Cruisinmama, your expertise is needed.

um5xno1

Hi gang,

Anyone can answer, but it seems Cruisinmama is resident the expert...

We will be cruising with RCI on the LOS this April with a 1 y/o, currently she's 9 months. I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

1. My DD currently is an excellent sleeper, can sleep anywhere, in any noise, and with any type of blanket, pillow, and sheet. My wife wants to bring our pack'n play, I want to borrow the ships. Obviously we will bring our own sheet, blanket, etc. to make it seem like home, but my wife is convinced that it will be disgusting. My take is that there is a room steward-if its gross have them change it out or clean it until its satisfactory-a tip goes a long way...

2. Getting on and off the ship...we have an umbrella stroller that we love...do they make you remove the baby from the stroller every time you get on and off? Also, have you found it easier to have the porters take the stroller direct to your room, or should we carry it on, knowing there may be times we will have to remove DD, and fold up the stroller. I am thinking I would rather have the stroller with us, that way I do not have to carry the baby until the stroller and luggage shows up at the cabin.

3. Passport, should I get one, or go with the birth certificate? If I go with the birth certificate, does a certified copy work or do I need to tour the Caribbean with the original....if that is the case, I think we will go for the Passport. Also, does anyone know if I am too late to get the passport if we have 3+ months to go?

I think that's all for now.....I appreciate anyone's tips, experiences, and advice!!!

Hi,

we sailed on Freedom with our 11month this September and had a ball.

1 - we used the ships pack n play and I found it to be fine. If it hadn't been I would have asked for a new one until I found one that was. I am quite fussy though so can reassure you that it was in tip top condition! We brought our own sheets and blanket though.

2 - Only had to take dd out of the stroller once to put it through the x-ray machine and then she stayed in it until we were on the ship. I would def recommend not giving your stroller to the porters (although we did give them our car seat!) and using it to keep track of your little one. If you are sailing from Miami it was quite a walk from the bag drop to the ship however very smooth and well done. There are also elevators for you to use.

3 - Can't help as from UK and we have a passport for dd.

Have a great cruise and if I can be of any more help just let me know.

Christie

1. Pack N PLay - Christie is right. I would use the one on the LOS. But if mom is adamant and you are driving, then I don't see a huge problem with bringing your own. I would check it with the porters. ;)

2. When getting on the ship, keep the stroller with you. They will make you fold it up for the xray machine. But then once you are through the xray machine, they will direct you to the elevator and you won't have to remove the baby anymore until you are in the cabin. :) You are 100% right...keeping the stroller with you while you wait for the cabin to be ready will be a nice comfy place for the baby to rest.

When getting off the ship IN PORT. If you are docked, then keep the baby IN the stroller. There is a little known fact that on ships, they allow parents with babies IN strollers to take the elevator down to the front of the line. No waiting in the stairwell. ;)

But, if you are at a port that you need to tender to....Take the baby in the elevator to the gangway, BUT, get her out of the stroller before you board the tender. I have seen them balance the strollers and hand them over from the ganway to the tender. It freaks me out every time. :eek: So take the baby out and carry her when you board the tender. :)

3. Three months will be enough time to get a passport. If you don't have a passport, she will need a birth certificate with the raised seal. I have ordered copies of our birth certificates, so it doesn't have to be the absolute original...but it does have to be an official one (not a photo copy or anything ;))

from what we were told the passport rules were the same for the babies as for us. and when we got my girls's passports it only took a few weeks.

When are you traveling? The passport dates keep changing. Right now, the passport rules are as follows...

Arrivals by sea: cruise passengers, meanwhile, have a different date; passports won't be required until June 1 2009, for those crossing borders by sea.

When are you traveling? The passport dates keep changing. Right now, the passport rules are as follows...

Arrivals by sea: cruise passengers, meanwhile, have a different date; passports won't be required until June 1 2009, for those crossing borders by sea.

4-25-09, so we are good. Thanks!

Cruisinmama. Can I jump in here and ask maybe an unrelated question. We've done 5 or so cruises with our 2 boys (not in your league but getting there) and are looking into our next one. I read over on the Royal Carib board that you loved the Freedom of the seas so we are considering that one next. My kids will be 14 and 11 ( a month shy of 12) this summer when we plan to cruise. My questions are:

1) I think we'd like to do 2 rooms for once. The wife and I need a balcony, any old one woudld do, but could do an inexpensive inside room for the boys. Any advice on kind of rooms or location. I assume we could request that the inside be right accross the hall? there arent any balconys that connect with insides right?

2) And this one has probably been discussed ad nauseum but here I go again.... Since their kids clubs are age range 12-14, any chance I can get them both in the same group? We've done cruises with them in different groups but its just so much easier if they go together to the same activities etc. I know on NCL they basically had a zero tolerance but I was wondering if RCI was any more lenient?

