Freedom delay: Searching for overboard monkey!!

DGP1111

I'm just sorry they lost their beloved Mascot. Agree with ship happens. The past guest party for second seating was going on....still punched our cards.....Oh....the drama!

Some peolple may have had more important things going on than the past guest party. Some people may have already worked 14 hours that day and were trying to get some sleep but instead had to go knock on doors looking for those horrible stragglers who caused all this, right? Oh.. The drama! This is my final post. I mean it this time..

I was the one who personally taped the monkey to the balcony. I'm not the owner but was in the adjoining cabin to the owner. We had been out on the balcony after leaving Grand Cayman. I noticed it was windy so I reinforced the money with two big pieces of packing tape. As it's been said before, he's been on many cruises with us and we've never had a problem but I wanted to make sure he wouldn't blow away. We all went in to get ready for dinner when we felt the ship list. Someone in the cabin next to mine came in and said that someone was overboard and they were all on the bridge with binoculars. Of course we all went out on the balcony to see what was up. It never occured to us that it was the monkey. When we got out on the balcony we realized the monkey was gone. I immediately went inside and called to let them know. They thanked me and we went to dinner as usual. I can't begin to tell you how upset the owner was. She didn't take this lightly as some are implying. She got up in the middle of dinner and stayed in her cabin the rest of the night.

I was called down to security on the last day to make a formal statement. They were very nice to me and said that it was just a required procedure that they must go through. Nothing they said or did led me to believe that they were upset. The owner also made a signed statement. I apologized to my room steward that night and he told me not to worry about it. They knew the monkey was out there and that they had been to our balcony to take pictures with him earlier in the cruise. He said it was a good practice for them. The CD even made mention of him in his afternoon show saying, "In memory of Julius" or something like that.

I'm not making light of the situation and we didn't look at it any other way than a very serious matter. I'm sorry for those who had plans that were interrupted. We thought we had taken enough precautions to make sure that it didn't happen.

And no, she hasn't ordered another monkey and has no plans to do so.

I was the one who personally taped the monkey to the balcony. I'm not the owner but was in the adjoining cabin to the owner. We had been out on the balcony after leaving Grand Cayman. I noticed it was windy so I reinforced the money with two big pieces of packing tape. As it's been said before, he's been on many cruises with us and we've never had a problem but I wanted to make sure he wouldn't blow away. We all went in to get ready for dinner when we felt the ship list. Someone in the cabin next to mine came in and said that someone was overboard and they were all on the bridge with binoculars. Of course we all went out on the balcony to see what was up. It never occured to us that it was the monkey. When we got out on the balcony we realized the monkey was gone. I immediately went inside and called to let them know. They thanked me and we went to dinner as usual. I can't begin to tell you how upset the owner was. She didn't take this lightly as some are implying. She got up in the middle of dinner and stayed in her cabin the rest of the night.

I was called down to security on the last day to make a formal statement. They were very nice to me and said that it was just a required procedure that they must go through. Nothing they said or did led me to believe that they were upset. The owner also made a signed statement. I apologized to my room steward that night and he told me not to worry about it. They knew the monkey was out there and that they had been to our balcony to take pictures with him earlier in the cruise. He said it was a good practice for them. The CD even made mention of him in his afternoon show saying, "In memory of Julius" or something like that.

I'm not making light of the situation and we didn't look at it any other way than a very serious matter. I'm sorry for those who had plans that were interrupted. We thought we had taken enough precautions to make sure that it didn't happen.

99.9% of all of us on the cruise have no hard feelings towards you or the monkeys owner. It is actually kind of funny and a great story at this point. I think the others who have been rude on here are truly the ones who owe you guys the apology.

This is the most sincere post yet. Thank you.

Who are you referring to? Just curious.. I haven't noticed anyone being rude on this thread. Honest, but not rude.

hmm.... if the shoe fits......... go back and read what all you have written honest in your opinion other words in others opinions.

One monkey- and it's irresponsible owners- did cause problems that were not classified as funny and were not being viewed as a "ship happens" incident. I was on the ship with a group of 85 friends and family (many of which on their first cruise)- try explaining that this is way out of the norm! The confusion caused by the procedures for checking in were compounded by the S&S issues that were experienced throughout the cruise. Many non-reported guests had reported but were not acknowledged. A muster drill would have been the fastest way to ensure all passengers stopped what they were doing and reported for the head count. When left to their own devices some will just consider their personal agenda more important than that of the group.

