My OPINION of RCCL Serenade of the Seas 10/30 - 11/6

[quote name='BADBUOY'][b]

[b]Why people call other people snobs because they may have a preference on certain things is beyond me. [/b]

[b]BD[/b][/QUOTE] this is where people like Sunny Bunny and others miss the point, I have no problem with anyone liking anything high end low end or whatever...but when some snob like Sunny Bunny comes accross like she is better than others that is the problem. I had a friend of mine who is a English Lit prof read the OP first post and he said "the tone of her letter came across as snobish, take it for what it is worth.

then some Sunny Bunny fans come on and start calling any one who disliked her post names, I could name names but I think it is clear who you are. My idea why don't all the *&%$#*% snobs go on cruise on the X or whatever high end ship they want and they can think how great they are.

Why is it that anytime someone likes finer things, others call them snobs. It happens on every formal thread posting, and now it is happening here. When I was small I thought McDonald's had the best french fries in the world, and now I eat them only when there is literally nothing else to eat. Once you develop a taste for fine dining it is very difficult to go to a Shoney's and eat the buffet. It doesn't mean you are a snob, it means you have changed your opinion of what makes food good. I agree that sunny bunny wasn't the most politically correct poster of all time, but I think calling her a snob for the 10th time is boarish, and PC language is silly. I say let her speak the way she speaks, and you can form your own opinion. :rolleyes:

jc

[quote name='stretch']

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]jc, I'm truly sorry that you have spent soooo much $$ at some of the best vineyards in our country and was subjected to having to "mix" wines. Perhap you should try some of our North Georgia vineyards. At the ones that I have tried, I have always received an appropriate, clean glass for each wine tried. I guess you can chalk that up to "southern charm". :D [/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]Stretch[/color][/size][/font][/i][/QUOTE]

I spent some time on this therad being very hard on SUNNY BUNNY and others, critizing snobs and the like, but now it is my turn

Wines made in Georgia, I think I saw some of it for sale once I believe it was at the .98 cent store. Everyone knows that the only true wine made In the USA is made in the Napa valley.

Ok now that is done I am willing to take all the heat for that snobby statement.

I do hope they have thunderbird wine on my next rci cruise.

I bet now that TahoeBob has declared the only good wine to be from Napa, that those silly fools that own wineries in Sonoma will simply close them up. :eek: The people in Oregon and Washington states are probably committing suicide knowing that the final authority has spoken and their highly rated wines are actually vinegar. :rolleyes:

jc

Let them talk long enough and their credibility goes right down the ole toilet, I always say!:D :p

Tahoe Bob,
You say, "[i]then some Sunny Bunny fans come on and start calling any one who disliked her post names, I could name names but I think it is clear who you are. My idea why don't all the *&%$#*% snobs go on cruise on the X or whatever high end ship they want and they can think how great they are."

[/i]I don't think any of us are "SunnyBunny" fans (as a matter of fact, that's the first post I've read from her.) Some of us are just defending her right to post a review of her own personal experiences without getting crucified.
And, thanks, I think I will try an "X" cruise! Great idea! :cool:

[quote name='xpcdoojk']Why is it that anytime someone likes finer things, others call them snobs. It happens on every formal thread posting, and now it is happening here. When I was small I thought McDonald's had the best french fries in the world, and now I eat them only when there is literally nothing else to eat. Once you develop a taste for fine dining it is very difficult to go to a Shoney's and eat the buffet. It doesn't mean you are a snob, it means you have changed your opinion of what makes food good. I agree that sunny bunny wasn't the most politically correct poster of all time, but I think calling her a snob for the 10th time is boarish, and PC language is silly. I say let her speak the way she speaks, and you can form your own opinion. :rolleyes:

jc[/QUOTE]
OK, jc, now them's fighting words. I may not know wine, but (based on the current size of my thighs) I do know my french fries, and at least at McDonald's you know what you're getting (and I like it) :D understand exactly what you're saying and agree completely. Tastes change, and once you've sampled something better than what you've had before, it can change your perspective. As I said earlier, Sunny's post, while certainly informative, did come off as a bit elitist. I was just glad to see that she, as so many other posters, ranked Serenade high for cleanliness and service.

Oh, and let's not forget the wines of CA's Central Coast! Before I was a SMURFS (see posts a few pages back), we used to go up to their annual wine festival. I don't recall if they gave us a white wine glass or a red wine glass (by the end of the day I couldn't even recall my own name), but whatever they were pouring was mighty fine.

Laurie

I am somewhat confused. :confused: What is it about the English Lit major that qualifies one to be on snob patrol? I would call it a bit of snobbery to think that one's profession or education gives them some greater ability to decide who is a snob. :rolleyes:

And by the way, this thread will NOT be more fun than CSI until we see some dead bodies lying around............

