Malcolm Burn

Ltrain4775

I don't know how many Malcolms there are as CDs, but we had a Malcolm on our 5/07 Victory cruise. He was so much fun, I loved him. Every morning when he gave the announcements he was so excited and it instilled excitement in the passengers as well. He was a riot during the newlywed game, too.

Most dont agree with me but I did a Victory cruise with him and he is absolutely the most annoying CD I have come across on my cruises...

He's was not funny but he thought he was..:rolleyes:

And everytime he would yell out woohoo i wanted to slap him silly!

There were 4 in my group and we all had similar opinions about him...

He likes to hear himself talk on the PA system...

And now you just burst my glee about my Miracle cruise in May... Are you saying he will be the CD?? I may have to rethink this...!!!

My opinion!

We were not impressed with Malcolm on our Victory cruise last month. But he sure was impressed with himself.

Very few activities; announcements late or nonexistent.

We were not impressed with Malcolm on our Victory cruise last month. But he sure was impressed with himself.

Very few activities; announcements late or nonexistent.

oh thank you!He would not shut up on our cruise... I am seriously considering canceling and rebooking something else

I have to speak with my husband -he will probably want to rebook...

This is always a difficult question...because no Cruise Director is going to "gel" with every cruiser.

John Heald is probably the "most loved" CD ever at Carnival and yet there are folks who did not care for him.

That's life.

We sailed with Malcolm on the Victory Sept 29, 2007. It was a 7 day cruise that went to Canada.

While he was not as visible as other CDs we have had...he handled the special needs of our son with Autism perfectly. Which (understandably) is our priority. The times we emailed him, he responded quickly. He truly went the extra mile where our son was concerned. The times we spoke with him on the ship, he was charming and top of things.

I don't remember any annoying announcements...just the usual.

I don't go to the Welcome Aboard Shows (or any of the shows for that matter)....since I live in karaoke...so I can not attest to his stage presense.

But we found him gracious and accomodating with our special needs son...so of course, we were happy!

If I remember correctly, this is the same CD we had on our last cruise 2 years ago. He had my stomach hurting from laughing at him so much. He is a easy person to talk to when you see him around the ship. I'm sure you will enjoy his service.

It was him on the victory now that im thinking about it. I thought he was a lil corney but he was funny 2 years ago. :cool:

We've sailed with Malcolm three times, once on Conquest as ACD and twice on Victory as CD (and unless he's on vacation, it looks like we'll sail with him a fourth time on Miracle in July). I thought he was fine - we don't go to many shows, but I enjoyed his appearances when I saw him on stage. I didn't think his announcements were too intrusive, although I tend to tune out most of the announcements except the captain's noontime update. I also had a chance to talk to him briefly at the past guest party on our last cruise and he came across as a nice guy who enjoys his job.

oh thank you!He would not shut up on our cruise... I am seriously considering canceling and rebooking something else

I have to speak with my husband -he will probably want to rebook...

We had problems with our cabin on our last cruise....it was above a lounge......Pursor's Desk did what they could.....the gentleman who helped us was admonished by Malcolm for being on his 'turf'..........

I had to seek out Malcolm....he did not contact us.........

Malcolm said the music played according to the time listed in the Capers...found out from the pursor's desk....Malcolm writes the Capers...so he can list whatever time he chooses...........

Whomever we spoke to on the staff.....they would only roll their eyes and say they weren't surprised when I mentioned Malcolms' doings.......

We wrote to Guest Relations about our dealings with him...........

I hope he is not the CD on the Miracle when we are on it.....we had to listen to him drone on for 3 cruises......

We had problems with our cabin on our last cruise....it was above a lounge......Pursor's Desk did what they could.....the gentleman who helped us was admonished by Malcolm for being on his 'turf'..........

I had to seek out Malcolm....he did not contact us.........

Malcolm said the music played according to the time listed in the Capers...found out from the pursor's desk....Malcolm writes the Capers...so he can list whatever time he chooses...........

Whomever we spoke to on the staff.....they would only roll their eyes and say they weren't surprised when I mentioned Malcolms' doings.......

We wrote to Guest Relations about our dealings with him...........

I hope he is not the CD on the Miracle when we are on it.....we had to listen to him drone on for 3 cruises......

UGH

I cannot reschedule or chose another ship because we are going with two other couples...

I wrote to John Heald...

For me.. this puts a big damper on my cruise in May...

This guy should NOT be a cd....

:)

If this Malcolm is the one that sailed on the triumph 4 or 5 years ago my wife and I thought he was GREAT. The one I’m thinking of was a tall African American and referred to himself as Malcolm in the Middle. I too am sailing on the Miracle in March and now that I know this I DO hope it is the same CD

Kevin

If this Malcolm is the one that sailed on the triumph 4 or 5 years ago my wife and I thought he was GREAT. The one I’m thinking of was a tall African American and referred to himself as Malcolm in the Middle. I too am sailing on the Miracle in March and now that I know this I DO hope it is the same CD

Kevin

He's the one.

UGH

I cannot reschedule or chose another ship because we are going with two other couples...

I wrote to John Heald...

For me.. this puts a big damper on my cruise in May...

This guy should NOT be a cd....

:)

Can a CD really ruin your vacation?

What will writing to John Heald do? Change the schedule?

I am sorry you are disappointed - sure, I recognize that some CDs are better than others, but there has not been one cruise that I did not appreciate thier effort and hard work.

Maybe you will be lucky and it will be his vacation week.....

Catrin

To the OP:

As you can see....you will get as many individual answers as there are individuals.

No CD is going to "gel" with every passenger....that is not humanly possible.

As if there are "issues" on a cruise that are not resolved to the cruiser's liking, the CD is the one that will be blamed for not handling it correctly.

As for writing to John....if it is an unreasonable request (like depriving an entire cruise of music every night for a few people)...it will go in the "You can't make this stuff up" file for a future book!

If it is reasonable request where a CD can improve...then John will discuss it with them. By no means will a CD be pulled or a schedule be changed for that reason.

I am sorry you are disappointed - sure, I recognize that some CDs are better than others, but there has not been one cruise that I did not appreciate thier effort and hard work.

Catrin

We had very little encounter with him and his Woo woo's on our first 2 cruises......it was when we had a problem, we found, first hand about his attitude and personality........(don't tell me you have to go along with the time schedule in the Capers and not tell me that you are the one who sets up the time schedule for the Capers...) and how is he seen by his fellow shipmates.....it was certainly an eye opener

I hope we will be able to ignore him again in July....

As you can see....you will get as many individual answers as there are individuals.

A very good point - Karen and I were even on the same cruise and came away with different views. We also met him under very different circumstances.

Karen - Are you getting ice down your way this morning?

Catrin

Yea it can.. if he does not shut up and constantly blasts his ridiculous rants on the PA.. yes it will ruin my cruise..

Hes Obnoxious.. and writing to John- wont do anything but at least he will know this guy needs to be retrained but I also wanted to confirm if indeed he is the CD In May as the list only goes to April.

To me the best CD is the one i dont remember...:rolleyes:

I am paying a lot of money for this cruise (NYC) and its my choice as to whether to proceed or not...

Has anyone sailed with the CD Malcolm Burn? Is he a good cruise director and make everything upbeat? He will be on the Miracle in March when I go according to John'a new list on his blog.

Yes, we sailed with him on the Conquest two years ago (almost three). We liked him very much. His favorite saying: WooHoo. Very likeable guy and funny.

Archived