Dining and Dress on Pacific Princess

Hawaiian Mongoose

[quote name='Toto2Kansas']The one thing I have learned about others posting their experiences on message boards is that you don't know (and they usually don't tell) exactly when they saw/were told/ experienced this.

Was it last week? Last year? Three years ago? The timing makes a huge difference as what is accepted now, was not accepted before.

I love it when some post they received a great upgrade from Princess, without mentioning the date. Then when asked, they reveal it was the week after 9/11 or back in 1999. But by not mentioning the date, they get those cruising next week in an uproar wanting to know why they didn't get an upgrade like that during spring break?

So, those that have posted they saw someone turned away, unless they were standing there listening to the conversation, have absolutely no idea why those passengers left. There could have been other circumstances involved here.
And I have also learned that many reports here on the cruise message boards are so vague at times, I keep them in mind, but do not read them as gospel! Just my opinion of coarse!

I can tell you 'from experience' that we have watched as many men with just a long sleeved dress shirt and dress pants have entered the diningrooms, on both large and the smaller classes of ships within the last two years, on formal nights. They have not been turned away and have not even questioned. So, since I have seen it with my own eyes, and I can believe ME, I side with those saying that the cruise line requests formal attire, but it isn't actually necessary. The one thing we have overheard passengers being told on formal night is that short sleeved shirts were not permitted, they had to return to their stateroom and put on a long sleeved shirt to enter the diningroom on formal night. ;)[/quote]

Well, I don't own any long sleeve dress shirts and have been allowed in with my short sleeve dress shirt, coat and tie.

Again, I don't think that advice should be given that it is OK across the fleet when one does not know that for sure. A lot of people make decisions on what they read here - SO - what they read here had better be factual and current. Don't you agree?

Ron

[quote name='Parrot Mom']IMO it is a poor excuse.... perhaps they should cruise NCL or Carnival... If the cruise lines have standards.. then they should impose them..period[/QUOTE]

It's the only one I've got & perhaps you feel they should, but they don't & that's fine by me & a few others. Maybe you'd be happier with a more formal cruise line? :confused: NCL is to informal & Carnival to much of a party crowd...
Princess is just right. :D

[quote name='coiran']Well, I don't own any long sleeve dress shirts and have been allowed in with my short sleeve dress shirt, coat and tie.

Again, I don't think that advice should be given that it is OK across the fleet when one does not know that for sure. A lot of people make decisions on what they read here - SO - what they read here had better be factual and current. Don't you agree?

Ron[/quote]

The long sleeve dress shirt was because there was no coat and tie. Under your jacket, they don't care what you are wearing. I am talking those that decide a suit or sport jacket is not for them. :rolleyes:

[quote name='rcacace'][COLOR=red]I could give specific ships & dates but what good would that really do since the Maitre D's change almost every few months anyway. I'm speaking in generalities which apply to all the Princess cruise line & all the ships. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=red] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=red] [/COLOR]

Maybe it's just because he doesn't want to & knows that's it not a hard & fast rule?[/quote]

Then you agree that your advising that you do not have to have a coat or tie is not factual and current across the fleet and with all Maitr De's. Thank you - no further questions.

Ron

[quote name='coiran']Well, I don't own any long sleeve dress shirts and have been allowed in with my short sleeve dress shirt, coat and tie.

Again, I don't think that advice should be given that it is OK across the fleet when one does not know that for sure. A lot of people make decisions on what they read here - SO - [COLOR="Red"]what they read here had better be factual and current. [/COLOR] Don't you agree?

Ron[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B]Absolutely, and it is. [/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='coiran']Then you agree that your advising that you do not have to have a coat or tie is not factual and current across the fleet and with all Maitr De's. Thank you - no further questions.

Ron[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Black"]As I said many times previously, they can request jacket, but they do not enforce the issue. You know as well as I, that this has been documented by many others beside myself & like it or not, this is the stance that the Maitre D's take in order to not antagonize the general passengers. They are put in a situation of enforcing the issue for people such as yourself or looking the other way & I'm sure they're not enjoying the job as they have many other duties besides that of fashion police. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Cruisin Bob']You are correct that the passengers are older and dress more formally in general.

You are incorrect that you are likely to be turned away with out a Jacket.

Some people just like casual cruising. ;)

Princess recognizes these changing trends and welcomes casual cruisers as well as the old school formal types. It is just the way it is.

If a casual cruiser runs into the mythical old school maitre d' that turns them away when neatly dressed with out a jacket, then telling him the suit is in the lost luggage are the keys to the golden city (and the MDR as well :D )

I have eaten in the MDR with a very pleasant family in shorts and T shirts on FORMAL night because all of the families luggage was lost by the airline. This family had a wonderful vacation and was not denied being seated in the MDR on formal night even though they did not even meet the standards Princess has for casual night.

Princess will not let your vacation be ruined due to lost luggage :D[/QUOTE]

Plse note I said the smaller ships and I stand firmly behind my statement that 'usually' u will not be encouraged to enter the DR on formal evenings, on those ships in particular, without a jacket & tie.

As for 'fooling' the staff or in the case of folks who are actually unlucky enough to be in that circumstance - might work just after u have sailed but not likely further into the cruise..on other formal evenings.
Then again they might be encouraged to eat in the buffet instead & this is highly likely on the smaller ships!

Then again, I guess if folks are so intent on dressing outside the recommended/suggested attire, can get into the DR and do not care they are considered 'out of place' - go ahead..!
Won't affect my cruise or likely anyone elses for that matter.

Have happy cruisin'!

[quote name='Parrot Mom']The excuse of "lost luggage" reminds me of a well known seafood restaurant in Boston that requires jackets.. and they outfitted my then teenage son with a sports coat.. lol. Maybe the cruise lines should have one at the door. There is no reason why a man cannot bring ONE sports jacket[/QUOTE]

Not heavy or so bulky it takes up much room in the luggage..

Good suggestion re: provide a jacket...have often wondered that myself.

Unfortunately, today the cruiseline might need a bigger ship to carry enough jackets... :)

Have happy cruisin'!

[quote name='rcacace'][COLOR="Black"]As I said many times previously, they can request jacket, but they do not enforce the issue. You know as well as I, that this has been documented by many others beside myself & like it or not, this is the stance that the Maitre D's take in order to not antagonize the general passengers. They are put in a situation of enforcing the issue for people such as yourself or looking the other way & I'm sure they're not enjoying the job as they have many other duties besides that of fashion police. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Shame isn't it that they even have to consider being or put in the postion to be the fashion police, IMO anyway!

Have happy cruisin'!

[COLOR=navy]... geez. I hope you guys are never on a ship together and get in a war of the words... they will have to clear the tables in the atrium..:eek:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy][/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]so the bar as they say is officially "closed" here... feel free to fight via email:rolleyes:[/COLOR]

Archived