Freedom delay: Searching for overboard monkey!!

DGP1111

Your one of the reasons i dont frequent this board to much. your majorally rude and thank god your not with our group.

For all the rumors listed in a reply are false, the Yes give them credit for acting on it when they realized it was Julius. they made the called ASAP. i read more negative on this board then the people on the cruise. We made our destination on time thanks to the captain of the vessel.

Yes it goes into the Ship happens category because something is always bound to happen on a cruise this just happened to be ours we all lived thru it and are now finding the humor in it. As one person already stated, with trying times today we all need a goodlaugh once in awhile.

yep im a rcl SNOB too and the monkey is a diamond member so whats that say maybe he just couldn't take carnival anymore if I was thinking like you are.

Who needs to lighten up now? It was a joke. I have NEVER said anything bad about RCCL, but I have read their board, and know there's a lot of haters there. I'm sorry, but something like this is not bound to happen. Never happenned on any of my cruises. Causing this fracas, and then deflecting blame on others is unconscionable..

So defensive- friends will jump to respond at the drop of a comment. It was irresponsible. Winds were high- take the monkey in!!!!! We were sailing for a good 30 minutes. If you want a toy to parade around the ship then fine, do just that. I'm all for having a good time, but my good time does not impact yours. This time her toy crossed the line- I'm surprised in the 30 or so cruises it has gone on in the past it has not flown overboard already.

A ship turning around for 3 hours, a helicopter being deployed, an ENTIRE ship of passengers and crew being counted is not minor. That was a MAJOR incident. Ship happens is minor and often out of your control- you apparently are on her side, it is obvious you have your loyalities directed toward your friend. As for the rumors, I stated they were rumors. The monkey was the talk of the ship- even by the CD and last comedian.

I can bet 10 to 1 she has already ordered a new monkey for her next cruise.

I hope she did order a new one. If not if she will send me her address I will order one for her and have it sent. It was a total accident and YES I was on the cruise. I am certainly glad that some of you donkeys who posted your rudeness where not.

Glass houses & stones - you don't know what really happened and you don't know the people involved. I really hope you never use bad judgement and have an accident. Major or minor. Someone here at our friendly CC boards will happily lob stones in your direction, for a very long time.

Bad judgement and accidents go hand-in-hand. Have I ever done something and in hindsight felt it was in bad judgement- yes (and that was usually because of the follow up consequence!!!!!!) That is why it is called BAD judgement. There is some quote about hindsight being 20/20, I think this may apply.

And don't fan the flames with CC members. I've been on the boards for almost 3 years and I don't get involved in petty arguments, but this did involve me and my group so I feel I have a right to speak my mind.

For that matter- read the entire post- I did not say she was a bad person, that she was not just having a good time. I stated her actions were irresponsible and they resulted in the ship being delayed for 3 hours.

Dragged in again......

Yes I will defend anyone not just a friend when I find that the attack is not necessary. Maritime law prevented us leaving an earlier then expected as they need to go thru the process, if they would have taken our word off the bat it was the monkey im thinking we could have started to leave earlier. Its procedure, would you have been upset this much if it was a real person and took 3 hours.

When we left Grand Caymen and on our balcony for a few seconds all was well we then went in to get ready for early dinner this is when the wind seemed to have picked up and over he went.and yes as stated he was tied down Like stated before sea conditions where high this day and excursions were cancelled. If we realized the winds, Julius would have been inside

Glass houses & stones - you don't know what really happened and you don't know the people involved. I really hope you never use bad judgement and have an accident. Major or minor. Someone here at our friendly CC boards will happily lob stones in your direction, for a very long time.

I've used a lot of bad judgement in my life but two things are certain. 1) Even I know that leaving a giant inflatable object on a balcony of a moving cruise ship is a bad idea, and 2) When I have used bad judgement, I have NEVER blamed the results on anyone but myself. That's called responsibility.

Dragged in again......

Yes I will defend anyone not just a friend when I find that the attack is not necessary. Maritime law prevented us leaving an earlier then expected as they need to go thru the process, if they would have taken our word off the bat it was the monkey im thinking we could have started to leave earlier. Its procedure, would you have been upset this much if it was a real person and took 3 hours.

When we left Grand Caymen and on our balcony for a few seconds all was well we then went in to get ready for early dinner this is when the wind seemed to have picked up and over he went.and yes as stated he was tied down Like stated before sea conditions where high this day and excursions were cancelled. If we realized the winds, Julius would have been inside

Was it your monkey, or not? Cuz someone here said it wasn't.. And someone else on the RCCL board has taken responsibility.. (scratching head)

Dragged in again......

If the monkey was meant to be an object to identify your balcony or to provide humor for fellow guests while in port then why was it not brought in upon departure from GC- nobody can see it while you are sailing except for yourselves. The winds were high that day- our tour to the rays was not cancelled but Carnival cancelled all of their tours, so that tells you something about the weather. I'm not sure if you were waiting for an official weather report of wind speed but I think one step on the balcony should have been enough evidence to know that the monkey needed to be inside.

