Ship Tour?

Canuck-Ottawa

Not certain what kind of a ship tour you are talking about on Princess where you pay $15. Is this for the engine room, etc?? HAL doesn't offer anything like that.

HAL has a free ship tour on embarkation day -- time and place to meet is listed in the Daily Program -- where the staff take you around the ship and show you where the restaurants are, spa, pools, various lounges, art gallery, etc.

It is a new offering on Princess (not yet fleetwide).

It includes the bridge, galley, print shop, engine control room, backstage of the theater, into the funnel (?!?), and I'm not sure what else if any.

It is $150.00 as noted by the OP, not $15.00 as noted by Krazy Kruisers.

Are you kidding me??? $150pp for 12 for a ship tour that costs them $0 except for the time of the tour guide who is likely already on staff. Wow. Whatever the market will bear. I guess there must be 12 on each cruise who wouldn't think twice. I have been in all those areas at one time or another (except funnel) at no cost.

It's a single tour, in a voyage, with 12 people who EACH pay $150US! Princess is testing the waters to see if they will expand it fleet-wide.

Yes, $1800US for 4-6 hours is a bit much! A poster on the Princess Forum said they each got a monogrammed robe and an Exec. Chef's jacket. :o

I just wanted to know if HAL did it a much cheaper cost. I would not pay that much either.

I suspect that Princess is deliberately pricing the tour at a relatively high price ($150USD per person), in order to keep the numbers low. They really can't have 500 people traipsing through the bridge and engine room. Besides being a security nightmare, it might interfere with the operation of the ship.

If they do expand it fleetwide, or if it does migrate to HAL, I wouldn't expect the price to come down very much.

It seems that the demand for such tours has never abated. After 9/11, they pretty much stopped doing them, except in a few rare cases. They seem to have loosened up a little bit in the last couple of years. At least once a month, it seems, there is a question from someone about how to get a bridge/engine room tour. The responses are usually "no way", but there is almost always someone who says they got a tour by asking nicely at the purser's desk or meeting the captain or first officer, who arranged one. The cruise lines have probably decided that this is yet another opportunity to garner revenue for something that has been free in the past.

If they decide that they can safely manage to give, say, twenty people per cruise such a tour, and they can fill that quota of twenty at $150 per head, why should they lower the price? That would only encourage more pax to request a tour. Then they have the choice of either turning people away, or exceeding the number that the crew is comfortable with.

Paul

It's a single tour, in a voyage, with 12 people who EACH pay $150US! Princess is testing the waters to see if they will expand it fleet-wide.

Yes, $1800US for 4-6 hours is a bit much! A poster on the Princess Forum said they each got a monogrammed robe and an Exec. Chef's jacket. :o

I just wanted to know if HAL did it a much cheaper cost. I would not pay that much either.

Well if you get the mongrammed robe and chef coat it is more reasonable then. Still a stretch though.

Would consider if robe and jacket included, but I am an old Navy man and enjoy that kind of thing...

Hi, there fellow Ottawans!

As others have said, there is nothing like the Princess ship's tour available. But there is a free tour of the kitchen (usually the first sea day, I think) that is quite interesting, and there also seems to be backstage tours offered by the entertainers (again free).

Hi, there fellow Ottawans!

As others have said, there is nothing like the Princess ship's tour available. But there is a free tour of the kitchen (usually the first sea day, I think) that is quite interesting, and there also seems to be backstage tours offered by the entertainers (again free).

Loving the rain today?

We did the galley tour on Coral Princess last month. It's part of the Culinary Demo that the Exec. Chef and Maitre d'Hotel host. Then, you can buy the Princess cookbook (Courses) for $28US. I bought an extra one to give to my wife's best friend (Anna) who owns the New Dubrovnik restaurant on Carling Ave. She's always looking for new recipes to give a Croatian twist to. The recipes are FAST and really very simple. They're organized by itinerary (Panama, Europe, Alaska, etc), and are VERY tasty!

I gave my mom the HAL cookbook for Christmas a couple of years ago. We've never made anything from it, but it is fun to look at (that's like most of my cooking, better thought about than actually tasted!).

Haven't been to the New Dubrovnik in years. Living in Orleans, it is a bit out of the way for me.

Just finished clearing all the snow from the end of the driveway (thank you City of Ottawa snowplow driver:mad:) so that it doesn't freeze once this brief thaw is over.

Archived