Costa Maya

napalover

We will be visiting Costa Maya in December and we will be going to Majahal and also to a monkey farm, that is outside Majahal. Have never been to the farm but hear that it is small and a rehab for the animals, it is free but they do take donations. We were at the pool area last year, it was very nice, get off the boat, there is also a rocky beach just near the pier, just be careful, some of the boards said there were sea urchants in the water there. The beach at Majahal, I read ,is very nice. So enjoy your day.

We will be visiting Costa Maya in December and we will be going to Majahal and also to a monkey farm, that is outside Majahal.

trudle,

I don't have any personal experience, but FWIW I just read another comment about the Monkey Farm in the Carnival section that didn't like it at all:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=98491&highlight=monkey+farm

I wish we would have just stopped at the little tourist area and never tried to do anything else because the rest of the trip turned into a Survivor episode from H#ll! After reading about this Spider monkey farm near Majahual, I really wanted to go check it out. We took a cab to Majahual and despite the warnings from the cab drivers, we opted to go to the monkey farm anyway. Our cab driver (he spoke little english, we spoke no spanish) warned us about the mosquitos and stopped at a little market so we could get some repellent. We arrived at the farm and really wished we had turned back. There didn't seem to be anyone around. The cab driver went to find someone and when he got out of the cab, a million mosquitos got in. I have never seen mosquitos bang into glass to get at the "victims" waiting inside. To make a long story short, we saw 6 monkeys, walked through a 1/2 mile of jungle, got tore up by a bizillion mosquitos and called it quits. We didn't really like Majahual. But to be fair, at this point we were both really miserable and didn't feel like fending off the vendors who seemed to be hounding tourists.

Napalover, it depends on if you want to relax and have fun or you want to be adventurous... in Costa Maya, we got off the ship and headed straight to the large pool at the end of the pier (middle of the shopping village), large swim up pool bar, DJ, and fun... there is also another pool with volleyball. It was probably one of my favorite days... very relaxing, very close to the ship... and LOTS of fun. Didn't really care about anything else CM had to offer, so this suited me just fine!! Either way, have a great time!!!!

Glad to hear that there is finally something in Costa Maya. We we there a couple years ago. I think the port had just started taking cruise ships and it wasn't anything but a small shopping area. I'll have to go back, the pool sounds great.:)

Archived