3) And finally, if I dont feel comfortable takng my kids to a, well, clothing or tops optional beach, are there places on the eastern carib itinerary that we should be careful of or is that not a big concern?

Thanks for all the good advice you give all of us.

2) And this one has probably been discussed ad nauseum but here I go again.... Since their kids clubs are age range 12-14, any chance I can get them both in the same group? We've done cruises with them in different groups but its just so much easier if they go together to the same activities etc. I know on NCL they basically had a zero tolerance but I was wondering if RCI was any more lenient?

Not Cruisinmama, but...I emailed RCCL about 6 months ago about the possibility of bumping my DD up to the next age group if she was a couple of weeks shy of her bday and had a friend on board who's bday had passed and so would officially be in the next age group. This was specifically for an 11yo to the 12-14 group (I'm looking ahead a couple years...) Below is the response from RCCL. Also, I have heard reports (but this is only hearsay) that the teen activities aren't quite as structured and therefore they don't check ages as closely for those.

From RCCL:

"Concerning our Adventure Ocean program, it is understood that our younger guests wish to be together. To this end, our onboard staff will evaluate the request.

All requests for changes in age groups in the Adventure Ocean program are handled as follows:

Prior to any age group change request all children must be enrolled in their proper age group for one day activity session and one night activity session of at least 3 hours.

If after this period of time there is still a request to change age groups the Adventure Ocean Manager with the assistance of the supervising Youth Staff will decide if the child can change age groups.

Children may bump down an age group at any time as decided by the parents and Adventure Ocean Manager but they may not alternate back and forth between age groups.

The Adventure Ocean Manager can make an exception and bump up a child an age group if applicable and monitored for one full day."

Hope this helps!

You should be honored people seek you personally.....like the other experts on here- you, SueL, etc....

Awww I am. :D And I call on SueL and some others when I need expert advice. :D

1) I think we'd like to do 2 rooms for once. The wife and I need a balcony, any old one woudld do, but could do an inexpensive inside room for the boys. Any advice on kind of rooms or location. I assume we could request that the inside be right accross the hall? there arent any balconys that connect with insides right?

3) And finally, if I dont feel comfortable takng my kids to a, well, clothing or tops optional beach, are there places on the eastern carib itinerary that we should be careful of or is that not a big concern?

Thanks for all the good advice you give all of us.

1 - I don't know about insides connected to a balcony. You can request one across the hall. Call RCCL and see if there are any other options. Maybe even a PR cabin across from a balcony? Then they could look down into the Promenade. That sleeps 2 people.

2. ncmomof2 - great info in that email. :)

3. St. Martin - Orient Beach does have topless bathing because it is a European style beach. The far end of Orient Beach is "Club Orient" which is fully nude. Some families like to stay with Divi Little Bay

http://www.divilittlebay.com/DiviLittleBay/

There are some insides that connect to balconies on the both the Voyager class and Freedom class. There are also oceanviews that connect to balconies.

On Freedom, Insides that connect to balconies are 9696/9701 and 9396/9401. Oceanviews that connect to balconies are 8518/8520, 8218/8220, 9518/9520, 9218/9220. There are similiar combos on deck 8 and 9 of the Voyager class.

Hi gang,

Anyone can answer, but it seems Cruisinmama is resident the expert...

We will be cruising with RCI on the LOS this April with a 1 y/o, currently she's 9 months. I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

1. My DD currently is an excellent sleeper, can sleep anywhere, in any noise, and with any type of blanket, pillow, and sheet. My wife wants to bring our pack'n play, I want to borrow the ships. Obviously we will bring our own sheet, blanket, etc. to make it seem like home, but my wife is convinced that it will be disgusting. My take is that there is a room steward-if its gross have them change it out or clean it until its satisfactory-a tip goes a long way...

I understand your wife's concerns. I just went on a HAL's new ship, the Eurodam and there was old vomit stains on the pack and play already! Thankfully I found this item called "Coverplay." Its like a slip cover for play yards. Its like $50, but you can use it whenever you travel, or at home. A lot of day care places use it so they can keep them clean and just throw those in the wash if they get soiled. Worked well for us!! I love the desing I got too and it comes with a small carry bag that we used to put beach stuff in.

Thanks folks. one last question for those that have done Freedom (or any East Carib itinerary) is Port or Starboard side any better, or no difference?

For me, no difference. If we are in port and I want to look at the other side, than I just go on deck. ;)

I look for a cabin that is closest to the kids club and pools. I don't worry about port verses starboard. So usually my first goal is to get a high deck. :)

Archived