Bon Voyage Dec. 12 cruisers!

DisneyJen

• 2 weeks later...

DJ,

Thanks for the bon voyage. We were having too much fun to check email. I'll summarize the highlights (in no particular order).

The weather in the Caribbean was perfect, and the very best day of the trip just happened to be the day we were at Jost Van Dyke for the beach party / champagne caviar splash. Fortunately SD1 met up with SD2 earlier in the week at St. Barths and the SD1 crew had the foresight to request that SD2 transfer over all the champagne they could possibly spare. I guess there weren't many champagne drinkers on SD 2 because there were about 30 boxes of champagne stacked up on the deck. The champagne and caviar lasted a good 30 minutes and I think everyone got their fill.

We also had an evening beach bonfire on Peter Island. We left Road Town, Tortola about 1:00 PM and made our way over to Peter Island where we anchored off the Oceans 7 Beach Club. Chairs were set up for lounging, and since the beach is a little small and rocky there is a boardwalk over the water to give more room for seating. I did some snorkeling from the beach, but there were quite a few jelly fish so most of us didn't stay in the water very long. After dinner, SD hired a local band, brought over the bartenders, set up a bonfire, and prepared s'mores -- which completely confused every non-American on the ship.

Top of the Yacht and pool service was great. We stayed on the ship in Anegada and Nevis and were happy with the service. The bartenders were quick to raise umbrellas when more shade was needed and were generally good about keeping our drinks full. Appetizers were served outside most nights, and dinner was served Topside twice during the 9 day cruise. They tried to do it a third night but there were too many flies. Speaking of flies, the spa girls were lined up at the Beach BBQ to fan the flies off the food. It was an interesting but appreciated sight to behold.

When we arrived at Gustavia in the late afternoon the harbor was swarming with ships. SD2 was there along with Wind Spirit and several mega yachts. I was afraid we were going to have to tender a long way in when I saw this congestion, but Captain Berg brought us in closer than all of them right alongside some small yachts and gave us the shortest tender ride we've ever had at St. Barths. We were worried that Hurricane Omar had damaged our favorite beaches -- Governour and Saline. Both look like they have lost some sand, but other than that they did fine. The only lasting damage we saw from Omar is that the wooden boardwalk along Gustavia harbor between the mega-yachts and the expensive cafe is washed away. You have to walk in the street instead.

The surprise port was Saba. We were very impressed with the clean and picturesque villages nestled among the steep slopes of the mountains. We also had a nice treat when the magnificent modern and sinister looking sailing yacht S/Y Maltese Falcon (featured on 60 minutes a few years ago) pulled in next to us for about 30 minutes. It is an amazing vessel.

http://www.symaltesefalcon.com/index2.asp

The new (for us) onboard registration process was very quick.

There were a few little nitpicks that I hope were one time problems. They started using a new buttermilk pancake recipe the second day of the cruise. I like the old recipe much better. With coffee service (early-riser, topside, and dining room) Splenda sweetener was available most times only by special request. Cream (instead of milk) was only available by special request as well. Instead of requesting sweetener and cream it was easier to request caffe lattes and capuccinos. On several nights items that are not "finger foods" -- like meatballs -- were served during cocktail hour without toothpicks or utensils. Like I said, minor nitpicks but noticeable enough to be slightly annoying at the time.

All in all the trip was about 98% perfect, and that's good enough since the going charter rate for the S/Y Maltese Falcon is 350,000 euros per week (about $487K with current exchange rate) and that is much more than I can afford in search of absolute perfection.

Welcome back Stebul!!

Thanks so much for the review. It does sound like you had a wonderful (as always) time on SD1! We really enjoyed sailing with Capt. Berg last March ... and of course we can't wait to sail again with Capt. T in some 70 days!!

Glad that your trip was pretty close to perfect. Interesting observations ... especially on the lack of utensils.

The bonfire on Peter Island sounds divine!! I chuckled about the s'mores. Guess they are an American delicacy:p

How were the seas?

DJ,

Thanks for the bon voyage. We were having too much fun to check email. I'll summarize the highlights (in no particular order). . . .

Fortunately SD1 met up with SD2 earlier in the week at St. Barths and the SD1 crew had the foresight to request that SD2 transfer over all the champagne they could possibly spare. I guess there weren't many champagne drinkers on SD 2 because there were about 30 boxes of champagne stacked up on the deck. The champagne and caviar lasted a good 30 minutes and I think everyone got their fill. . . . .

We also had an evening beach bonfire on Peter Island. We left Road Town, Tortola about 1:00 PM and made our way over to Peter Island where we anchored off the Oceans 7 Beach Club. Chairs were set up for lounging, and since the beach is a little small and rocky there is a boardwalk over the water to give more room for seating. I did some snorkeling from the beach, but there were quite a few jelly fish so most of us didn't stay in the water very long. After dinner, SD hired a local band, brought over the bartenders, set up a bonfire, and prepared s'mores -- which completely confused every non-American on the ship. . . . .