[quote name='xpcdoojk']I bet now that TahoeBob has declared the only good wine to be from Napa, that those silly fools that own wineries in Sonoma will simply close them up. :eek: The people in Oregon and Washington states are probably committing suicide knowing that the final authority has spoken and their highly rated wines are actually vinegar. :rolleyes:

jc

Let them talk long enough and their credibility goes right down the ole toilet, I always say!:D :p[/QUOTE]

And when it comes to wine you are correct, I have no credilility. I know as much about wines as I do other things that I come across knowing everything about. The truth be told just the other day my wife told me that is there anything you know, as well as you think you know it. well that said I am done posting anything, execpt for bad jokes.

only nice things from now on

Here's something people that have been around here awhile have missed. Doesn't the OP's "web voice " sound familiar?? It does to me. I've read all HER posts and I'll swear I've heard her before going by a different name. I'll bet she's from Conneticut. :D

I find the observations of RCCL to be almost exactly what we've experienced on RCCL. (We're Platinum members)

[SIZE=5]S[/SIZE]

WOW! Is all I can say! There won't be a next post, but if there was, I can definately tell you I would NEVER offer my honest opinion on this board again! I am utterly confused as to how my completely opinion based post could cause so many people to reply in such a derogatory fashion? Those of you who felt it necessary to defend what you believe to be your personal "status" and proceed to demean what you ASSUMED my "class" is really make me laugh. First off, my intention when comparing RCCL's cuisine to restaurants of varying levels was to offer a point of reference. I offered my candid perspective with the intention of offering both foodies and those who couldn't give a crap about food a vauge frame of reference on what to expect when sailing. Each week there are 100's of questions regarding the quality and caliber of food offered on EVERY cruise line. What better way to offer a frame of reference than to offer comparisons against the type of restaurants individuals on this board can relate to as they are in every town in every state throughout the country? Rather than hear another person say that the food is bad, I tried to tell you why I thought the food was bad. What I percieve as bad may be what you percieve as good, depending on YOUR frame of reference. I NEVER referred to any of the establishments in my posting as sub-par or bad, yet many of you chose to do so yourselves. There are loads of people that have no interest in experiencing "gourmet" food and those are the individuals I was attempting to assist. Had I just said the food was mediocre and left it at that, I would have provided an inaccurate perspectve for at least 50% of those who frequesnt this board. I was simply trying to explain that only a limited number of poeple would probably be disappointed as opposed to the masses. But, by the same token, if you share the same pasion for food/wine that I do, you would very likely be disappointed.

Additionally, As I said in my original posting, this is my 2nd cruise. Rather than make a determination to stick with the 1st cruise line that I sailed (Celebrity) I felt it was a good idea to explore. Contrary to what many of you seem to assume, I am not wealthy or snobby but rather a hardworking individual who has very selective preferences on cuisine and service. This forum offers an opportunity for 1,000's of people to provide insight on cruising from hundreds of different perspectives. My post was in no way critical against any individual or group of people. There are many middle-class individuals that share the same passion I have for enjoying what has been classified as the "finer" things in life. I was simply offering a perspective that would offer those who share similar interests to mine insight as to what to expect on RCCL. Those of you who were motivated to defend your own preferences based simply on the fact I chose to share mine, are truly laughable. I never attacked you, your values or your financial status yet you felt then need to make broad assumptions as to me, my values and my "socioeconomic" level.

The true rude, narrow minded snobs have done a good job of identifying themselves and frankly, if sailing on a higher end line is what I have to do to to avoid cranky, rude, classless people such as those who made the particularly negative/rude replies to my post, I may consider doing so in the future. To those of you who took my opinion, as such, thank you. I hope I was able to offer a a bit of insight on a highly popular topic. :)

<< I was simply trying to explain that only a limited number of poeple would probably be disappointed as opposed to the masses. But, by the same token, if you share the same pasion for food/wine that I do, you would very likely be disappointed. >>

Sunny,
I think this is the point. [b]EVERYONE KNOWS [/b]you will not get this on RCI. So no one goes with this in mind. Hence the warm heat felt through out the thread. RCI is OK, but nothing more. And with the expectations you expressed, not on RCI.

