Mexican Riviera: HA Oosterdam, Sapphire Princess, or Carnival Spirit

TillThen

I am taking my 26 year old daughter on her first cruise in Jan 09, and I am considering the three ships listed above that depart from either LA or SD - I live on the West Coast so either port is easy for me to leave from.

The Spirit is an eight day cruise that covers different ports than the other two cruises, and it looks like it will cost about $200 more each, which is not a huge deal. The other two are both 7 days, cover the same ports, and are about the same price.

More importantly though, I was wondering which cruise would be suitable for my daughter? I have been on three cruises, with different lines (RCCL, NCL, Princess) and I'm sure I will enjoy any of those cruises. Most recent was in mid-Nov on the Sapphire, and I was very happy with that cruise. In other words, which cruise, in your opinion, would a young lady enjoy?

Thanks

Carnival is known as the fun ships but it really depends on what your daughter likes to do.....party?? It would be considered a 3 star. Princess a 4 and Hal a 5.

We have been on the Oosterdam and it is a beautiful ship with a wonderful spa area. Lots to do and the cruise director was great! We did not find it overly busy with old people which people tend to associate HAL with, it actually had a nice mixture of all ages.

We have done it on all three. If you want to bore her to death, go on HAL. If you want to be driven nuts with noise and party animals, go on Carnival. Best advice from this old -timer? Sapphire in a heartbeat.

I 100% agree with the quote above.HAL is BOOORING, Carnival is a little too much like mardi gras - Princess is JUST RIGHT! Sapphire is a terrific ship and Princess it the best of all worlds in my opinion.

There is also the Nor. Star - I see it's price is comparable? How does it rate compared to the others? My daughter is not a partier as such - eg I imagie she will go to Skywalkers one or two nights (maybe) but I can see her more in Club Fusion or someplace like that.

There is also the Nor. Star - I see it's price is comparable? How does it rate compared to the others? My daughter is not a partier as such - eg I imagie she will go to Skywalkers one or two nights (maybe) but I can see her more in Club Fusion or someplace like that.

I was on Now. Spirit my first cruise and I got off the ship swearing, "NEVER AGAIN" then dh talked me into the Diamond Princess (sister ship to Sapphire) on the Mex Riv and I was HOOKED.

My vote would be for the Sapphire

Sapphire. Oosterdam is nice, but just too old of a crowd. The only thing I like better about taking the Spirit is I love that 8 day itinearary and the different ports.

I keep on looking at that and think*ohh* but DH wants to get to elite with Princess...

Great question - The answer is .. what do you like to do on your cruise and what does your 26 yr old like to do on a cruise (vacation). My DW and I were on the Star a few years ago and really loved it. Two years ago we did the Ooosterdam with our two kids (7 and 9 at the time) for my parents 50th and we were a party of 19 and loved it. Why? We did what we love to do on a crusie. The difference was on HAL the crowd was older and less likely to be up late. We love to get involved in many activities onboard from Trivia games each morning to Name that tune games late at night. On HAL we also found people to play with although less people than on Princess. It is impossible to bored on a Cruise Ship. HAL passengers were just as fun as the Princess passengers, yes on HAL you have to maneuver around the wheelchair/airtanks more than Princess. The HAL cruise was less noisy but not less active (maybe less active people). Good Luck, I do not think you can go wrong with any of the 3.

We have cruised on all three ships. Living in CA it is very easy to get a 7 day cruise to the three main ports of Cabo, Mazatlan, and PV, but not many go further south like the Spirit does to Acapulco, Manzanillo, and Z/Ixtapa - and for 8 days! We enjoyed our cruises on all three ships, but Princess is our favorite. Having said that, we're cruising Christmas week again on the Spirit because it goes further south and is an 8 day cruise.

Archived