My Solstice Experience

Coco Creek

We ate in Blu every night except one and had a delightful experience each time. Food presentation and flavor were superb. Our waiter was marvelous, but the assistant waiter was new and it showed. We loved the smaller venue as well as the maitre d' who made it a point to visit every table each evening. Very nice. :)

We ate in Blu every night except one and had a delightful experience each time. Food presentation and flavor were superb. Our waiter was marvelous, but the assistant waiter was new and it showed. We loved the smaller venue as well as the maitre d' who made it a point to visit every table each evening. Very nice. :)

Wow, exactly our experience. But, I have to admit some of the items on the menu were "different".

We had a couple beside us that were always at least 30 minutes late. We would already be eating our appetizer or soup by the time they would arrive. Well our meal would go along at a good pace then stop. Like the waiter was trying to catch everyone up. Well the second time it was happening I said something to the Assistant maitre d' and he took care of it immediately. From then on the courses progressed smoothly.

I will be hard pressed to go back to the main dining room after this experience.

enjoy,

Duane

Worn grass behind glass show was pulled up on Saturday and will be replaced by some kind of pavers. I'll be on again early Feb and will see what has changed.

That's a testament to the popularity of the glass show and to the wise decision to include it on the Solstice. The need to put in some sort of stadium seating so those at the back can see too!

We are booked for E. Med in June thanks for the review. Question to everyone- Is it possible that pool temp was due to new ship/shakedown/winter outside temperatures?

We are AQ- does anyone have actual Blu menus?

Returned from Solstice this last sunday. Other posts discussed the pool temp issue. We are not "pool people" so only checked it once and never used any.

Blu was outstanding. Unfortunatly did not swipe any menus. But, each night there was something that appealed except the last. My mistake not to go off menu for a steak or something else. I like lamb but the lamb shank was not my fav. My lady had the lamb chops/rack earlier in the week and they were excellent. My DW would regularly get either two starters or two salad items if they appealed more; the waiter never blinked at this. Nor did he fuss at our ordering of only one desert to share.

I don't understand the earlier coments on how "bad" Blu was. Simply either taste or other problems I guess.

Our experience (and we are foodies) was excellent. Consistent, friendly good service. (Not flawless, but very good) The coffee everywhere on the ship was very good if a bit strong. I suspect that using a medium roast rather than a dark would solve that.

We never had any desire to eat elsewhere. Our only venture out of Blue for dinner was to Silk Harvest which was excellent, only mared by a waiter who wanted to give us more food than we could eat. Not rude, just didn't understand we didn't want to waste.

The little aqua spa cafe' in the solarium is a hidden secret. Wonderful light food great for a lunch after working out.

AQ totally worth it.

That's a testament to the popularity of the glass show and to the wise decision to include it on the Solstice. The need to put in some sort of stadium seating so those at the back can see too!

Hi Rolfecms !

I completely agree. One of the many comments I made onboard, was that it's obvious the Glass show is a must see, and they need to have more seating, and a way to be able to see better. I went to the show twice, and each time, I had heads in front of me. I'd like to see that improved. If they need to take out some or all of the lawn to improve the Hot Glass Show, so be it... as the lawn was a non-event for me.

I questioned the merits/feasability of the lawn from the moment it was announced. I am sorry to say that it looks like my concerns may prove to be accurate, though I hoped I would be wrong.

When we were in San Juan, we had a chance to see the artisans practice, and actually talk to them. The one guy said they called Celebrity and asked if they could modify the Equinox to include stadium seating for 150. Since we live near Cleveland, we had a chance to go to Corning and see the show there. I imagine this is the only chance people get to see this amazing art form. Who would've thought it would be this popular.

Being a "glass collector" and knowing a glass artist in Atlanta that I collect have seen (he sculptures, doesn't blow usually).. the glass show would be a major draw for me... We were at Corning many, many, many moons ago where you just walked through.. How often do they have the glass show on the cruise and are the pieces for sale eventually?

Being a "glass collector" and knowing a glass artist in Atlanta that I collect have seen (he sculptures, doesn't blow usually).. the glass show would be a major draw for me... We were at Corning many, many, many moons ago where you just walked through.. How often do they have the glass show on the cruise and are the pieces for sale eventually?

The glass show was performed twice on sea days and once on port days. They do not sell the pieces but give them away in a raffle.

DH and I used the Solarium Pool on Tuesday, Wed and Fri and it was heated. Very warm and much the same as the heated pool here at home.

There were quite a few people. Can't speak to the outdoor pools as it was rather windy and we preferred to be inside. The A/C however in the Solarium area was cool and we were chilled a bit when we got out of that warm water.

