New to NCL.. What are the Negitives of paying cruise off early ?

mr jailerman

You could pay off your cruise in full, but you lose the interest on those funds if you saved them, or the return if you invested them, or (most critical to me) the ability to use those funds for something else if there is a compelling need.

Not having the money available to you is a legitimate concern, but even at 3% savings interest, a $3000 balance would only result in $7.50 a month.

That has not been my experience and according to NCL and my TA. It is company policy, as opposed to most other lines that there will be NO price adjustment or credit once final payment has been made. they MAY upgrade you if the price of your category has dropped, but no guarantee there either.

I just got a $224 credit posted to my credit card from NCL and I paid my cruise off on Dec. 2. I know they are going to refund the fuel surcharge, but I thought it would be a OBC, not a refund to my credit card. I also received a $200 price drop on the day I paid off the cruise. :D

You won't be losing that much interest. I give more to the guys who take my luggage at the pier than the interest you would earn in a year on the price of a cruise.

A years worth of interest would be some tip to the stevedore, but for the period of time between the final payment and the cruise, you're talking about $20.

Nita, do you know the answer to the question I posted above (#23) regarding whether Compass certificates submitted after the cruise is paid-in-full results in a refund from NCL?

Not having the money available to you is a legitimate concern, but even at 3% savings interest, a $3000 balance would only result in $7.50 a month.

This applies to those who are using funds that would otherwise be in a savings account. Some folks, like me, may be planning to use funds invested in something other than a saving account at a higher rate of return. To us, this is a legitimate concern.

This applies to those who are using funds that would otherwise be in a savings account. Some folks, like me, may be planning to use funds invested in something other than a saving account at a higher rate of return. To us, this is a legitimate concern.

If its invested in something that earns higher than a savings account then chances are it can also decline in value... Then you may not have enough left to pay for the cruise if you wait. :)

A years worth of interest would be some tip to the stevedore, but for the period of time between the final payment and the cruise, you're talking about $20.

Nita, do you know the answer to the question I posted above (#23) regarding whether Compass certificates submitted after the cruise is paid-in-full results in a refund from NCL?

I wish I did but I don't. I am sure someone else will be able to help you..

Nita

We've only cruised once before and for both that last one and our upcoming cruise, we booked it less than 90 days out through a TA so we paid everything at once. Generally speaking, how far out is the final payment usually due?

If I may ask another question, how should the fuel surcharge OBC work? Will I notice anything in my edocs or online at the NCL site or will I only be notified once I board the ship?

Karen

If its invested in something that earns higher than a savings account then chances are it can also decline in value... Then you may not have enough left to pay for the cruise if you wait. :)

And chances are it won't. Those who put their funds in high rate introductory or long term CD's only lose if they take the funds out early. Then there are secure money market accounts that pay a higher rate of interest than savings accounts. Mine is currently paying 5.5%. That still may not sound like a lot of interest, but it's a nice sum if one is considering paying off their cruise 6 months to a year early.

We've only cruised once before and for both that last one and our upcoming cruise, we booked it less than 90 days out through a TA so we paid everything at once. Generally speaking, how far out is the final payment usually due?

If I may ask another question, how should the fuel surcharge OBC work? Will I notice anything in my edocs or online at the NCL site or will I only be notified once I board the ship?

Karen

Generally final payment and/or payment in full is required by NCL 75 days before the cruise or if it is a European itinenary 90 days, I think. I am not for sure of the last part, but I do know there is some instance where payment is due in full 90 days before the cruise.

You should have your FSC credited to your onboard account as an OBC. You should be able to use this for any onboard charges and you will actually be able to see the credit after a day or two of sailing. Usually it takes their finance department a day or two or three to get it to actually show up on your onboard account.

I know this has been discussed before, but it never affected us until now. With NCL shutting down the Compass coupon offer as we knew it, we're due to get three $500 coupons shortly after the new year. We have a final payment due mid January for a cruise in April.

If we get the coupons after final payment, does NCL refund the ($1500) when they receive the coupons, even though the cruise is paid for in-full?

The last 2 times we've used our B of A certs. were after final payment. As our PCC explained to me, as long as the certs. are received and processed prior to sailing date itself, you will get a credit back on your card.

Worked fine both times. Good luck.:)

Thank you Barb.

Two of the coupons came due today with the Dec 15th statement.

Two others won't come due til mid-January.

The bank is pretty efficient when it comes to getting them out in the mail. I always wondered why they couldn't just electronically apply them to an existing reservation. Since the program is kaput as of the 31st, I guess thats moot.

[quote name='vasoccermom']Where did you find your OBC listed? I'm curious to know just how much ours will be...Karen[/QUOTE]

Look on your original booking statement which will show the total price, and perhaps a breakdown of taxes, fuel surcharge etc. You are looking for the fuel surcharge. Depending on when you booked it could be $5 a day up to $11 a day. Multiply this figure by the number of nights on the cruise.

I just read that someone received hers in a credit to her cc statement, but most are expecting OBC. I'm hoping to pay part of my service charge with ours. Service charge is going up from $10 to $12 a day in January.

[quote name='mr jailerman']It was listed on the invoice NCL e-mailed me after they made the adjustment.[/quote]

We booked our trip through a TA and paid in full and since it's an OBC rather than a refund, I can't imagine NCL would go back to the TA at all. That's why I'm curious where I can view my OBC. I seem to be perpetually confused these days:confused:

[quote name='newmexicoNita']Thank is a 110% wrong advise...You can pay in full the minute you book and still get adjustments if prices go down. If it is after final payment is due (75 days prior to sailing) then you can get an upgrade but no price adjustment. It has absolutely nothing to do with when a person makes final payment, only the final payment date...I think this is probably what your travel agent told you and you misunderstood final payment with final payment date.. Or, at least I hope that is what she/he said.

Nita[/quote]

I'm a bit late into this thread, and haven't read all the replies yet, but I can say, from very recent experience, that NCL will give OBC and price adjustments after payment in full is made. This is different from the final payment due date, which is the cut off for getting these OBC's and price adjustments.

This happened a few weeks ago on my Majesty booking. When the OBC sale was going on, I called my PCC and she added the OBC to my current booking and adjusted the price accordingly. In my case, for $200 OBC, the price went up $28 total, so our $0 balance went up to $28 due (by the final payment due date). I asked the PCC if the price went down, how would they adjust and she mentioned they would credit the card you paid off the cruise with...

Happy sails!!

Archived