Carnival Elation U11 (cat. 4c)

TravelJunkie2415

Well, it could be.

I've been in E56 on Elation and had some issues with naseau. That was before I started taking ginger tablets as well as Bonine. I had no problems at all on Miracle or Glory, so we'll see if going back on a Fantasy-class ship causes any problems again.

I prefer an inside to a window, personally. On Elation, I just spent a lot of time sitting up on deck, in the fresh air. I never actually got sick (on any cruise although our first one on little Jubilee, we were in R7 and had 14' seas), and rarely miss a meal. ;)

It will probably depend on the seas. If you've never tried Ginger, I highly recommend it. Start it a couple of days before you sail.

I'll let you know in a couple of weeks if I have any problems on Fascination. Just now getting weather forecasts for the early part of the cruise and we could have some high winds which usually means high seas, too. I hope not, but if we do, I hope my ginger works!

A got a large jar of capsules at WalMart.

I take 1 am and 1 pm, starting at least a day before sailing. I also split my Bonine and take 1/2 am and 1/2 pm, starting the evening we sail or, if the forecast isn't looking so good, the morning we board.

Even though they are "less drowsy," I still feel sleepy a lot, so I split it to try to alleviate some of that. Plus, I have alcohol in the evenings and don't want to take it on top of that.

Drink lots of water with them, as they seem to sort of "stick" and need lots of fluids.

There are also the wrist bands. Not very attractive, but many swear by them. Unfortunately, most people I see with them on the ships aren't wearing them properly.

Check this website for proper positioning. You can feel the correct spot by just pressing there. You'll know when you find it.

http://www.homebackpainacupressure.com/acupressure-for-sea-sickness.html

Good luck!

I just came back on the Spirit on 11/28/08 and the ocean was like a lake. Smooth as could be which made it ideal for seeing dolphins and whales. It is not the storm season, so you should have the same conditions.

My experience is that there is more movement in the front of any ship no matter it's size. But if you don't spend much time in your cabin, you'll be fine. Won't bother you for sleeping.

• 5 weeks later...
I will be traveling on the Carnival Elation. My room is on the upper deck towards the very front of the ship in an inside cabin. This is the first time I have traveled in an inside cabin, and usually I stay towards the center. I'm hoping the motion wont be too much.

Any opinions?

I was on the Elation late Nov/early Dec and we had cabin M118. It was pretty much mid ship. There was very little motion in the cabin and it was very quiet.

This was my first cruise. I get very motion sick. I wore the patch and the wrist bands (more attractive ones found at local Rite Aid with pattern on them and they looked sort of like bracelts).

I felt the motion of the ship most when I was in the forward parts of the ship, especially the Mikado Showroom, internet cafe, mini golf course. A couple of times I felt a bit off and went outside for fresh air and I was better. I never got sick though. I decided that I would not want to stay in a forward cabin because of this though. In short doses I could handle it but would not want my cabin there.

Jen

I will be traveling on the Carnival Elation. My room is on the upper deck towards the very front of the ship in an inside cabin. This is the first time I have traveled in an inside cabin, and usually I stay towards the center. I'm hoping the motion wont be too much.

Any opinions?

Now that you have sailed-- can you tell us about that cabin?

Sailed Fascination a couple of weeks ago in U99, which was the first time we did a "sideways" inside. Cabin was the usual, but I think there was less closet space due to the layout. Unfortunately, there was also some horrible "whump whump whump whump" sound in walls the entire time. Never had that problem in other locations on Fantasy-class ships. Guess there was an a/c unit in there somewhere or something similar.

Anyway, it was very choppy when we left. This was the first time I remember not sleeping well in Carnival's wonderful beds. It was due to the "shaking" movement that was side-to-side. I don't have a problem with an up-and-down (forward-to-aft) sort of movement.

Hard to tell what you'll experience.

Third cruise since I started taking Ginger. They had barf bags out and they were being used, but I had NO problems with the motion.

I highly recommend it. I did take Bonine on the first night as well, and the night we left Half Moon Cay because it was very choppy that evening as well. I was fine.

Next "experiment" will be in May when I have an all-the-way-forward cabin on Victory on Deck 6. I'm convinced I'm cured (which may be part of the cure itself).

I just got off the Elation yesterday and was also in E56. We did not experience very rough seas and we even had a slight rain shower coming back to San Diego.

The real bottom line is that with an inside cabin, you spend very little time in the cabin other than sleeping because there is nothing to do or see in there.

Archived