Dining and Dress on Pacific Princess

Hawaiian Mongoose

I traveled on the Royal Princess in December (sister ship to the Pacific), and the Maitre d' did turn folks away at the door if they were not dressed appropriately on formal night. One of the members of our group usually wore dockers/khakis and a polo shirt or Hawaiian themed shirt on casual nights and he was never turned away.

Have a fabulous cruise! :D The smaller ships are amazing!

VB1

Then why does Racace tell folks that it is not necessary to dress formally?? Who can answer this?

Ron

As a cruiser for well over 20 years...if there is one subject that lights up ALL the cruise boards with "them against us"... is the issue of tuxedo versus dark suit/sport jacket. There are people on the boards who believe unless you bring a tuxedo or rent one on the ship you should be flogged! I AM NOT JOKING..There are some who believe y ou should be denied access to the main dining room if you are not formally dressed in a tux (the men). With the current weight limits by the airlines and the lack of washing machines on most cruise ships it becomes more and more difficult when cruising for more than a week to bring appropriate clothes UNLESS and I repeat UNLESS you are able to drive directly to a port and weight does not matter. On our last t/a cruise Parrot Pop was commented on his what we can now call retro colorful ties and colored shirts with either a black or linen colord jacket. When we cruise NCL ( first time under Freestyle) Parrot Pop will still bring his jackets. We are still old-fashioned type cruisers who appreciate the elegance that WAS cruising and I personally just love to see a man in a tux, it brings back memories of Fred Astaire, Clark Gable and a time past.One only has to look at people flying or at theatre to see those days seem long gone when people had pride. It would be delightful to see dining rooms full of Hawaiian dresses and shirts..how very special. If I can buy a shift or outfit at a Bagshaws in St. Lucia.. you can bet I'll be wearing it on the ship and if I had reservations about bringing a special older designer caftan from Mexico ...I think now i'll have the opportunity to flaunt it..lol

To RCACACACA - I could not edit my earlier post - I just wanted you to know that I do not want to make this thread a personal war with you - just give me some informative positive proof that casual dress is allowed on formal night on all Princess ships, all itineraries, 365/24/7 and I will back off.

Ron

As you say there's no need for a personal war about the so called dress code. Yes, I agree that most people will be formally dressed and if anyone wishes to conform either by request or by the fact that they simply enjoy dressing, then by all means do so.

The OP wanted to know how strict they were on formal evenings & I answered his question armed with my knowledge of past cruises of the last 20 years on Princess on many different ships. I realize that you don't wish to believe anyone who indicated that full formal attire isn't required but it is a fact that most Maitre D' won't enforce the dress code to your specifications. As you well know this had also been confirmed by quite a few other cruisers besides myself.

That being said, they most likely will turn away people dressed in jeans & T shirts on formal evenings (and ball caps - which seem to be one of your favorite items to criticize) but any person who doesn't wear a jacket & tie will still be admitted barring they haven worn the shirt to work out in and attempt to look somewhat neat.

Your idea of what is acceptable is fine for you, but like it or not, don't expect the world to conform to your expectations.

From the 2009 Princess "Cruise Answer Book":

...We ask that you observe a few guidelines.

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests

I have seen people in "smart casual" clothing on formal night on a Princess crusie before. As for the tux vs suit/sport coat, I have only brought suits and sport coat/slacks for formal night. The last time I wore a tux was for my Senior Prom and that was 20+ years ago!

During X-mas holidays '08, we were on a 10-day Carribean/Panama cruise on RCI and the maitre'd told us it was ok to dress casual since it was a Carribean cruise.

Whoopee,

Another BS session on the subject of dress!

OK we've beaten this subject to death and insulted everyone to no end, so children...now's the time to end the silliness before our Host ends it for us.

To go back to the beginning, take from the posts on the thread what you will and make a decision that is clear in your mind. Societal norms will probably prevail, so...

Relax, enjoy your cruise and "Escape Completely" with Princess.

Ciao for now!!!

While it's true that most people do dress on formal nights, on most Princess ships you can still dine on formal nights in the DR without a jacket & tie. Occasionally you'll hear of people being rejected but it's a rare occurrence if you don't look like a total slob.

Since the OP wanted to know about the Pacific Princess specifically, I believe that has already been answered very well. It attracts older pax and they tend to dress more formally..which has also been my experience..

I am more of a traditionalist myself which is why I prefer the smaller, more formal ships. I agree with all who posted regarding the larger Princess ships being more casual.