And, for the one poster here that was on board traveling with the culprit, please let them know that the renewal of my and my sister-in-laws vows (which was planned by our husbands for almost two years as a surprise), along with the dinner for 30 of our friends and family at the Supper Club they were both hosting DID NOT go off as planned.

Rumors passed on through room stewards to one of my friends were that the owners had been informed to keep the monkey in the room after it was removed from the balcony by their room steward on more than one occasion. Also it is rumored that the owner is now banned from Carnival and was put off the ship in Jamacia, which may be the least of their concerns if they are held financially responsible for the false claim of passenger overboard.

On paper, this may appear to be a harmless mascot for the owner to parade around- but in reality it caused thousands of dollars in expense and inconvenienced over 4000 passengers and crew.

Sorry I am not closing this with an RIP, but rather a thank goodness the monkey is gone and won't cause further havoc.

Yes..I would say that this was certainly 'way out of the norm'....but, you as a person who has cruised before probably know that ANYTHING can happen on a ship..

Yes, it does suck that the vow renewal was ruined...but I will say to you the same thing I say to the people who plan their weddings on a cruise.

:eek: ARE YOU NUTS?????

Yes, a flying/swimming monkey could have been avoided had the owners realized that he would jump overboard...but the reality is that having issues of one kind or another is not unusual on any cruise. Crazy stuff happens on these ships and people's 'plan's are ruined all the time.

Cruising is not a dependable vacation and is certainly not one where you should 'count' on anything, whether it's special plans or the ports on your itinerary.

So...I am sure the monkey owner learned a big lesson from this adventure. I'm just hoping you did as well.

Yes..I would say that this was certainly 'way out of the norm'....but, you as a person who has cruised before probably know that ANYTHING can happen on a ship..

Yes, it does suck that the vow renewal was ruined...but I will say to you the same thing I say to the people who plan their weddings on a cruise.

:eek: ARE YOU NUTS?????

Yes, a flying/swimming monkey could have been avoided had the owners realized that he would jump overboard...but the reality is that having issues of one kind or another is not unusual on any cruise. Crazy stuff happens on these ships and people's 'plan's are ruined all the time.

Cruising is not a dependable vacation and is certainly not one where you should 'count' on anything, whether it's special plans or the ports on your itinerary.

So...I am sure the monkey owner learned a big lesson from this adventure. I'm just hoping you did as well.

I got married on a cruise and it was flawless. But, yes, I am nuts. It has nothing to do with the wedding, though.. Thank God there were no inflatable monkeys on the guest list. As for the "ship happens" excuse, I'm tired of it. The monkey's owner, whoever that may be, was negligent. If the cruise line was negligent, causing anxiety, delay, inconvenience, etc, there would be people here talking about lawsuits.

I got married on a cruise and it was flawless. But, yes, I am nuts. It has nothing to do with the wedding, though.. Thank God there were no inflatable monkeys on the guest list.

You were lucky...LOL...few weddings on sea or land are flawless ;)

Being a bit older and wiser now, would you take that chance again???

just curious.

Actually, I can't say it was flawless. I mean, ship happens, but they were very minor problems. I would do it again in a heartbeat. But we got married in the port of Tampa, before the ship left. There's no way I would do a wedding in a port of call.

Apparently he wasn't tied down good enough. And we wouldn't have this thread if it weren't for your irresponsibility, right? I mean, no one would have had to ding their cards if the toy hadn't fallen overboard. ..

One little monkey sitting on the deck, he blew off and bumped his head. Called for the doctor and the doctor said, no more monkeys sitting on the deck - lighten up. And yes, this thread would not have been possible if not for "RIP" Julius!!!!:D:DKaboochi

I'm sure you really don't care - as the truth seems to really zoom right by your zip code, but your rumors are completely incorrect.

Just for the record...

--room steward never asked the monkey to be kept inside

--instead room steward brought fellow crew members down to cabin while guests were in port to take pictures (shall we talk about irresponsible here?)

--monkey was secure, as he always has been on past cruises but winds were extremely gusty, resulting in accidental monkey overboard

--guest remained on the cruise and it was never even mentioned that she would be left behind

--CCL hasn't banned anyone for this accident

Got it?