[quote name='stretch'][i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]Good Grief People!!!![/color][/size][/font][/i]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]All that's needed next are a cross and nails. Talk about absolute snobbery, you folks take the cake. Sunnybunny writes a very well thought out review, using comparisons that make complete sense and you blast the cr*p out of her. IMHO, you all should write an appology to her. I feel that her review was completely honest, and not only applies to the Serenade many RCI ships. We had the exact same dining, and entertainment experiences on the Brilliance in March and my review afterword was, although not as well written, a carbon copy of Sunnybunny's. I for one am completely disappointed in the reactions of all you RCI loyalists. I saw no where in the review any indications that RCI patrons were below her, but it is very apparent that, judging by the lynch crowd that replied, you are indeed several steps down on the food chain. [/color][/size][/font][/i]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]Sunnybunny, thank you for your excellent review, we'll have to sail together sometime, but certainly not on any ship with this type of loyalist cadre. I hope that we will have the opportunity to meet on a Celebrity Cruise soon. As for the RCI fan club, I hope you all enjoy your bland little mediocre lives together. I also hope you're happy with your heads stuck in the sand. Some of you really make me sick![/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]Stretch[/color][/size][/font][/i][/QUOTE]
Stretch,

Thanks for all of your positive comments. I sincerely appreciate that you interpreted my post in the manner for which it was intended. While I have no cruises planned at the moment, perhaps our paths will cross on a future sailing. ;)

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=darkorchid]Sunny bunny: if someone has already pointed this out I'm sorry, just couldn't get past page 2 myself, too much flaming. The night that you didn't "understand" the menu was international night. They try to represent different cultures on the menu, hence the weird mix of food. On the Navigator they have a bar called Vintages, it has a huge selection of wines from Francis Ford Copola, Beringers and several other vineyards. They have a large selection of crystal glassware for use in the bar. If you want glasses to go they don't give you the crystal but they will give you an appropriate glass for the wine that you are consuming. So if you do chose RCCL again, think about the Navigator. The staff in Vintages is extremely knowledgeable on the wines as well, they get training in the Napa Valley twice a year or so. They serve wine flights with a different glass for each wine as well. Hope this helps, thanx for the review :) .[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='wallie5446']<< I was simply trying to explain that only a limited number of poeple would probably be disappointed as opposed to the masses. But, by the same token, if you share the same pasion for food/wine that I do, you would very likely be disappointed. >>

Sunny,
I think this is the point. [b]EVERYONE KNOWS [/b]you will not get this on RCI. So no one goes with this in mind. Hence the warm heat felt through out the thread. RCI is OK, but nothing more. And with the expectations you expressed, not on RCI.[/QUOTE]
Wallie,

If [b]EVERYONE[/b] knew as much as you assume they do, there would be no need for this forum. There are many people who believe RCCL is more than just "OK" as was witnessed on this thread. Personally, I believe RCCL is much more than OK. The service was outstanding, the ship was beautiful and the ease of travel uncomparable. While I agree the food was simply "ok", that was really the only aspect I found to be truly sub-par.

[quote name='tmt9367']Here's something people that have been around here awhile have missed. Doesn't the OP's "web voice " sound familiar?? It does to me. I've read all HER posts and I'll swear I've heard her before going by a different name. I'll bet she's from Conneticut. :D

I find the observations of RCCL to be almost exactly what we've experienced on RCCL. (We're Platinum members)

[size=5]S[/size][/QUOTE]
No conspiracy here - If I might be so bold as to make an assumption based on the Dolphins logo by your name, we may even be neighbors.

[quote name='Sunny Bunny']No conspiracy here - If I might be so bold as to make an assumption based on the Dolphins logo by your name, we may even be neighbors.[/QUOTE]

Sunny, my apologizes, I thought you were a banned poster from CT. I read more of your posts and you're not her. Sorry!

I was born, raised and educated in South Miami. (Can't figure out how to get the Hurricanes logo up there!) Moved out in 1989 and have never looked back!

[SIZE=5]S[/SIZE]

First, to the OP, thank you for your post, and review. I disagree with some of your opinions; but hey, they are only my personal taste preferences. For instance, I LOVE Arby's (and McDonald's french fries, when I ask for them without the salt--so they are always hot!). Granted, there aren't many left around here, so I only get there every so often, but I truly enjoy the food. I didn't enjoy the food on the Serenade. And if the food on Serenade was as good as Olive Garden (overall), then I would have very been satisfied--but it wasn't.

I wasn't surpised at the obviously unhappy folks who responded with venom to your post. I didn't think your post was "snobby" but I can understand how some folks could misinterpret it that way. Perhaps, if you had listed some expensive, but not so great places in your frame of referrence for those who might think the food is great (and there are tons of them!) the cost factor might not have entered folks mind--and they would not have made the huge leap to their conclusion. But, I think, there will always be those folks who are unhappy with their lot in life, and just itching to slam those who they perceive as "above" them--without regard to ANY facts.

