Royal Caribbean Babysitting Questions!

mrsfreelunch

Hi Everyone, I am about to take my first cruise on the Liberty of the Seas! Our two-year old will be with us. I have researched this board to find answers to some of my questions but most of the info I have found has been general. I also called RC customer service directly and got virtually no additional information other than the generic info on their website. So, I'm hoping some of you experienced RC cruisers can help me! Here are things I am wondering about:

1. Is there any type of group babysitting available for a 2 year old? I.e. I drop her off in a room of kiddos in a group situation for a few hours? If so what details can you give me about that? The RC website refers to "group babysitting" but provides no additional details other than the advertised structured programs (Aquatots, etc.)

2. For the private babysitting, the RC rep gave me a different rate than their website. Website says approx $10/hr for 1 or 2 kids. She said $5/hr then changed her story to $8/hr.

3. Is the private babysitting ONLY in your state room? Or can you ask the sitter to take the kiddo to dinner, or take her on deck to walk around, etc?

4. How hard is it to get a babysitter if you don't do it on the first day you board ship?

5. What is the cancellation policy on babysitters? I.e. if I am not sure exactly when I want the sitter, could I make a reservation for a few nights and then cancel several hours beforehand?

progress.gif

This is from RCCI's website

As a vacation for the whole family, Royal Caribbean also provides quiet time for Mom and Dad. That can be during the day, while the kids are at their own Adventure Ocean programs, or at night, while the kids are with babysitters. Babysitting is offered both in a group setting, and individually in your stateroom. In stateroom babysitting must be booked through the Guest Relations Desk (Purser's Desk) at least 24 hours in advance.

It cannot be booked prior to the cruise vacation and there is no guarantee that sitters will be available. The service is offered when personnel is available.

Children MUST be at least 1 year old.

Approximate Rate: $10.00 per hour for one or two children within the same family or $15.00 per hour for three children within the same family.

Times and prices are subject to change without notice. Payment must be made in cash.

Throughout your family vacation, we ask that your children respect the other guests onboard by not playing unsupervised on deck, in the lounges or on the dance floor, especially in the evening.

The group sitting in at night only, from 10pm until 2am. The price is the same as written above.

Others may disagree, but I don't know about taking the child to dinner. Walking around the decks in one thing, but there could be liability issues with a child that young.

If you don't book the first day, chances will be tough getting an in-cabin sitter. You really need to decide what days and then book ASAP.

The above info is a little confusing even for me, and I KNOW that info...lol.

Adventure Ocean is NOT for kids under 3 (and not 100% potty trained)

Adventure Ocean would be considered the "group babysitting"

On Royal Caribbean cruise ships, you can get an in-cabin sitter for $12/hour. The child must be 1 year or older. It is on a first come first serve basis. It is best to reserve the times you need as soon as you board.

The info (posted above in Kitty's post) for group babysitting at night is for 3 and older ONLY. There is NO group sitting for those under 3.

So for a 2 year old - your only option would be in cabin sitting. Yes, they will take the child for a walk around the ship...take them to Windjammer, etc (if you give permission for them to do so) Someone just posted a great review with those details...it's here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=885935

Cancellation policy, I have no idea.

I think you should read my review called "In-Stateroom" babysitting (I had them last week)... I think you should know your times before you sign up and if your plans change you should still pay the babysitter. Once again it is not the company you are paying it's the people who signup to do this on the side for extra money. There for if they block the time out to babysit for you then you cancel, that is not fair to them to lose out and not be reassigned. IMHO.

Please feel to ask me anything if you do not find all you answers in my review.

Kim

Thanks everyone. Helpmenew, I found your post shortly after my post. It was extremely helpful. I think I am going to do as some have suggested - figure out ahead of time what nights we want a babysitter and type it up, so I'll be ready to hand it over upon embarkment.

Thanks everyone. Helpmenew, I found your post shortly after my post. It was extremely helpful. I think I am going to do as some have suggested - figure out ahead of time what nights we want a babysitter and type it up, so I'll be ready to hand it over upon embarkment.

Sounds good... I would highly recommend 2 or 3 hours of babysitting during an at sea day, not sure how many sea days you have but we had 3 and it was nice to have a couple of hours in the afternoon ... to use the hot tub and other things like look at the photos with out having to chase anyone around.

I just want to share my experience. I tried to book in room babysitting on my cruise on the Explorer in November. I tried for all different nights......I tried as soon as I boarded the ship. I was told they would "try".....but in the end I was told that they could not find any sitters for this cruise. Appparently they were changing shifts and all sitters were busy working the night shift. I wanted you to know that there is no guarantee that a sitter will be available.

Brenda - that's a great point! It isn't a guarantee.

