Non-Potty Trained pool areas....only Carnival and Disney?

castoral

We are planning to go on our first cruise in August 2010 (yes, we're planners) and I'd like to have all my information straight to we can book as soon as they release the cruise dates. Anyway, at that time we'll have a 1 yr old and a 3 yr old. I honestly can't imagine going on a cruise and not being able to swim with both my kids, or maybe I should say, keeping them out of the pools. My 3 year old will hopefully be potty trained but the 1 yr old obviously won't be. So from what I've read, Carnival and Disney seem to be the only ones that have seperate toddler swim areas for kids that aren't potty trained. Is this right?

We're leaning towards these ships if it helps - Carnival's Conquest- and Splendor-class ships (Carnival Conquest, Glory, Valor, Liberty, Freedom and Splendor) OR Disney's Disney Magic and Disney Wonder.

Oh yeah, and any idea on when the summer 2010 cruises will go on sale. I've heard the best prices and best rooms go at the beginning, so I don't want to miss that. We'll be on kind of a tight budget but I'd like to opt for a balcony if I can!

Nope, not right. It's Disney and Royal Caribbean. ;)

Carnival doesn't have a toddler area for swim diapers.

And the ships for Royal Caribbean with this option is Enchantment of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Independence of the Seas and the upcoming Oasis of the Seas (sets sail 12/2009) and Allure of the Seas (not built yet)

Some areas aren't really "pools", but "splash zones"--check it out if that's important!

Actually none of them are pools. Doesn't matter the ship.

On Disney Wonder/Magic it's a splash area (just some spraying water, about 1 inch deep)

On RCCL Freedom class, it's a splash area, less than 6 inches of water.

On RCCL Oasis class - judging by the photos, they *may* have added a slide to that area. :)

No pools for infants.

Wow! I'm glad you corrected me on that! I'm trying to look back on where I got that information, but I'm glad you corrected me. But now I'm kind of upset to hear that they aren't even wadding pools, but more of a place to just get wet. I'm not sure how our new baby will be, but if it's anything like my son, he wanted to live in the pool since he knew it existed at 11 months! Haha! And he would have had nothing to do with a duck or play pool after 9 months or so since we was walking.

Anyway, I guess a splash area is still better than nothing, and maybe we'll lean towards the Disney cruise so they can at least "swim" in the bathtub! Haha!

PS - Do you happen to know when they release the dates for 2010 cruises? I've heard that the best rooms and prices are available right when they go on sale. We'll be on a tight budget, but I'm hoping if we get in early enough, we can get a balcony for the right price! Great for nap times!

Okay, I found it. It was an articel on this site called, "Cruising with Babies." It states for Royal Carribean:

Buyer Beware: Children who are not potty-trained are not allowed to play in the Adventure Ocean playrooms -- even with a parent -- neither are they allowed to swim in the ship's pools, with or without swim diapers.

Here is the link: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=628

I could just be reading this wrong, and it means for the actual pools no kids in diapers is allowed, but it should have a caveat (sp?) that there is a kids spray ground or splash pool area where they are allowed!

Okay, I found it. It was an articel on this site called, "Cruising with Babies." It states for Royal Carribean:

Buyer Beware: Children who are not potty-trained are not allowed to play in the Adventure Ocean playrooms -- even with a parent -- neither are they allowed to swim in the ship's pools, with or without swim diapers.

Yeah well they were wrong when they wrote it. ;) They should read their own family board...lol.

Oasis of the Seas bookings are already open for August 2010. Some others will follow April 09.

It's not THAT bad. I can show you the different areas. I have the pictures from each class of ship.

Starting with Disney....

Disney Wonder and now Disney Magic both have these water areas for infants/toddlers next to the Mickey Pool.

191.jpg

For Royal Caribbean Freedom Class (Freedom, Liberty, Independence of the Seas),the area is called the Baby Zone and it looks like this...

FOScopy.jpg

Royal Carribean Enchantment of the Seas infant splash pictures are here....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=685062

And the Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas

http://www.oasisoftheseas.com

It's my understanding that the newly updated waterworks areas on some Carnival ships have this splash zone as well.

If you find info to verify that, PLEASE let me know. :D

I know that people can say "Oh they let my kids wear diapers and run through the water"...that is not the same as saying it is officially allowed. ;)

And as of right now, Carnival's own web site says diapers are still prohibited.

ok I am confused!!! How do you know you will have a one year old in August 2010?????? :rolleyes:LPT

If she is newly pregnant. Newly as in JUST found out and saw two blue lines...lol...then you could have a baby with an August 18, 2009 due date. So in August 2010, you would have a 1 year old. ;)

We're just back from the Sapphire Princess and were surpised to find that they had a kiddie pool. (don't remember seeing that on here anywhere, but I probably just missed it!). It's in the "Fun Zone" area for the kids/parents and is only a foot deep (and about the size of a jacuzzi) but had a slide. My 1 year old LOVED it! Is covered, so it's out of the sun for the most part too.

They also had some areas off the two pools on the Lido deck that were splash areas that kids could go in. On the 2nd day, though, I noticed several small children - obviously not potty trained - in the pool, so we did take our son in there a couple of times and nobody said anything. that being said, the pools are quite deep (i could not touch the bottom), so it was not really conducive to having a 30 pound toddler in your arms. Was seriously testing my treading water skills! :eek:

I would say if this is REALLY important to you, that you get one that definitely has a true kiddie pool, but realize that you may be able to get in the pool anyway (or you can bring one of the blow up pools folks have talked about previously). My last comment is that I don't think we really would have missed the pool at all. There's so much to do (mostly running around, pressing elevators, going up/down stairs), that you don't really need the pool.

Here's the little spash area. Truth be told, my son loved this area the best when we were at sea. The rocking of the ship made the water go back and forth and he thought that was hysterical! Kiddie pool (previous post) was better in port, although they are closed during various times of the day which often was when we wanted to go there.

1484709990_CopyofIMG_0038.jpg.62bf39c936560fe69f49e3518216445b.jpg

1247973930_CopyofIMG_0037.jpg.c1b007f2d783f4fe858bff6b3c13c31a.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg.c7037e66ee368994a1e2051e1c59b1cd.jpg

We're just back from the Sapphire Princess and were surpised to find that they had a kiddie pool. (don't remember seeing that on here anywhere, but I probably just missed it!).

No, I am guessing you didn't see it here because we can never find any info from Princess that it exists...lol. ;)

Do you happen to have a picture of the sign in this area saying that kids IN diapers can go in this pool? Or maybe a copy of the Patters that says it?

We would be happy to add in another ship to our lists of those that allow infants in the pool. :D Thanks!

On our first cruise, since there were so many children on board, a portable small pool was set up on the starboard side of the ship near the Hamburger stand which had a sign: "For Infants Only".

This is from a thread on the HAL board that I just read...I posted a reply asking more questions, I have never heard such. Anyone else heard of this?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=887702

Archived