All in all the trip was about 98% perfect ... .

Thank you Stebul -- the review was great and glad you enjoyed 98% perfection.

Glad to hear that SD II keeps plenty of champagne on board. Doubt there will be any kind of transfer on the March 6 SD II (unless it goes from SD I to SD II).

Was the bonfire a planned event or done spur of the moment? I'm always fascinated by the "customization" you can get on a SD cruise.

FT

Bonfire: I was told that the beach bonfire on Peter Island has been done in the past on charters but this was the first time on an open booking cruise. The people who book charters often ask for more group activities than are normally offered, and this is one that SD came up with. SD decided to try it on a regular cruise to gauge customer reaction. All I can say about that is I didn't really hear anyone talking about the bonfire ("It was OK"); lots of people were talking about the beach party/BBQ ("It was great.") The bonfire is definitely NOT a substitute for the beach party.

Seas: A little rough from San Juan to Culebrita. Capt Berg stayed in port in San Juan until 4AM -- and then the rocking started. After that I was fine, but some people felt cruising from the BVI to St. Martin was rough and likewise from St. Barths back to the BVI. Captain Berg said that the seas last season were unusually rough, and several of the crew who were on the ship last spring said the same. Appears to be back to "normal".

Bonfire: I was told that the beach bonfire on Peter Island has been done in the past on charters but this was the first time on an open booking cruise. The people who book charters often ask for more group activities than are normally offered, and this is one that SD came up with. SD decided to try it on a regular cruise to gauge customer reaction. All I can say about that is I didn't really hear anyone talking about the bonfire ("It was OK"); lots of people were talking about the beach party/BBQ ("It was great.") The bonfire is definitely NOT a substitute for the beach party.

Seas: A little rough from San Juan to Culebrita. Capt Berg stayed in port in San Juan until 4AM -- and then the rocking started. After that I was fine, but some people felt cruising from the BVI to St. Martin was rough and likewise from St. Barths back to the BVI. Captain Berg said that the seas last season were unusually rough, and several of the crew who were on the ship last spring said the same. Appears to be back to "normal".

Interesting on the bonfire. I wonder if they would offer both the bonfire and the the beach party. DJ's DH and I just LOVE the beach party. It is the highlight of the cruise!!

So glad to hear Capt. Berg say that the seas are back to normal. Capt. Berg was at the helm for our March cruise last year when we had incredible swells/seas. It was quite an adventure!! But hey we were on SD so all was right with the world:D

Interesting on the bonfire. I wonder if they would offer both the bonfire and the the beach party. DJ's DH and I just LOVE the beach party. It is the highlight of the cruise!!

So glad to hear Capt. Berg say that the seas are back to normal. Capt. Berg was at the helm for our March cruise last year when we had incredible swells/seas. It was quite an adventure!! But hey we were on SD so all was right with the world:D

I'm sure that between you and FT you can get Capt T to provide both in March.

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas to you zqvol and your lovely DW FT:D

DJ's DH is taking DJ's DD over to Animal Kingdom to ride Everest while I enjoy my book on the balcony ... which is sort of like enjoying my book on a Bali Bed except there is no one asking me if I need more Pelligrino or another G and Diet T or if I need my sunglasses cleaned or if I need a spritz ... well you get the picutre:eek: I reminded him to try to see your DD and wish her a Merry Christmas!

Poor Capt T is probably afraid of what else the March 6th cruisers can come up with in terms of request:p

Merry Christmas to you zqvol and your lovely DW FT:D

Poor Capt T is probably afraid of what else the March 6th cruisers can come up with in terms of request:p

I don't think Captain T has any fear . . .but you might be right, our requests could push him over the edge (I don't think he's a big fan of our favorite music). Did you notice that we will be on Jost Van Dyke on Friday the 13th? Only good luck that day. ZQ Vol noted that both SD I and SDII will be departing from San Juan on March 6 and both ships will be in St. Barts on the 10th. so if we need a champagne transfer from SD I or maybe we can have banana boat races:D

Happy New Year and see you on the 2nd.

FT

I don't think Captain T has any fear . . .but you might be right, our requests could push him over the edge (I don't think he's a big fan of our favorite music). Did you notice that we will be on Jost Van Dyke on Friday the 13th? Only good luck that day. ZQ Vol noted that both SD I and SDII will be departing from San Juan on March 6 and both ships will be in St. Barts on the 10th. so if we need a champagne transfer from SD I or maybe we can have banana boat races:D

Happy New Year and see you on the 2nd.

FT

Banana boat races to restock champagne sounds like fun albeit dangerous!

The 13th on Jost is so appropriate for our band of travelers!

Capt T might like a few of our other music choices as I know we both went to a concert by a certain performer (not the cowboy).

Sitting in the airport in Orlando counting the days until we leave for SJU!.

Archived