Cosol Tour (St. Lucia) & Taxi Question

jenbri

Ok so if you were going to do a customized tour, which place would you go to and which ones would you drop and why? For instance I am not interested in the Governor's House and I would like to spend at least 1 1/2 - 2 hours at the beach. What is Morne's Fortune? What was Marigot Bay like? What is Anse La Ray and Canaries? What about Soufriere, and the Botanical Gardens? I am trying to figure out what points of interest we can forgo in favor of more time at the beach>

Thank you very much for your input.

Annieeee

We went on a Cosol tour in December. We were on the only ship in port, so we just had one van. Cosol was an excellent guide and the tour was fantastic -- quite honestly the best cruise excursion I have EVER been on. From great scenery to local food to waterfalls and beaches, you'll see and experience it all.

Matt

We went with Cosol last week and would totally agree with this post. St. Lucia is BEAUTIFUL. Our son almost decided not to go with us that day and sleep in and he said he is so glad he didn't - best tour we did. Great way to see the island. The beach is paradise.

Enjoy!

I have to say that I agree with everyone else, that this trip is well worth the money. It is a full day and you see and do so much. We took this tour 2 yrs. ago after reading such good things about it here on the boards.

We'll be in St. Lucia again this April, but will look for something different to do this time. Although the tour was interesting and enjoyable it is not something I would do all over again.

Enjoy!!

We went on a Cosol tour in December. We were on the only ship in port, so we just had one van. Cosol was an excellent guide and the tour was fantastic -- quite honestly the best cruise excursion I have EVER been on. From great scenery to local food to waterfalls and beaches, you'll see and experience it all.

There are certainly enough reviews out there that you can find out what the tour consists of. I'll just post a quick list of suggestions if you're considering this tour:

1. TAKE SNORKEL GEAR! Snorkeling at the beach between the Pitons was incredible, not to mention the beach itself. We were even able to snorkel in a school of color-changing caribbean reef squid (similar to cuttlefish).

2. TAKE A CAMERA! You will be stunned by the beauty of St. Lucia.

3. TRY THE RUM PUNCH! It's strong and good -- with the unique taste of fruits and spices.

4. TAKE THIS TOUR! Run, don't walk!

Thanks, Cosol!

Matt

We second this! We had Baptiste for our guide and it was an amazing day, loved every minute! Nancie

Castries, St. Lucia

We prebooked COSOL Tours "Island Tour" at $50 per person plus tip. They picked us up at 8:30am and brought us back to the ship sometime after 2:30pm. What an exhaustive tour (and I mean this in a positive way). We toured most of the island's top sites and stopped for lots of local bites along the way, sampling bananas, mango, papaya, sugar cane, coconut, and lots more. Cold drinks were included (COSOL rum punch, Cokes made with sugar, water, and Piton beer --- a nice light lager. We visited a banana plantation, the Tourielle Waterfall and botanical garden, volcano (sulphur springs), a couple of fishing villages, spent beach time snorkeling at the Hilton Jalousie Beach Hotel whose beach spans between the Twin Pitons, and later overlooked Marigot Bay (where the original Dr. Doolittle filmed). There was plenty of time for shopping at the end of the tour. All of the entrance fees were included. Recommended! Hint: there is a lot of driving along mountain curves with drops and climbs in elevation. If you are prone to motion sickness, sit up front.

Here are more of our Secrets of the Caribbean!

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

These are our very detailed personal reviews, hints, and tips for ports of call that you will be visiting.

I was quoted $65, which seems like a lot per person, but I'm seeing some who have gone very recently, it appears, for as little as $50?

His email said we would either go to the beach with the black sand, of take the water taxi and snorkel.

I emailed him back and said we don't have snorkel equipment, and Carnival no longer rents it on the ship.

We're going to be hard-pressed to pack enough clothing for a 7-day, 6 port cruise with 1 night in San Juan pre-cruise and 2 nights post-cruise! Even if I had snorkel equipment, I don't think I'd want to have to take a 2nd suitcase (and pay that fee) just to lug it to PR and back.

Can anyone tell me if there is any to rent? Or, if you want to snorkel, you must bring your own?

Thanks.

I'm surprised by the price increase. I think I only paid $45 in 07. I wouldn't pay $65, but I don't like sitting in the car most of the day. Yes, the country is beautiful, but you are basically in the car all day. The stops are probably 10 minutes long except for the botanical garden - maybe 20 minutes there and the beach - 45 minutes to an hour. There are snacks throughout the day (not a big lunch or anything), and plenty of drinks. He very clearly has deals with various vendors who will be present at each of your stops to sell you their goods. They aren't overly aggressive but they also aren't passive.

I was quoted $65, which seems like a lot per person, but I'm seeing some who have gone very recently, it appears, for as little as $50?

His email said we would either go to the beach with the black sand, of take the water taxi and snorkel.

I emailed him back and said we don't have snorkel equipment, and Carnival no longer rents it on the ship.

We're going to be hard-pressed to pack enough clothing for a 7-day, 6 port cruise with 1 night in San Juan pre-cruise and 2 nights post-cruise! Even if I had snorkel equipment, I don't think I'd want to have to take a 2nd suitcase (and pay that fee) just to lug it to PR and back.

Can anyone tell me if there is any to rent? Or, if you want to snorkel, you must bring your own?

