Can I make the flight?

We've done it twice in San Juan and once in Miami. Flights were at 11:30am. We can usually get to the airport by 8:30-9:00 am. All times we used the luggage valet service so we already had our boarding passes and we didn't have to haul our own luggage around. We also do not used RCI transportation. We just get a cab on our own to the airport.

The Fort Lauderdale airport is very close to the Port Everglades Cruise Terminal so, unless you encounter unusual delays in disembarking from your ship, you should have no problem making an 11:30 flight with a couple of hours to spare. However, you should always have a back up plan in case the unforeseeable happens.:)

You should be able to make that flight just fine UNLESS you are traveling over a holiday. We returned from our cruse out of Port Everglades at the end of President's Week, February 2007 (which I didn't think was a big enough travel holiday to create the airport mess that it did, but it did!). We had a 1 p.m. flight, yes 1 p.m. and had no worries until we got to the airport and the line was so bad that it stretched outside and all along the Departures curb. Attendants were plunking people from the lines if they had flights departing during certain timeframes...we got lucky and they pulled us from the back of the line at 11 a.m. We made it through security, and to our gate just fine. That wouldn't have happened if they hadn't pulled us out of line.

Also, we did not do self-disembarkation. I am a big believer in that program and highly recommend it if you have any concerns at all. We could have gotten off that ship closer to 8 a.m. if we had self-disembarked, but we just weren't worried about making a 1 p.m. flight.

We did self disembarkation in FLL and made it to the airport in plenty of time for a 10:40 flight. I was worried it was a little tight timewise, but the next few flights were not non-stop and were considerably more expensive. Unless something delays your ship, you will be fine.

Archived