Punta Arenas

Mel

I'm trying to find information on Punta Arenas since we depart from there on the Discovery in late December. We fly in from Santiago and really I don't know how much free time we will have there prior to boarding the ship. We're interested in things to do, obviously, and where to buy wine to take on the ship (it didn't seem to bother them when we took it on board in Harwich) and any other info you may have on this port, (the cruiseline is not offering any shore excursions there so I'm sure we don't have a whole lot of time!). Any other information on the Falklands, South Georgia and Antarctica cruise aboard the Discovery would be appreciated. Please help!

Mel, can you give us a better idea of how much time you have in Punta Arenas. It will help us limit our answers to things that can be done in the amount of time that you have available. A lot of us aren't familiar with the itinerary, so some details would help us answer your questions.

Also, in case you aren't psyched enough: Go with the Floe: http://www.forbes.com/business/fyi/2008/1027/085.html.

Our flight arrives in Punta Arenas about 11:30am (from Santiago), and the ship supposedly sails at 7pm, so with transferring to the ship, etc., I don't suppose we will have much more than three or four hours to wander around!

From what I understand of Punta Arenas, you should have time to grab a cab and head out to see the penguins at Otway Sound (Seno Otway), if you don't want to just wonder around the town. Reports are that it should be easy enough to arrange when you get there.

Maps of the town and of the area are easy enough to find on the web and download.

Archived