Overall, I think your review was spot on. The food on RCCI has declined incredibly (and you gave it a 5...I would have given it a 2.5). Warm bread on the table has been replaced by cold rolls served one at a time by the asst waiter (when you can get his attention). The chief has not given much thought, I think, to the overall continuity of the menu.

RCI provides a beautiful ship. But I dare say, the quality of the food has only gone down as much as the quality of the folks who sail it. Perhaps it was just for the carribean or panama canal (where the weather provides the impetus for folks to just "hang out"), but when my hubby notices that folks can wear shorts on smart casual nights in the dinning room--and questions why he must wear a suit and tie--I know that it has slipped too far for my preferences. No snob appeal here, I just want to be surrounded by folks who care enough to follow the suggested dress code, if they choose to dine in the formal dinning room--and the food and drink to be appropriate to the surroundings. There's nothing wrong with Motel 6 or Holiday Inn Express. Neither is there anything wrong with a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons. What the heck happened to the Hyatt's and Marriotts in the cruising industry?

[quote name='TahoeBob']this is where people like Sunny Bunny and others miss the point, I have no problem with anyone liking anything high end low end or whatever...but when some snob like Sunny Bunny comes accross like she is better than others that is the problem. I had a friend of mine who is a English Lit prof read the OP first post and he said "the tone of her letter came across as snobish, take it for what it is worth.

then some Sunny Bunny fans come on and start calling any one who disliked her post names, I could name names but I think it is clear who you are. My idea why don't all the *&%$#*% snobs go on cruise on the X or whatever high end ship they want and they can think how great they are.[/QUOTE]I sincerely am flattered that you were so taken by my original post that you spent your valuable time to discuss my posting with your Professor friend. Was the complexity of my perspective such that you needed the assistance of a third party to decode its intent? When submitting my initial post, I never gave thought as to how my level of class stacked up to those who frequent this forum, but now that I have been forced to do so, I have come to the resounding conclusion that I would much rather be called a snob than be the type of individual (specifically such as yourself) who is motivated to demean the prefrences of others in an effort to validate their own existence. And, by the way, save you and your professor firend the trouble, this post was meant to sound as condecendingly as you are interpreting it! ----- WOW, I know that this response was totally petty but boy, it felt [b]really[/b] good! :rolleyes:

[quote name='tmt9367']Sunny, my apologizes, I thought you were a banned poster from CT. I read more of your posts and you're not her. Sorry!

I was born, raised and educated in South Miami. (Can't figure out how to get the Hurricanes logo up there!) Moved out in 1989 and have never looked back!

[size=5]S[/size][/QUOTE]
No problem! I haven't been banned yet, but the night is still young and it seems that I am well on my way! :) I am a South Florididian as well. Be a rebel, don't replace the Dolphin's logo!

Alright, I went back and reread her post and let's face it folks, she's right about RCCL. The food is not what it used to be. I'm forty years old and can remember when RCCL's food was great. Not gourmet, but very good. We did the Mariner this past April and the food was OK at best. Service wasn't all that great either. Ship was new, clean and very attractive. As for the production show, they stink. If you've seen one show, you've seen them all. They rarely change. If you've ever been to a show on Broadway or a pricey show in Vegas, the RCCL singers and dancers are laughable.

Flame away, I'm only stating my opinion. But, it seem my opinion is becoming more peoples opinion also.

[SIZE=5]S[/SIZE]

[quote name='tmt9367']Alright, I went back and reread her post and let's face it folks, she's right about RCCL. The food is not what it used to be. I'm forty years old and can remember when RCCL's food was great. Not gourmet, but very good. We did the Mariner this past April and the food was OK at best. Service wasn't all that great either. Ship was new, clean and very attractive. As for the production show, they stink. If you've seen one show, you've seen them all. They rarely change. If you've ever been to a show on Broadway or a pricey show in Vegas, the RCCL singers and dancers are laughable.

Flame away, I'm only stating my opinion. But, it seem my opinion is becoming more peoples opinion also.

[SIZE=5]S[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I was on the serenade in August and I agree the RCCL bozo's are us dancers/singers were about as much fun as babysitting a 1 year old. :eek:

this message is to everyone who has seen some of my posts on this message.
In thinking of the things I have said in my past few post I have come to conclusion that I have crossed the line in my responses. The thing I wanted to do was help liven things up, and what I ended up doing was pouring gas on a fire. I do know that everyone has there own thinking and what he or she believe in and what is important to them in a vacation. To anyone who was offended, by anything I said for this I am sorry. For anyone who thought I came across as a jerk you were right.
Happy crusing to all no matter where what boat you re on.

Bob p.

Archived