Last year a drunk fell overboard causing a late arrival at the next days port. The threads on CC crucified this man with calls for him to be banned from all cruiselines and calls for him to have to pay all cost associated with the search. Many posters also called for remuneration for their lost time in port. I think had this incident caused a late arrival in Jamaica the group involved might have wanted to depart in Jamaica on their own accord. I sympathize greatly with the group whose wedding vow renewal plans and dinner were messed up. I agree it was an unintentional "ship happens" event, but I don't think I'd continue posting trying to justify it or minimize it.

Last year a drunk fell overboard causing a late arrival at the next days port. The threads on CC crucified this man with calls for him to be banned from all cruiselines and calls for him to have to pay all cost associated with the search. Many posters also called for remuneration for their lost time in port. I think had this incident caused a late arrival in Jamaica the group involved might have wanted to depart in Jamaica on their own accord. I sympathize greatly with the group whose wedding vow renewal plans and dinner were messed up. I agree it was an unintentional "ship happens" event, but I don't think I'd continue posting trying to justify it or minimize it.

Yea, it's like climbing a greased pole. It just angers me that the owners, and others here, are blaming people who had nothing to do with this.. Like I said in my first post, I'm losing my faith in humanity. I actually began losing it when GW was re-elected for a 2nd term, but we won't go there..

Yea, it's like climbing a greased pole. It just angers me that the owners, and others here, are blaming people who had nothing to do with this.. Like I said in my first post, I'm losing my faith in humanity. I actually began losing it when GW was re-elected for a 2nd term, but we won't go there..

actually I think most on here are just saying mellow out an accident happened and luckily everyone is safe as it was just a blow up monkey..... some of you guys are just making way too much out of it while the others are moving on other than being in disbelief that some of you are so uptight and treating this as a major tramatic event that you went through.

but you're not angry at the MOE-RONS (intentionally misspelled for emphasis) who left a giant inflatable monkey unsecured on a balcony?

Julius, a very experienced cruiser, was taped to the balcony just as he was in so many other cruises he was on. It is unknown how he came loose. It was an accident so there is no need to lower yourself with the name calling.

What makes everybody think that the captain "didn't know" that it was an inflatable monkey when he decided to turn around? If Julius was a seasoned traveler and as famous as it seems, I can totally see one of the officers knocking on the Captain's door:

Officer: "Captain, we just received notification that Julius fell off the ship"

Captain: "WHAT??!! Turn this ship around immediately! He's almost Platinum! But what are we going to tell Headquarters back in Miami?? That we turned the ship around for an inflatable monkey?? AHA! We'll just tell them that we needed to conduct a search and rescue since we "didn't know" if this was a real person, JULIUS, hang in there! We're coming to get you!"

The Staff Captain did, in fact, know which cabin door to knock on.

So what was the people from Room 1450 doing that was so important they couldn't go punch their S&S cards?

And for so long!!!:eek: It was ridiculous. I was in the past guest party and Todd told us to wait until the end to punch our cards. We weren't the hold up. My sister actually ran out with all our cards and was back within minutes.

Our Dining companion was called in the first group of missing people but he had tried to go 3 other times and the lines were too long and he didn't realize that they went fast. He went before he was called and had just sat down when his name was called!

Rumors passed on through room stewards to one of my friends were that the owners had been informed to keep the monkey in the room after it was removed from the balcony by their room steward on more than one occasion.

Also it is rumored that the owner is now banned from Carnival and was put off the ship in Jamacia.

False and False.

We were talking to staff and apparently people were trying to come down with cards for everyone but that was not how they wanted it done - staff had to actually see the person who's card was being "doinked" it defeats the entire purpose if one person takes two or 5 cards with them as one of those cards could be from an overboard passenger and it would not be known. It is sort of pointless say, for instance someone threw someone else overboard (completely hypothetical) and then went down with that person's card and said "oh they are in the shower or whatever" then it would not be known right away that the person was in fact missing. I do not know if they actually let some people get away with this or not. The guy in front of us had 5 cards and the crew would not let him "doink" them all and a woman behind us had her husbands and she was told to go get him. Don't know about anyone else's experience but that was ours.

I did not mind the whole process as it was necessary and it was an experience I will (hopefully) never have again. The thought of someone actually going overboard is horrible but when it was announced that it was likely the monkey then it was a relief and we got on with enjoying our cruise. It was an accident and it may have been a computer problem that caused the card "doinking" to take so long (they had problems with software all cruise long). I can't say for sure that the people did not go down on purpose or whatever because I don't know them so I will not speculate. I do know the captain did seem a tad frustrated towards the end there. We just went with the flow.

The Staff Captain did, in fact, know which cabin door to knock on.

Also a fact was that Julius was CLEARLY visible from the bridge. Obviously Carnival had no concern for Julius safety. Hopefully Carnival compensates the owner for anguish, pain, and suffering resulting from Carnival's negligence!

I might also check the cruise insurance - not sure there is a requirement that the insured is human???

Also a fact was that Julius was CLEARLY visible from the bridge. Obviously Carnival had no concern for Julius safety. Hopefully Carnival compensates the owner for anguish, pain, and suffering resulting from Carnival's negligence!

