Yellow Fever Vaccination Needed? Costa Rica

Dazza5858

Hello

I am a uk citizien and travelling on the RC Jewel of the Seas on 29th December stopping at Cartagana Columbia, Panama Canal and Costa Rica and am getting conflicting advise on the requirements of a yellow fever certificate.

As I understand it there is no requirement to get a yellow fever jab for any of these areas as they are built up areas. The problem comes that some people say because I am visiting Colombia then Costa Rica will require a certificate before being allowed into their country.

Has anyone out there done this cruise? Have they been denied entry to Costa Rica? or worse been denied entry onto the ship.

The easy thing would been get the jabs, but at £260 for the family I'd prefer not unless it was necessary or a risk area.

Thanks

We returned from Celebrity Panama Canal cruise recently; calling at Cartagena, through the canal, Costa Rica, then Mexico and San Diego. We were not required to show Yellow Fever certificates, although we do have them. I would go and see the Practice Nurse at your GP's surgery, and get him/her to look it up for you.

We had the yellow fever jabs for that area a few years ago. It was recommended but not compulsory.

Nobody asked if we had them.

The reason it costs so much is tha it is a live vaccine. We had to go to our local hospital to get them. We did not have any reaction to the jabs.

However, if you are not going into the jungle I wouldn`t bother but you would be better to check with your practice nurse anyway.

Archived