Sorry your super supper club and vow renewal didn't go off as planned. I too would have been disappointed. Just like I was disappointed that the weather sucked in GC and we didn't get to go on our excursion.

Welcome to life in the real world - and even on a cruise, ship happens. You learn to roll with it. It was an accident, it happened, I don't really think anyone enjoyed the incident, rather we're trying to make the best of it. And it's time to move on. Perhaps instead of name calling and spreading rumors, you can learn to enjoy life and roll with the punches.

It makes things soooo much easier.

bad weather in GC is a natural event, a blow-up monkey is not, one has nothing to do with the other.:rolleyes:

The government in GC regulates who goes out and who doesn't to SR City and the goverment cancelled the tours,all tours supposely that day which is why Carnival cancelled theres. However, the independent companies continued to take passengers out even thou winds were bad,so im assuming you got one of those. I however with my company was not taking the chance of injury so I tendered over there and discussed the matter with them and advised I was not taking the chance. If you had a good time Im glad for you. They did advise me they were allowed to go until 11am. OK now how does that make sense to me they wanted there bucs no matter what.

We were with a very reputable company that I used a few years past and is well know on the GC boards for their tours- all of our group had the option of cancelling without fee prior to depature- we knew the sandbar was being shut down at 11:00 and the Cayman Coast Guard was standing by on the sandbar. We did get a shortened experience with the rays. And, while the water was not as placid as it was last time it was by no means dangerous- my 7yo daughter had no problems playing in the water. We snorkeled at the reef with no problems and then spent the afternoon at Rum Point. The weather breaked late in the day and we made the most of what we had. Carnival makes their decision to cancel the night before arrival, so their call was based on the front that ran through on Tuesday evening.

The company was not out to "make the bucks"- their reputation is at stake and I don't think a thousand dollars is going to make or break their bottom line. But, taking out passengers and having an "accident" would.

I certainly do appreciate your concern.

99.9% of all of us on the cruise have no hard feelings towards you or the monkeys owner. It is actually kind of funny and a great story at this point. I think the others who have been rude on here are truly the ones who owe you guys the apology.

Add my family and me to the people on this cruise who have no hard feelings towards Julius' owners. Our reaction was that we would have a good story to tell. We are happy that Julius was the only casualty.

This is where you are wrong- it was funny for some to see the monkey while docked, funny to see the monkey dressed up and paraded around, funny that the monkey had a life of it's own. It is not funny that three ships and one helicopter spent untold dollars and delayed the schedule for all concerned to search for a toy that was taped to the balcony. Someone in the bunch just stated that the reinforced the tape just prior to going in to get ready for dinner because the winds were picking up. How much easier would it have been to say, "it is dark, it is windy, I am just going to bring it in until Jamacia."?

I think you need to redefine you view of funny. The person that owes the apology is the owner, she is posting today on the RCCL board and admitted her error- I am sure she has read all of these posts yet has not chimed in. And, for the record I have not been rude to anybody, I have not called any names, just stated I felt the owner (and all involved) were irresponsible and should be held accountable for their actions (which were not accidental, funny, or minor.)

This is my final post, unless worktocruise posts again, then my next post will be my final post. Or something like that..

oh well as we read on, we weren't so lucky and it wasnt ur last post!

My 2 cents......It was very unfortunate that the vow renewal was interrupted as a result of this accident, i am planning mine next year on a cruise also..but last year there was a wedding interruption because there was small fire above or next to the chapel and they had to wait approx. 3-4 hrs before they could use the area again, it was due to a guest smoking in the wrong place....

As far as the owner of julius....whoever hasn't met her is missing out on befriending a beautiful, loving & fun human being........she's AWSOME, and am pretty sure feels really bad about the inconveniences caused to other cruise members......

HEY cruisinisforme....(J****)do you think the pics i took with julius on the Carnival Liberty last year are going to be a collector's item??????

One little monkey sitting on the deck, he blew off and bumped his head. Called for the doctor and the doctor said, no more monkeys sitting on the deck - lighten up. And yes, this thread would not have been possible if not for "RIP" Julius!!!!:D:DKaboochi

now thats funny.:D

mike

Archived