Freedom delay: Searching for overboard monkey!!

DGP1111

We were on this cruise as well and the winds were pretty crazy that afternoon (on the upper decks at least). Someone lost their lunch tray and showered my husband with french fries and I saw at least 3 plastic cups go sailing off, so I wasn't surprised that an inflatable would get picked up in the wind too and fly off.

As far as the people who didn't check in like they should have: the first announcements were vague and asked for you to confirm that everyone in your party was accounted for and then check in. So a lot of people took that to mean that they could send one person to check in for everyone. It was about 30 minutes later that they began to clarify that each passenger needed to check in, which was a lot of the delay. Also, the early diners were seated, so I'm sure a lot of them assumed that they would be checked in by just showing up and you could see a lot of grouchy people leaving the dining rooms when they found out this wasn't the case. When it came down to the last handful of names and they started calling each one and giving room numbers (to embarrass people, I guess), the room stewards started checking. The steward checked the room across from ours and the family was in there and was loudly complaining that one of them checked in, so they thought it would validate everyone in their cabin -- obviously not, and they'd been named by intercom for quite a while. On our way to dinner, we heard a few people at the Purser's desk complaining because they did check in, but somehow they didn't get counted. I understand that it was a hassle, but this was a potential life-and-death emergency and couldn't understand why they didn't just go again and get it over with.

I heard through gossip over the next few days that the monkey was retrieved - is that not true? And also that 'everyone' knew who it belonged to, because it had been on the balcony the whole trip. There were quite a few grumblers who knew the monkey from previous trips and were unhappy about it. We were pretty blase about it (though grateful it wasn't a person overboard), but there were some angry people - I was surprised. I'm wondering if the owners got any nastygrams from fellow passengers?

It was quite windy. Lots of things including hats were blown over creating far greater bio-hazards. The ship canceled the sting ray and other water tours.

The monkey was not retrieved. Those who knew the monkey loved the monkey.

The most harassment to the owner has come from this board. Those who were on board know that the cabin numbers of the stragglers were called - not the owner of the monkey. The stragglers are the ones that deserved, and I hope received, nastygrams.

I gotta admit, I for one was looking forward to my cruise with the monkey in the future. RIP!

Also Julius & Owner, thanks for making me laugh so hard after these past few months with the constant news reports of how bad things are. I really needed that!

As far as the vows etc....That sucks....but as we all know when we board a cruise ship we are not guaranteed the ports scheduled (read cruise contract) we as passengers can wind up anywhere at the cruise lines disgression. I personally wouldnt have an affair set up unless it was the port of debarkation OR on the ship itself. That is the only way to guarantee it goes off without problems.

Last....lets keep it real people.....no need to bash one's preference of one cruise line over another. I prefer RCL....but have sailed, enjoyed, and will cruise CCL again.

Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas!

Archived