Have happy cruisin'! :)

We are going to be on the Pacific Princess in September 2009 to Hawai'i, and have a couple of questions. First, what are the casual or alternative dining options on board? Second, how rigidly are the formal night dress codes enforced? I ask because the casual destination (Hawai'i) and the return trip (some extra fees added US airline) restrict us on what we would pack for the formal nights. Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance. Patric :)

Just curious if you have decided what to bring to wear. Will you bring a jacket, just go casual, or go casual and claim the suit is in the lost luggage if questioned?

I just wear a long sleeve shirt my self, but have decided to adopt the lost luggage position if ever questioned. I have never been questioned or turned away on a Princess ship though and I am beginning to be leave this is a myth people are repeating to worry people into bringing a jacket when it is simply not necessary.

Thanks to all that have helped me with my question. I am new to CC and have only cruised one other time. My question was never about formal night. Formal night is very clear to me and we enjoy "dressing up" as it is not something we get to do often. My question was about casual night and the fact that capris are very popular with women my age but weren't in fashion the last time I cruised. I'm still on the fence but don't want to go out and buy some long pants just for a casual dinner that I won't wear again.....I will wear casual dresses a few nights, and probably wear capris with smart accessories on casual. And dress up formally on formal nite.

I won't be asking about dress code again, sorry if my question caused anyone to be upset.....but have plenty of other questions - like good excursions you can do on your own in So. Carribean.

Happy sailing! I need to get my count down clock working and wait patiently for my cabin assignment.:rolleyes:

Hi

I have been reading these boards for a long time but this is my first post.We are veteran cruisers and always do traditional dining and dress for dinner.I have seen jeans and tee shirts on casual nights and have seen a sport shirt and dockers on formal nights many times. On my last cruise on the CB in February I even saw a woman with short shorts although it was the last night which tends to be more casual(and she did have nice legs).That being said none of these people bothered us.We did have a group of 20+ people sitting in our section however who were loud and disruptive every night.At times we could not even carry on a conversation because they were so loud.These people were all dressed properly with tuxes and dresses on formal nights and at one point they found it necessary to do an informal conga line bunny hop thing around our section.This was when they were not being rude and snapping their fingers at the waiters for service.This was by far the worst behavior we have ever seen in the dining room.I guess my point is that behavior is more important than dress.I would gladly dine with Mr tee shirt and Ms short shorts and even young Mr saggy pants anytime as long as they act appropriately.

Tricky

welcome dreamer and tricky

I see you are both relatively new to posting on these boards..

the Pacific Princess is such a unique ship and cruising experience..

besides its sister ships, it;s completely different than the rest of fleet...

hopefully you will have a chance to sail on her..

it;s like stepping back to the days of traditional cruising and has the feel of a country club setting.

Bon Voyage

As you say there's no need for a personal war about the so called dress code. Yes, I agree that most people will be formally dressed and if anyone wishes to conform either by request or by the fact that they simply enjoy dressing, then by all means do so.

The OP wanted to know how strict they were on formal evenings & I answered his question armed with my knowledge of past cruises of the last 20 years on Princess on many different ships. I realize that you don't wish to believe anyone who indicated that full formal attire isn't required but it is a fact that most Maitre D' won't enforce the dress code to your specifications. As you well know this had also been confirmed by quite a few other cruisers besides myself.

That being said, they most likely will turn away people dressed in jeans & T shirts on formal evenings (and ball caps - which seem to be one of your favorite items to criticize) but any person who doesn't wear a jacket & tie will still be admitted barring they haven worn the shirt to work out in and attempt to look somewhat neat.

Your idea of what is acceptable is fine for you, but like it or not, don't expect the world to conform to your expectations.

U are correct, not so much enforcment on the larger Princess ships.....

On the smaller ships, Pacific, Tahitian & Royal Princess however, the atmosphere is more formal and as has been stated, they usually don't have to enforce the dress codes in the DR because...most pax are older and dress more formally anyway!!

IMO, u are incorrect regarding not requiring a jacket and tie on formal nites on the Pacific Princess (which is the ship the OP mentioned) - They likely will enforce it...!

I have travelled onboard those ships myself for that reason among others and have seen them turn folks away...

Besides, what problem is there for men to take a jacket, shirt, tie & slacks and wash out or have the shirt washed or dry cleaned onboard and wear the same outfit each formal nite...?? Ladies can take a skirt/slacks & one or more different light weight dressy tops..& use the same shoes & purse.

They could also consider renting formal wear even...

Doesn't take up much space or weight in our luggage..

