Possible newbie around the horn

Photogirl

I have been given the chance to book on the Jan 22nd Pride cruise from Valpo to Buenos Aires. The one catch for the lovely rate is that it is a "best available suite" booking. I have always been on Celebrity in a Sky Suite in the stern of the ship. My big worry is that I might end up in Suite 100 or 101 on this cruise. I have never been seasick, but the thought of rounding Cape Horn in the most forward cabin on a comparitively small ship is a a little scary to me.

Also, I am a wildlife photographer and was wondering if anyone has previously taken this cruise can tell me what the best excursions might be for a photographer.

Thanks

On a small ship such as this there will be a little more motion than you may be used to, and that motion is felt everywhere. IMO the difference between fore, aft, and midship is really not that huge.

Actually 100 and 101 are nice (except when anchor is let down when it can be noisy. With little exception all cabins are pretty much the same and all are nice. Go for the guarantee and you will get a nice cabin, rest assured.

As an aside you will probably spend very little time in your cabin. You will tend to spend more time in the public areas than on a more mass market line (even upscale lines like A and SS). The whole ship is so nice, and the people so casual and unobtrusive that you will not feel the need to retreat to your cabin for peace and quiet.

See you all on the Legend in Feb...

SP

GrannyLoor did an extensive report on the '08 Pride circumnavigation.

Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=682507

Searching the BB will turn up other reports. I was on the same trip but didn't get off much and missed the bouncy waters from Ushuaia to BA because I did a land trip for the sea days.

GrannyLorr is returning to Oz after a Danube cruise, but she should be back online soon and I am sure you can ask her questions. Many cruisers have sailed this itinerary and loved it.

On any ship when you go around the horn you do take the chance that you might have rough seas. And, yes the more forward you are on the ship you will feel the choppy seas even more. So, the key is to prepare for this. I would bring along some remedies from say Bonine to possibly even the patch which can be prescribed by your doctor.

We did this sailing on the Pride in 2005 and have also sailed this on Crystal.

Some tours to consider;

In Punta Arenas you can take the tour out to Otway Bay where you will view the Penguins. It's a beautiful setting for pictures.

In Ushuaia, a couple of tours to consider is the Catamaran on the Beagle Channel where you can get nice pictures of wildlife and other scenry or an excursion that is the trek

at theTierra Major Valley Natural Reserve.

Buenos Aires. In addition to taking a highlights tour of the city, consider going to a Tango show in the evening. The show features wonderful dancers, musicians and singers.

Keith

One of the best excursions we did as far as wildlife is concerned was the Ballestas Islands in Peru...loads of birds and seals. The Penguin excursion is far too short if you are serious about photography. By the time you walk to where the penguins are, then allow the same time to walk back to the bus, you are left with about 20 minutes for photography...no where near enough. I spoke to Carol the tour person on The Pride about it, and suggested they do the short trip for those who just want a quick look and a longer tour for those who really want to SEE the penguins properly! Otherwise I would suggest a private tour so you can spend as long as you like.....

If the seas are too rough the ship wont be taken around The Horn...we didnt get around...I called the Captain a chicken!! I was ready to go! :D

<a href=IMG_7829a.sized.jpg' alt='IMG_7829a.size

Archived