Advice needed - former CVC client...

dfisher9

Hi. I was one of the clients caught in the CVC mess. They took my final payment back in September but did not forward it to Carnival. Mastercard today informed me..."we are temporarily crediting your account. however, pending the results of our investigations, if it is determined that no fraudulent activity took place, then the disputed amount will be re-posted to your account." My question is do you think I am safe now to go ahead and pay that amount to Carnival to protect my booking. I do NOT want to have to pay this final balance twice. The cruise is NOT worth the extra funding to me and I can not afford it in any event. Thanks for your advice.

Hi. I was one of the clients caught in the CVC mess. They took my final payment back in September but did not forward it to Carnival. Mastercard today informed me..."we are temporarily crediting your account. however, pending the results of our investigations, if it is determined that no fraudulent activity took place, then the disputed amount will be re-posted to your account." My question is do you think I am safe now to go ahead and pay that amount to Carnival to protect my booking. I do NOT want to have to pay this final balance twice. The cruise is NOT worth the extra funding to me and I can not afford it in any event. Thanks for your advice.

While I would hope that you are safe and that CVC is held responsible, if they ain't got no money to repay what they took from many clients, I would assume that your potential 2nd charge is entirely possible since no one knows how long it will take to be determined if their actions were deemed "fraudulant" or not. It's really a crap shoot right now and may not be determined until after you would have returned from your cruise.

My guess is that if CVC didn't give Carnival your money then that would be the fraudulent activity they will be looking at. Call your cc company and confirm that.

While I would hope that you are safe and that CVC is held responsible, if they ain't got no money to repay what they took from many clients, I would assume that your potential 2nd charge is entirely possible since no one knows how long it will take to be determined if their actions were deemed "fraudulant" or not. It's really a crap shoot right now and may not be determined until after you would have returned from your cruise.

Isn't there a time limit for the CC to investigate these kinds of disputes?

I thought it was like 60 days or something?

Bill

If it is fraud there is no time limit.

OK I think I posted incorrectly or at least I think I did.

When I was asking about the time limit i was referring to the credit card company coming to a final resolution in the filing in your complaint.

I didn't mean that you have 60 days to dispute it if that's what you thought.

Bill <----clear as mud now I'm sure.:p

Hi

I dont know if these are in use any longer.. but I had an issue with CVC last year and have some email addresses.. I also have the email address for the President of that online competition TA (who is listed on CC's cruise agents) who addressed my issue with CVC..

Can I post those emails? I have no idea how the cruise critic rules apply in this situation......

:confused:

OK I think I posted incorrectly or at least I think I did.

When I was asking about the time limit i was referring to the credit card company coming to a final resolution in the filing in your complaint.

I didn't mean that you have 60 days to dispute it if that's what you thought.

Bill <----clear as mud now I'm sure.:p

I think it is 60 days, but I had a dispute years ago that took over 3 months to be resolved but finally worked out in my favor. Perhaps each c.card has a different timeline on disputes though ?

You won't have any problem. This company kept the money for themselves and didn't forward your payment to Carnival. Go ahead and make your payment.

I, too had booked with these guys.....for several years and was always happy. My final payment was made on September 15 and, fortunately, my payment was made. My brother and his wife weren't so lucky. They paid everything in July....but only the deposit was sent. Our cruise is on the 14 December. He immediately called his credit company and they backed the charges out in 3 days. He then called Carnival and gave them the payment.

Lots of folks have been similarly affected.......

I'm in the same stuation. I'm pretty sure that you (we) are safe.

My card company was aware of the CVC situation and indicated that there was no way that CVC could successfully protest under the circumstances. Nevertheless, I got a similar disclaimer as you did on the credit card company lettter.

Print out the current posting on the CVC website that says you should get a refund from your credit card folks.

As I understand it, the only way that charges could be reversed is if CVC protested and showed that they had provided the "service." Ain't going to happen!

As always this is FWIW and YMMV.

Yes you are safe using your account. What you describe is how this is handled, you will get your credit and MC will pursue their remedies against CVC in bankruptcy court. The fraud mentioned would be any fraud that you might have committed, and you didn't, so nothing to worry about. These things happen every day. It is not a big deal.

We have been gone for over 2 weeks on cruises and not on the boards.

Can someone bring me up to date on what is happening with CVC?

CVC went out of business and it was found that they were taking client's payments for cruises and not forwarding them to the cruise company's.

Their website now says

CRUISE VALUE CENTER HAS TEMPORARILY STOPPED TAKING NEW BOOKINGS.

HERE IS SOME HELPFUL INFORMATION.

Call the Cruise Line to find out the status of your booking.

If they have your deposit and final payment received… then have them send your documents to your home address.

If they have your deposit and you have not been charged for your final payment… then make your final payment to them and have your documents sent to your home address.

If they have your deposit and you have been charged on your credit card but the Cruise Line has not received the final payment… then call your credit card company and “dispute” the charge. You may receive your money back and you can pay the Cruise Line directly.

Regarding travel insurance … please contact the insurance company directly.

Any financial loss may be covered by your travel insurance… your homeowners insurance… or your credit card insurance. We suggest you contact them.

You may contact us by U.S. Mail only.

Cruise Value Center

6 Edgeboro Road

East Brunswick, NJ 08816

E-Mail and phone calls can not be read or answered.

Thanks for the info.

Whenever I hear CVC....I think Carnival Vacation Club.

Glad to hear it was not them; although sorry to hear about any issues like this that cruisers have.

With the economy so tight, it is a shame this is yet another thing they have to deal with.

Archived