I'm pretty sure he told us the $65 vs. $50-$55 is to offset the additional cost of the water taxi, which is now necessary to get to Jalousie beach. We went with Cosol in December, and most of the people on our trip paid $65 since they booked after the rate increase. Apparently, we booked just before the price went up (a number of months ago) and got the $55 rate.

The beach is really incredible even if you don't have snorkel equipment. DEFINITELY take the water taxi, especially since it's included in the price -- when you see the beach you'll understand why the extra $10 now included in the ticket price is so worth it.

There was a little place on the beach that appeared to be renting snorkel equipment, but I don't know how cheap it was -- it looked like it was operated by the hotel... You might be able to contact Jalousie Plantation Hotel and ask them about rentals to non-guests (they also have a web site).

My wife and took the tour in November on the first week that Cosol had to use the water taxi to trasport people to the beach because the resport prohibited access across their property to the public beach. Cosol said if the prohibition continued,he would have to raise his prices due to the cost of the water taxies.

I still think the tour would be worth it for $65 due to the sights, food, and drinks.

Concering the comment about stops, we stopped at one of Cosol's relative's for about an hour for lunch and drinks. There was more food and drinks than we could cosume.

Concerning the snorkle rental, before our cruise I purchased a mask and snorkle from a sporting goods store for about $30. I used it on Consol's tour plus one other excursion and two beach days so it more than paid for itself (plus I know who's mouth was on it last). I did not purchase and did not need flippers. Therefore it took up very little room in my luggage.

My wife and I took Cosol's tour Dec. 11th. Price was $65/person, but couldn't really complain about price compared to value. We did take our snorkel gear with us and they took us to beach between the Pitons by water taxi, and was a beautiful beach with a roped off marine reserve area to snorkel in. Was actually really good snorkeling. Don't think you could be disappointed with this tour. St. Lucia was very hilly, and I would definitely not want to drive on that island myself. Day went by fast, and got back to ship in plenty of time. Highly recommend his tour. :)

Thanks for the info. $65 pp is considerably more than any of the island tours at the other ports, but Cosol's lasts longer. I'm sure something similar through the cruiseline would cost much more. Looking at what Carnival has to offer, there are several that are in the $45 range, but they are 3.5-4 hours and go to 2 or 3 sites. Their "land and sea combo to Soufriere" is 6-3/4 hours and costs $89.

Think I'll just plan on relaxing during that portion of the trip and enjoying an adult beverage. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

As I wrote in another post I think this is a GOOD tour although not up to all the absolute great reviews I've read here at cruise critic. We took the Cosol tour on Jan. 7 and were in a van of 10. The van is very comfortable but you are on the road a long while---a very curvy road!! Our driver was okay---not overly talkative and could have done more (he seemed to discourage questions even when several of us tried to draw him out.)

There are lots of included beverages to be had---especially rum punch! Watch out if you get car sick as the roads are really curvy and winding!! Sit next to a window!! The food is plentiful at the 'breakfast' stop and you need to sample the island specialties. Warm bread at lunch is delicious (although eating in the van was a bit strange!) We did have to pay $1.00 for the restroom at the first stop but it was free on the way back.

The view of the Pitons is great from the water taxi. I wish we had had more time at the beach (only 50 minutes for our group although other groups had longer). I swam in the beautiful water the whole time. You can rent snorkel gear as well (several in our group who did snorkel were impressed with the variety of fish and critters they saw.)

I wish it included a longer stay at the beach and that the chairs didn't cost an additional $20!

We went with Cosol on Dec. 25 for $55 but had booked his tour back in Sept. Since he now has to use the water taxis he said he would have to raise his price so those of you that are getting quoted $65 that is why. We saw him 'discussing' the price with the taxi drivers so I know it is a change he didn't want to make. The water taxi ride was still fun and worth it to get to the beach. We think the price is still very fair for all that you see and do.

I completely agree with others that have said that it is a great tour. Did tour begining of Jan 2009 and would say that the longest period of driving was maybe 30-40 minutes. There are so many stops that I am sure that I have forgotten some. Our driver was Bumpy and he was very good. Excellent organization and tour.

One caution - Do take some motion sickness medicine if you have the slightest bit of a problem. Husband has never been motion sick in his life, but did throw up on this tour.

Bumpy immediately moved him to the front of the van, stopped and got him some ginger candy and gave him a lime to sniff - all of which husband said really helped.

Cosol checked on us several times throughout the trip and made sure that he was feeling better.

For customer service, I have to give this tour a 10.

• 2 months later...

We just got back last night from Caribbean Princess cruise. I had checked out Cosol tours online. My husband was hesitant because you can't alway trust what you read on the internet but the tour was great. Our tour guide was the best! Yellow Bird (Cosol's brother) did a great job! He was very informative and very knowledgeable about the island. The thing I appreciated most was that he shielded us from all of the locals who bug you to buy their wares (or just plain ask for money!). The tour was very organized (once we got into the van). Our ship docked right in town and the busy streets made for a little confusion in getting to our vans but once on it was great! Loved the bananas and had never seen exactly how the bananas grow and mature.

As mentioned in other posts, I do recommend taking something for nausea if you think there may be a remote chance of getting sick. The roads are very narrow and there's alot of winding as you drive. I sat right behind Yellow Bird and, with the air conditioning, managed fine.

Loved the local beer and the yummy hot bread and cheese for lunch..... and all is included in the price! Definitely the best tour we did.

Archived