Bringing guitar- any tips?

Rockwife

Depending on the size of the unit it may well not fit thorough the Xray machine. Not sure if at that point they would be willing to hand inspect it or if they would insist it be checked to be xrayed by the bigger machines they use.

My husband and usually one of my sons will take their guitars when we cruise. We've always cruised with at least one guitar. They recommend you use a hard shell case instead of a gig bag. Don't let the guitar out of your sight. Security will set it on the coveyor belt and run it through the x-ray machine. Do not tag it and leave it with your luggage. Treat it as a carry on and even if your room isn't made up when you board you should be able to stop by your cabin, speak to your room steward and stow the guitar under the bed or in the closet. Of course it won't hurt to put a cabin tag on the case cuz you might set the guitar down somewhere and may become separated from it.

We've never had a problem except when we had severe damage to one guitar due to rough handling when a guitar had to be checked and stored with luggage on a plane.

Thanks for all the info! We're driving down to Charleston, not flying. I'd never trust airlines or porters with checking a soft-sided guitar case. I've seen what they do to luggage! :)

We'll keep it with us while boarding/disembarking.

Archived