With the intoduction of Oasis of the Seas and the baby nursery in Dec 2009, maybe in cabin sitting will be a thing of the past on RCI? Maybe if it works on Oasis, they will expland it fleetwide?

Would be a nice addition. :D

Guess we'll see.

Brenda - that's a great point! It isn't a guarantee.

With the intoduction of Oasis of the Seas and the baby nursery in Dec 2009, maybe in cabin sitting will be a thing of the past on RCI? Maybe if it works on Oasis, they will expland it fleetwide?

Would be a nice addition. :D

Guess we'll see.

Cruisinmama,

this is a first time I here about baby nursery on Oasis. Can you give more info or point to the thread where it is? Thank you in adavance!

Cruisinmama,

this is a first time I here about baby nursery on Oasis. Can you give more info or point to the thread where it is? Thank you in adavance!

Yep, no problem. Royal caribbean is creating a nursery on Oasis called "Royal Babies and Tots". It is located on Deck 14 next to Adventure Ocean. When they first revealed it, they said that they were still working out the details as far as cost (if there would be one or not).

This option will be for babies 6 months to toddlers (2 year olds)

The video for the entire new Youth Zone is here...

http://www.oasisoftheseas.com/YouthZone.php

The new deck plans for that area is here...

Oasis_Deck_Planscopy.jpg[url=http://www.oasisoftheseas.com/YouthZone.php][/url]

Yep, no problem. Royal caribbean is creating a nursery on Oasis called "Royal Babies and Tots". It is located on Deck 14 next to Adventure Ocean. When they first revealed it, they said that they were still working out the details as far as cost (if there would be one or not).

This option will be for babies 6 months to toddlers (2 year olds)

The video for the entire new Youth Zone is here...

http://www.oasisoftheseas.com/YouthZone.php

They only thing that is nice about having the babysitter is that your child may not get sick on vacation… with those playgroup toddlers are always putting the toys in their mouths. So with the Royal babies’ playgroup last week I didn’t let her go with the babysitters until the end of the week. That way if she got sick at last it would not be until the end of vacation. I walked with the babysitter one night to the group and all the toys looked very clean but I had ask if they had seen anyone with a runny nose and they said “YES”. So I like having the babysitter as an option:D.

They only thing that is nice about having the babysitter is that your child may not get sick on vacation… with those playgroup toddlers are always putting the toys in their mouths. So with the Royal babies’ playgroup last week I didn’t let her go with the babysitters until the end of the week. That way if she got sick at last it would not be until the end of vacation. I walked with the babysitter one night to the group and all the toys looked very clean but I had ask if they had seen anyone with a runny nose and they said “YES”. So I like having the babysitter as an option:D.

That's great in theory....lol....but reality is a little more unexpected. ;)

When my youngest was 8 months old on Disney Magic, she never stepped foot into the nursery. And she never went to any baby play groups. She spent the entire cruise with me and my family. She still picked up a virus and needed to be medevacced from the ship by Day 6.

I am a self proclaimed germaphobe who refused to allow my baby into that icky nursery...lol...well the best laid plans don't always work out. ;)

I just want to share my experience. I tried to book in room babysitting on my cruise on the Explorer in November. I tried for all different nights......I tried as soon as I boarded the ship. I was told they would "try".....but in the end I was told that they could not find any sitters for this cruise. Appparently they were changing shifts and all sitters were busy working the night shift. I wanted you to know that there is no guarantee that a sitter will be available.

If we don't get a sitter we will not be upset... we will have grandparents and aunts/uncles there to help out as well. Just thought it would be nice if we can all dine together on formal night without a two year old. Hopefully it will work out!

• 2 years later...

Hi there,

We are booked to go on a Transatlantic cruise on the Navigator of the seas in november with our 2 1/2 year old and although I've read though the above posts someone on another forum thread said this might have changed... can anyone confirm that they STILL have the babysitting service onboard the RCC Ships?

Thank you! :p

Stefi.

Hi there,

We are booked to go on a Transatlantic cruise on the Navigator of the seas in november with our 2 1/2 year old and although I've read though the above posts someone on another forum thread said this might have changed... can anyone confirm that they STILL have the babysitting service onboard the RCC Ships?

Thank you! :p

Stefi.

Just off the Oasis last week and in cabin babysitting was available for $19 an hour billed to seapass only -no cash payment. They send two sitters which is apparently the current company policy. We got sitters one night but they were not available another night.

Just off the Oasis last week and in cabin babysitting was available for $19 an hour billed to seapass only -no cash payment. They send two sitters which is apparently the current company policy. We got sitters one night but they were not available another night.

Thank you for your reply! :) x

Archived