I might also check the cruise insurance - not sure there is a requirement that the insured is human???

If Carnival had direct (seeing it from the bridge) or indirect (via a stewart or passenger) knowledge of the toy then they should have acted. Blame lies with the owner and partial fault with Carnival for not preventing the obvious. The fact that this toy made it on so many cruises without 1- going overboard or 2- being taken away is amazing.

As to the insurability of the toy- if you were to read some of the posts you would actually think the thing was human! I would not be surprised if it was insured.

And yes, Carnival did indeed require the person to be present for the check-in. That was not the original statement, which was that one person could bring multipe cards. I think that resulted in some back and forth for many passengers, myself included. My daughter was already checked into kids club for dinner when I went with all of the sail cards and then was told that they would not accept them. So, back to the KC dinner, pick her up, check her in, take her back to KC and then onto my husband's planned Supper Club party. Had this been for a real person, a very-very minor bump in plans, but to find out it was for a toy :confused:.

I witnessed the tragic fall of Julius to his watery grave. He wafted right by me as I was standing on my balcony. He had been anchored to the chair, but it was very windy that day. There was no way of knowing that his binds would not hold.

I was also in the past guest party when Todd told us to just sit tight and ride out the initial wave of people who went to doink their cards. We didn't complain...it just meant more drinks!:D

Indy overheard a man telling his wife that he "wasn't going to go check in right then and there, and if they (CCL) wanted him bad enough, they would have to come get him to do it." I'm sure there were some issues with the card readers, but I'm also willing to bet that botards like this guy was also part of the problem.

The captain was surpremely pi$$ed due to the passenger delay. We thought he was going to go all Tony Soprano!:eek: A small blip in a the cruise otherwise, but made for a memorable story.

On a side note, I'm grateful I forgot to pack the inflatable sheep.;)

To be clear, Everyone could hear the captain asking people to go and apologzing for the inconvenience. Why did some people feel that it was o.k for their names to have to be called again and again for well over an hour. Why did the captain have to reach the point of actually naming people and their cabin numbers in a desperate attempt to get them to comply? I would have definately been mad if I was the Captain.:mad:

I am sorry for the person whose special occasion was spoiled by this event and the insensitivity of the person who responded that "ship happens" and to get over it, or words to that effect. I hope that Carnival was able to do something to make this special occasion work out for you.

Yes, this incident was unforseen and not intentional but the fact remains that it did cause a lot of problems.

The bottom line though is that the whole incident could have been dealt with much quicker if everyone had cooperated with the Captains request instead of us all having to sit for almost 2 hrs listening to their names being called over and over.

I heard that one of the last people to report in that afternoon boasted in the Disco that night that he was passed out drunk on his bed after a day of drinking in Grand Cayman and that's why he didn't hear it. Apparently he is a high school teacher from New York.

Don't know if this is true or not, wouldn't the room steward have checked his room? :confused:

If the monkey was meant to be an object to identify your balcony or to provide humor for fellow guests while in port then why was it not brought in upon departure from GC- nobody can see it while you are sailing except for yourselves. The winds were high that day- our tour to the rays was not cancelled but Carnival cancelled all of their tours, so that tells you something about the weather. I'm not sure if you were waiting for an official weather report of wind speed but I think one step on the balcony should have been enough evidence to know that the monkey needed to be inside.

The monkey was on the balcony from day one, it was taken down a couple times as the kids were having a time playing jokes with him.

The government in GC regulates who goes out and who doesn't to SR City and the goverment cancelled the tours,all tours supposely that day which is why Carnival cancelled theres. However, the independent companies continued to take passengers out even thou winds were bad,so im assuming you got one of those. I however with my company was not taking the chance of injury so I tendered over there and discussed the matter with them and advised I was not taking the chance. If you had a good time Im glad for you. They did advise me they were allowed to go until 11am. OK now how does that make sense to me they wanted there bucs no matter what. As I stated before the winds were not there on the balcony at the time so no need to think to bring him in it picked up while getting ready for dinner, while inside no way to tell it was that windy. I dont think im thinking about wind when im doing my hair and im inside...

I also dont believe anyone blamed anyone only stated that we were delayed due to folks not dinging there cards and folks having to do it several times because the Freedoms computer system was on the fritz, I changed this card 3 times during this sailing but by George my charges were correct, go figure....

Also, Kujo-- rather if it was a joke or not there are equal amts of hatred on each side not just one. No this was not my monkey however i have sailed with him and the owner is a very good friend... so yes I feel the need to defend

Final post. old news now

Julius, a very experienced cruiser, was taped to the balcony just as he was in so many other cruises he was on. It is unknown how he came loose. It was an accident so there is no need to lower yourself with the name calling.

Oh, yea? Did you tape him there yourself? Cuz your like the 4th or 5th person who claims to know how well Julius was secured to the balcony. It's interesting to note how so many people can vouch that he was so well secured yet he still managed to fall, or be thrown, overboard. This is my final post, unless worktocruise posts again, then my next post will be my final post. Or something like that..

Archived