Wear Hawaiian if u can FFMongoose - it is colorful, puts u into the Hawaiian 'mood' and is lots of fun :)

We are on the same cruise and definately will dress up on formal nites and on casual nites as well in Hawaiian clothes...Can hardly wait!!

Eat your hearts out folks ...:D Just kidding, I wish u cld all come and enjoy all the 'at sea' days & the marvelous islands...!!

Have happy cruisin'!

Thanks to all that have helped me with my question. I am new to CC and have only cruised one other time. My question was never about formal night. Formal night is very clear to me and we enjoy "dressing up" as it is not something we get to do often. My question was about casual night and the fact that capris are very popular with women my age but weren't in fashion the last time I cruised. I'm still on the fence but don't want to go out and buy some long pants just for a casual dinner that I won't wear again.....I will wear casual dresses a few nights, and probably wear capris with smart accessories on casual. And dress up formally on formal nite.

I won't be asking about dress code again, sorry if my question caused anyone to be upset.....but have plenty of other questions - like good excursions you can do on your own in So. Carribean.

Happy sailing! I need to get my count down clock working and wait patiently for my cabin assignment.:rolleyes:

If I was your age I wld be in 'em in a flash :D

Unfortunately if I wore them, I wld be asked to leave the DR because if I wore capris, I wld be considered an 'distraction'..

Folks wld be falling out of their seats laughing so hard they wld never get their meals eaten :D

Sound attractive to me for casual evenings and comfortable also..

Have a great cruise - fun & addictive (in a good way for a change) isn't it??? :)

[quote name='rcacace'][COLOR=black]As you say there's no need for a personal war about the so called dress code. Yes, I agree that most people will be formally dressed and if anyone wishes to conform either by request or by the fact that they simply enjoy dressing, then by all means do so. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]The OP wanted to know how strict they were on formal evenings & I answered his question armed with my knowledge of past cruises of the last 20 years on Princess on many different ships. I realize that you don't wish to believe anyone who indicated that full formal attire isn't required but it is a fact that most Maitre D' won't enforce the dress code to your specifications. As you well know this had also been confirmed by quite a few other cruisers besides myself. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]That being said, they most likely will turn away people dressed in jeans & T shirts on formal evenings (and ball caps - which seem to be one of your favorite items to criticize) but any person who doesn't wear a jacket & tie will still be admitted barring they haven worn the shirt to work out in and attempt to look somewhat neat. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Your idea of what is acceptable is fine for you, but like it or not, don't expect the world to conform to your expectations. [/COLOR][/quote]

Your posts would be more viable if you would define exactly [SIZE=4][COLOR=red]which[/COLOR][/SIZE] ships
as opposed to [SIZE=4][COLOR=red]most[/COLOR][/SIZE] ships in your posts. Reaading your posts it would seem that you are attempting to promote more casual dress

Just a suggestion.

Ron

[quote name='coiran']Your posts would be more viable if you would define exactly [SIZE=4][COLOR=red]which[/COLOR][/SIZE] ships
as opposed to [SIZE=4][COLOR=red]most[/COLOR][/SIZE] ships in your posts. Reaading your posts it would seem that you are attempting to promote more casual dress

Just a suggestion.

Ron[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to force anyone to either dress formally or not but just informing them of the options that are available and that applies to all the Princess ships both big & small. This is my observation over many years of cruising with Princess on all size ships. Of course you take a chance of not being admitted if you don't attempt to dress somewhat neatly, but that chance is significantly small & worth taking considering not having to go all out & be uncomfortable in the process. (Which was the OP's original question to begin with)

[quote name='rcacace']I'm not trying to force anyone to either dress formally or not but just informing them of the options that are available and that applies to all the Princess ships both big & small. This is my observation over many years of cruising with Princess on all size ships. Of course you take a chance of not being admitted if you don't attempt to dress somewhat neatly, but that chance is significantly small & worth taking considering not having to go all out & be uncomfortable in the process. (Which was the OP's original question to begin with)[/quote]

Princess has 18 ships in their fleet - please be more specific on which of these you have observed and not dressed formally on and have been allowed in. It would give the readers better odds on the chance they may be taking. Especially since many posters said they have seen people turned away.

Ron

[quote name='cruisecrasy']U are correct, not so much enforcment on the larger Princess ships.....

