....I've not sailed at Christmas but Host Chris has and I'll send him this thread.......Good luck with the parents.:)

In theory, ti's not horrible. In fact, if done properly that's exactly what you want a professional TA to do -- evaluate your needs and wants and make recommendations based on that info.

You can argue that the TA is wrong in this case or mis-informed but it's his/her job to steer clients to an appropriate choice.

Hi Wicked, As you can see in my signature, I am going on my third Carnival cruise soon. We were on the Paradise in 2003 over Christmas and had a wonderful cruise. The decorations and all of the extras were very nice. Please encourage your parents to go with Carnival. There is a mixture of all ages on every cruise. Carnival is my preference. I am also 75. Have a great trip.

I haven't cruised in Christmas, but I cruised in the summer with my mother who is 57. I'm 33. This was her first cruise. She thought there would only be young people on board. She loved it! It was all family oriented, and there were people of all ages. She is going on her 2nd cruise on December 15-17 aboard the Valor for the inaugural 2 day cruise to the Bahamas.

We sailed on Christmas Day with Carnival and had an absolutely wonderful time. There was a special supper that evening to celebrate Christmas. Lots of beautiful decorations everywhere. It seemed that the crew were especially festive. Christmas is a special time for crew and passengers alike, and they seemed very happy to be sailing that day. I highly recommend cruising over the holidays. I hope that your parents will decide to go.

Cathy

In theory, ti's not horrible. In fact, if done properly that's exactly what you want a professional TA to do -- evaluate your needs and wants and make recommendations based on that info.

You can argue that the TA is wrong in this case or mis-informed but it's his/her job to steer clients to an appropriate choice.

This makes a really BIG ASSUMPTION. One assumes the TA is making a recommendation based on fact or personal knowledge. You use the term "professional", which is very loose.

I keep trying to work with T/A's but often find out I know more than they do - not on something personal like favorite cruise line, but on real facts regarding itinerary, or port or pricing, or deal, etc. etc. Amazing how many TAs just don't have all the information. I do have to give them a bit of credit.. there is way too much to know these days.

We have never cruised over the holidays but on the Victory, we shared a hot tub with a couple that were in their 80's. They said that they enjoyed Carnival more than any other cruise line because the fellow passengers were more fun to be with. It kept them young. They had been on so many cruises that they couldn't even remember the number. Later that night, there was a dance contest and low and behold, right in the middle of the dancers were the same elderly couple dancing up a storm. Age has no boundries on Carnival.

Archived