Family of 5 - Cabin advice please

crzgrl66

We have taken 2 family cruises so far (DCL & Carnival) both times we had our children in our cabin. We are planning on going on RCL Rhapsody. This time we are thinking of doing 2 cabins. Our children will be 14, 8, & 6 when we sail.

Here are our options, please advise me on your experience with either...

1) 2 adjoining outside cabins

2) 1 balcony room with inside cabin directly across

DH thinks it's a no brainer, go for the balcony but I'm kind of nervous about the boys being across the hall.

By adjoining, do you mean connecting, or side by side? EM

I think I mean adjoining or maybe it's connecting? Now I'm so confused! They would be side by side with a door in between that we could leave open.

My 14 year old is very responsible and I figure they would just be in their room to sleep and get dressed. Otherwise they would be in our cabin to "hang out" or out enjoying the ship with us.

I wasn't even considering a balcony until I read on the threads how awesome it is to have a balcony to view scenery in Alaska.

Any other thoughts?

I think I mean adjoining or maybe it's connecting? Now I'm so confused! They would be side by side with a door in between that we could leave open.

My 14 year old is very responsible and I figure they would just be in their room to sleep and get dressed. Otherwise they would be in our cabin to "hang out" or out enjoying the ship with us.

I wasn't even considering a balcony until I read on the threads how awesome it is to have a balcony to view scenery in Alaska.

Any other thoughts?

Connecting rooms have a door between the rooms. Adjoining just means the rooms are next to each other. All connecting rooms are also adjoining, but most adjoining rooms do not connect.

As a regular family cruiser, we almost ALWAYS book two connecting rooms, including when we sailed Alaska two summers ago. There are several advantages over the non-adjoining rooms:

1. You have more peace of mind because you can supervise the kids because of their proximity, yet you can also have privacy anytime just be closing the connecting door.

2. You have more efficient access and use of the two bathrooms. For example, if mom is busy getting ready for formal night, dad can just run next door to use the bathroom. Showers can be done quickly as all the family use whichever bathroom is free.

3. If you get connecting balconies, many ships have balcony partitions that can open to create a larger, open balcony space--great for the family!

4. You are assured of having the same cabin steward.

And compared to suites (done that too!), you get comparable total space with more bathrooms for a much lower cost.

So it seems to boil down to two questions only you can answer:

1. Is your 14 year-old responsible enough to take care of the two younger ones so that two non-connecting staterooms are really an option for you?

2. If the answer to #1 is "yes", then can you afford the additional expense of two connecting balconies, or is the decision between either two connecting Oceanviews versus non-connecting balcony and inside to stay within your budget?

I think that it all depends on your kids. If you think that they are responsible enough to handle their own room across the hall, then I'd go with that as it will save some money. However, if there is any doubt about how responsible they are, then the money isn't worth it- I would pay the extra and get connecting cabins. You know your kids better than any of us.

Just a tip - you can throw a towel over the top of the connecting door to prevent it from closing completely.
We throw the deadbolt lock with the door open to keep the door ajar enough to know what's going on next door.

This is a very individual decision, but we have a 16,12 and 8 year old. Our 16 year old DD is very responsible when it comes to her siblings and has been babysitting them since she was 12, but I would be a nervous wreck with them in a cabin that does not connect, we always get the connecting.

It just seems like there are so many little things that could happen such as someone coming to their door (had someone very drunk bang on their door and try to open it on the Zenith one night) but we were right there to handle it.

If you are comfortable with it and trust them then that is your decision, but I would not enjoy myself as much as I would be worrying about them.

Archived