Well, on a 14 day t/a of the Equinox I guess I know where I will be spending my days.lol I do own a very special piece of Frabel (the Atlanta glass artist) that is or was wanted for Corning... and another piece I turned down.. is already on display there..

Returned from Solstice this last sunday. Other posts discussed the pool temp issue. We are not "pool people" so only checked it once and never used any.

Blu was outstanding. Unfortunatly did not swipe any menus. But, each night there was something that appealed except the last. My mistake not to go off menu for a steak or something else. I like lamb but the lamb shank was not my fav. My lady had the lamb chops/rack earlier in the week and they were excellent. My DW would regularly get either two starters or two salad items if they appealed more; the waiter never blinked at this. Nor did he fuss at our ordering of only one desert to share.

I don't understand the earlier coments on how "bad" Blu was. Simply either taste or other problems I guess.

Our experience (and we are foodies) was excellent. Consistent, friendly good service. (Not flawless, but very good) The coffee everywhere on the ship was very good if a bit strong. I suspect that using a medium roast rather than a dark would solve that.

We never had any desire to eat elsewhere. Our only venture out of Blue for dinner was to Silk Harvest which was excellent, only mared by a waiter who wanted to give us more food than we could eat. Not rude, just didn't understand we didn't want to waste.

The little aqua spa cafe' in the solarium is a hidden secret. Wonderful light food great for a lunch after working out.

AQ totally worth it.

First thanks for your response. DH & I & friends we are cruising with are foodies(and from NY-so we expect a lot). This is our 1st Celebrity cruise(E. Med in Jun '09) & the food quality & presentation were key elements in selecting the cruise. I apprecaite your comment about not wasting food-there is a difference between eating well and just eating because its included. This will be our friends 1st cruise and they are depending on us for info etc. So for you & anyone who has been in AQ a few questions:

1. Have you been in 1603 & 1601? Impressions?

2. Was there a separate desk/area for check-in( boards have had conflicting info)?

3. Luggage was this priority delivered?

4. Did you use room service? Like it or frustrated(too long wait, wrong items?)

5. Blu-what did you like or not like & why

6. Did all the extras promised in the brochure actually arrive in your cabin? Flowers, fruit, robes, spa goodies etc.?

7.Did you use the spa concierge?

8. Did you use spa?

9. Bars- Is there a quiet(so that conversation can be carried on) area in any of the venues?

10.Was there priority for getting off @ ports?

11. Did you eat in any of the Alternative Restaurants ? Like or dislike & why?

12.Disembarcation- again Priority? Walk off allowed?

Again many questions and some answers may not be in effect for Europe vs Carribbean but any & all help is greatly appreciated.

Carole

First thanks for your response. DH & I & friends we are cruising with are foodies(and from NY-so we expect a lot). This is our 1st Celebrity cruise(E. Med in Jun '09) & the food quality & presentation were key elements in selecting the cruise. I apprecaite your comment about not wasting food-there is a difference between eating well and just eating because its included. This will be our friends 1st cruise and they are depending on us for info etc. So for you & anyone who has been in AQ a few questions:

1. Have you been in 1603 & 1601? Impressions?

2. Was there a separate desk/area for check-in( boards have had conflicting info)?

3. Luggage was this priority delivered?

4. Did you use room service? Like it or frustrated(too long wait, wrong items?)

5. Blu-what did you like or not like & why

6. Did all the extras promised in the brochure actually arrive in your cabin? Flowers, fruit, robes, spa goodies etc.?

7.Did you use the spa concierge?

8. Did you use spa?

9. Bars- Is there a quiet(so that conversation can be carried on) area in any of the venues?

10.Was there priority for getting off @ ports?

11. Did you eat in any of the Alternative Restaurants ? Like or dislike & why?

12.Disembarcation- again Priority? Walk off allowed?

Again many questions and some answers may not be in effect for Europe vs Carribbean but any & all help is greatly appreciated.

Carole

Hi Carole

I will try to answer some of your questions, Many answers will be opinion so hopefully they will help.

Background DW and I are very widely traveled but rather new to cruises. Active late 50's. Only 3 real ones under our belt.

Q1. We stayed in 1601 and found it very enjoyable. Being on the front side of the slope gave us an extra large veranda. 1603's next door was even a bit bigger. Another advantage is you can see forward from both without leaning out. Possible disadvantage, wind. Forward motion of the ship results in a pretty good breeze.

Q2. Yes. Very fast and easy in FLL.

Q3. Not really, we were a bit concerned but it got there before early dinner time.

