First time cruiser confused about passport vs.birth certificate for minors HELP!

doulaamy

When we cruised in 2005 with our kids (19, 16, and 13 at the time), the oldest had a passport from a school trip to Europe, but the other two traveled with birth certificates and military dependent ID's. What a hassle! Keeping track of them was a pain, plus our checkin took forever, partly because our middle son was born in Scotland while we were stationed on an RAF exchange tour, so the poor girl at the counter could not make heads nor tails of his British birth certificate, and for the life of her she could not figure out how to enter his place of birth in her computer.

So for this cruise (for which we depart in 4 days 19 hours and 7 minutes, but who's counting....;)), we got everyone passports last year. Makes life much simpler!

Good luck whatever you decide.

Sue in Ohio

Do you have Power fo Attorney? Both times my brother-in-law was deployed my sister had Power of Attorney - Could you check with the state dept maybe that would be acceptable in place of him being in person. It works for other legal documents.

Yes, I have had a power of attorney for two years and I was told that I would still need their documentation, aka waiver. :(

I just want to thank everyone for their advice. By all means, keep it coming.

I realize that my situaton is unlike most others. It sounds like I just need to do it, for the sake of a smooth check in and avoiding a potential problem. We will not be traveling outside of the country anytime in the next five years, but the passport can be a keepsake/souvenir itself.

I'm cheap and didn't want to spend the money unless I really had to.

If anyone has any other information on this topic, I'd be happy to hear.

Have you called the Passport agency. I would try that!

Explain that your DH is deployed and you would like to apply for passports for your minor childred. You may be able to use the DS 3053 , which is a notarized statement for a statement of consent under special circumstances.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds3053/ds3053_846.html

I feel your case may fall under this, due to the fact your DH isn't easily available!

You are the applying parent or guardian, and the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian cannot be obtained

Good Luck!

Well, it's not necessarily easier for me. My husband is currently in Afghanistan so if I have to get the passports, I need to have his notarized statement since he can't come with us. He's not home until 6/1 and there is no way we'd get them back in time unless it was expedited and we paid A LOT MORE. I see everyone's reasoning for "just getting them" but it's a hassle and I want to make sure I "HAVE" to.

I know that if you are military and near a military installation, they do passports at the installation. I would also ask your husband's unit if he is NG or Reserve as they can sometimes help with these things. The military is great to take care of their own and help with these things. If it is the money the local VFW might also pitch in to help you, as they have funds or take up collections for the families of these deployed active duty. Do not be afraid to ask as they are there to help you and want to help you. They can't if you don't tell them you have a need.

I just want to thank everyone for their advice. By all means, keep it coming.

I realize that my situaton is unlike most others. It sounds like I just need to do it, for the sake of a smooth check in and avoiding a potential problem. We will not be traveling outside of the country anytime in the next five years, but the passport can be a keepsake/souvenir itself.

I'm cheap and didn't want to spend the money unless I really had to.

If anyone has any other information on this topic, I'd be happy to hear.

Believe me, the last thing I wanted to do was write a check for our 5 passports last year, but I bit the bullet and did it anyway. Helped so much for flying in, and leaving from Vancouver for our AK cruise last year. It really does speed things up and very easy to account for.

Good luck with your decision and have a wonderful trip ;)

You have plenty of time to work it out. Everyone should have a passport. Using other methodologies lends itself to a great security hassle. The reason for both parents certification is the rise of parental kidnapping. Of course its not anywhere failsafe but every small hurdle helps.

Your husband probably has access to the internet download or mail. He can fill out the form and in Afghanistan he is probably not too fare from a US Consulate or the Embassy (most units are not forward deployed to remote areas but are in support functions in concert with the US Mission. And even those foward come back to the main support areas. A notary is available at Consular Affairs American Citizens Services (ACS). Also his administrative support unit may have a notary. With the time you have there is no excuse for not getting it done - just the decision of do you want to or not.

I'm on USG assignment in Saudi Arabia and leaving tomorrow for R&R back home - taking family on the LoS 12/20. I had to do new passports for my daughters and it was no problem. Downloaded the form, had it notorized at Consulate and mailed back APO to my wife. BTW the State Department turned the passport around in two weeks after my wife appeared at the Post Office.

If you can get the passports for the kids, do so. BUT they are not required and RCCL does already have that listed on their website FAQ pages:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000SfvIepJhtC7u03ZbgH4j7k3:12hbioe0u?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Cruise+Documents&faqId=2814&faqSubjectId=329&faqType=faq

Whoever you spoke to on the phone doesn't know their own company, much less the government rules. ;)

I'm going to chime in with the recommendation that you get the passports if at all possible. you just never know what might happen. My children's passports recently expired without me realizing it and I was in a tizzy. We received them both back within ONE week of the application date! As it gets closer to the June 2009 deadline, I am quite sure that will not be the case!

It is such a relief to not have to worry about carrying around birth certificates. Remember to write down your passport numbers and put them in several secure places.

Archived