On the smaller ships, Pacific, Tahitian & Royal Princess however, the atmosphere is more formal and as has been stated, they usually don't have to enforce the dress codes in the DR because...most pax are older and dress more formally anyway!!
IMO, u are incorrect regarding not requiring a jacket and tie on formal nites on the Pacific Princess (which is the ship the OP mentioned) - They likely will enforce it...!
I have travelled onboard those ships myself for that reason among others and have seen them turn folks away...

Besides, what problem is there for men to take a jacket, shirt, tie & slacks and wash out or have the shirt washed or dry cleaned onboard and wear the same outfit each formal nite...?? Ladies can take a skirt/slacks & one or more different light weight dressy tops..& use the same shoes & purse.
They could also consider renting formal wear even...

Doesn't take up much space or weight in our luggage..

Wear Hawaiian if u can FFMongoose - it is colorful, puts u into the Hawaiian 'mood' and is lots of fun :)
We are on the same cruise and definately will dress up on formal nites and on casual nites as well in Hawaiian clothes...Can hardly wait!!

Eat your hearts out folks ...:D Just kidding, I wish u cld all come and enjoy all the 'at sea' days & the marvelous islands...!!

Have happy cruisin'![/quote]

You are correct that the passengers are older and dress more formally in general.

You are incorrect that you are likely to be turned away with out a Jacket.

Some people just like casual cruising. ;)

Princess recognizes these changing trends and welcomes casual cruisers as well as the old school formal types. It is just the way it is.

If a casual cruiser runs into the mythical old school maitre d' that turns them away when neatly dressed with out a jacket, then telling him the suit is in the lost luggage are the keys to the golden city (and the MDR as well :D )

I have eaten in the MDR with a very pleasant family in shorts and T shirts on FORMAL night because all of the families luggage was lost by the airline. This family had a wonderful vacation and was not denied being seated in the MDR on formal night even though they did not even meet the standards Princess has for casual night.

Princess will not let your vacation be ruined due to lost luggage :D

MDH and I sailed on the Island Princess and he wore a black silk vest with tie on the formal nights. No one every complained or said anything to him. He looked better than those who wore dress shirts and slacks (without a jacket).

[quote name='Cruisin Bob']You are correct that the passengers are older and dress more formally in general.

[COLOR=red]You are incorrect that you are likely to be turned away with out a Jacket.[/COLOR]

Some people just like casual cruising. ;)

Princess recognizes these changing trends and welcomes casual cruisers as well as the old school formal types. It is just the way it is.

If a casual cruiser runs into the mythical old school maitre d' that turns them away when neatly dressed with out a jacket, then telling him the suit is in the lost luggage are the keys to the golden city (and the MDR as well :D )

I have eaten in the MDR with a very pleasant family in shorts and T shirts on FORMAL night because all of the families luggage was lost by the airline. This family had a wonderful vacation and was not denied being seated in the MDR on formal night even though they did not even meet the standards Princess has for casual night.

Princess will not let your vacation be ruined due to lost luggage :D[/quote]

If this is incorrect then why have certain posters stated they have seen people turned away on certain of the Princess ships. Were they lying?

Ron

The one thing I have learned about others posting their experiences on message boards is that you don't know (and they usually don't tell) exactly when they saw/were told/ experienced this.

Was it last week? Last year? Three years ago? The timing makes a huge difference as what is accepted now, was not accepted before.

I love it when some post they received a great upgrade from Princess, without mentioning the date. Then when asked, they reveal it was the week after 9/11 or back in 1999. But by not mentioning the date, they get those cruising next week in an uproar wanting to know why they didn't get an upgrade like that during spring break?

So, those that have posted they saw someone turned away, unless they were standing there listening to the conversation, have absolutely no idea why those passengers left. There could have been other circumstances involved here.
And I have also learned that many reports here on the cruise message boards are so vague at times, I keep them in mind, but do not read them as gospel! Just my opinion of coarse!

I can tell you 'from experience' that we have watched as many men with just a long sleeved dress shirt and dress pants have entered the diningrooms, on both large and the smaller classes of ships within the last two years, on formal nights. They have not been turned away and have not even questioned. So, since I have seen it with my own eyes, and I can believe ME, I side with those saying that the cruise line requests formal attire, but it isn't actually necessary. The one thing we have overheard passengers being told on formal night is that short sleeved shirts were not permitted, they had to return to their stateroom and put on a long sleeved shirt to enter the diningroom on formal night. ;)

The excuse of "lost luggage" reminds me of a well known seafood restaurant in Boston that requires jackets.. and they outfitted my then teenage son with a sports coat.. lol. Maybe the cruise lines should have one at the door. There is no reason why a man cannot bring ONE sports jacket

Archived