Q4. Yes. We used it twice and the afternoon snacks 4 times. Quick and accurate for us. No problems at all.

Q5. Loved Blu. Staff and decore excellent. Food outstanding, quantities reasonable (we were trying very hard to be good with our eating habits). The only night I should have gone off menu for a filet was the last, which had Lamb Shank as the only item I even slightly found appealing.

Q6. Yes. Seemed like everything was provided. Cabin steward (Seby from India) was very good and accomidating.(sp)

Q7 & 8. We saw and treated this cruise as a spa vacation that happened to be on a ship. We used the spa concierge daily. She was very helpful with scheduling and service info. My DW got one of the Detox and fitness packages. We initially blanched at the cost but later felt it was very worth the money. 6 full treatments and 3 personal trainer sessions. Make sure to book it in advance even if the land side X people on the phone say it has to be done on the ship. We believed them and when we asked onboard we were told that is only available in advance. The concierge was able to arrange for us to get it anyway. I purchased 2 combo "feature of the day" treatments and was very satisfied with them.

Q9. We didn't use the bars much. Michaels club once while waiting for the show and Enselmbaugh (sp) lounge once. Both are quiet enough for a chat. Cellar Masters also seemed suitable.

Q10. Don't know, all the ports were walk off's and never had to wait more than the time it took to get an elevator.

Q11. Only Silk Harvest and the Aqua Spa cafe. Both excellent. Loved the cafe for light breakfast and lunch before or after working out in the Gym. (Great gym by the way.)

Q12. We did walk off, a bit caotic but FAST.

Hope these help. We also did E. Med last year on the Nautica and would answer any questions on the ports we visited including the guides we used. Just ask.

Mark

Carole-Lee, I write this to help you find the information you are seeking. All of your questions have been answered either by returning folks posting reviews or mini reviews on the Celebrity board, or by those writing full reviews which can be found in the Reviews section accessible from the very top toolbar of this page. I would suggest you go back at least 3 weeks to read all the information posted on these boards.

And since your cruise is many months off, you will be able to avail yourself of more opinions than just relying on specific responses to your queries which are buried within someone else's thread.

Hi Carole

I will try to answer some of your questions, Many answers will be opinion so hopefully they will help.

Background DW and I are very widely traveled but rather new to cruises. Active late 50's. Only 3 real ones under our belt.

Q1. We stayed in 1601 and found it very enjoyable. Being on the front side of the slope gave us an extra large veranda. 1603's next door was even a bit bigger. Another advantage is you can see forward from both without leaning out. Possible disadvantage, wind. Forward motion of the ship results in a pretty good breeze.

Q2. Yes. Very fast and easy in FLL.

Q3. Not really, we were a bit concerned but it got there before early dinner time.

Q4. Yes. We used it twice and the afternoon snacks 4 times. Quick and accurate for us. No problems at all.

Q5. Loved Blu. Staff and decore excellent. Food outstanding, quantities reasonable (we were trying very hard to be good with our eating habits). The only night I should have gone off menu for a filet was the last, which had Lamb Shank as the only item I even slightly found appealing.

Q6. Yes. Seemed like everything was provided. Cabin steward (Seby from India) was very good and accomidating.(sp)

Q7 & 8. We saw and treated this cruise as a spa vacation that happened to be on a ship. We used the spa concierge daily. She was very helpful with scheduling and service info. My DW got one of the Detox and fitness packages. We initially blanched at the cost but later felt it was very worth the money. 6 full treatments and 3 personal trainer sessions. Make sure to book it in advance even if the land side X people on the phone say it has to be done on the ship. We believed them and when we asked onboard we were told that is only available in advance. The concierge was able to arrange for us to get it anyway. I purchased 2 combo "feature of the day" treatments and was very satisfied with them.

Q9. We didn't use the bars much. Michaels club once while waiting for the show and Enselmbaugh (sp) lounge once. Both are quiet enough for a chat. Cellar Masters also seemed suitable.

Q10. Don't know, all the ports were walk off's and never had to wait more than the time it took to get an elevator.

Q11. Only Silk Harvest and the Aqua Spa cafe. Both excellent. Loved the cafe for light breakfast and lunch before or after working out in the Gym. (Great gym by the way.)

Q12. We did walk off, a bit caotic but FAST.

Hope these help. We also did E. Med last year on the Nautica and would answer any questions on the ports we visited including the guides we used. Just ask.

Mark

Mark

Many thakns for your answers. I realize that may of my questions/concerns have been posted-but its always better to get a direct answer. Happy Holidays

Carole

Archived