Phone calls home from ship using one's laptop.

RobertGraves

Many thanks to all again.

As you surely know, wireless Internet access was expanded throughout the QM2 during her recent refit.

World Club Gold members are entitled to a complimentary Internet package through the ship's computers in the Internet centre (I think it was two hours in our last Spring cruise). Does this apply to wireless connection through our own laptops?

Many thanks to all again.

As you surely know, wireless Internet access was expanded throughout the QM2 during her recent refit.

World Club Gold members are entitled to a complimentary Internet package through the ship's computers in the Internet centre (I think it was two hours in our last Spring cruise). Does this apply to wireless connection through our own laptops?[/quote

I was in October on board QM2. Wireless signal was extremely week so really didn't use it. As a gold member we had 2 hours of free internet at the ship's computers which was more than adequate. Never had to wait on both QM2 and QE2. Free internet did not apply to your own laptop.

I was in October on board QM2. Wireless signal was extremely week so really didn't use it. As a gold member we had 2 hours of free internet at the ship's computers which was more than adequate. Never had to wait on both QM2 and QE2. Free internet did not apply to your own laptop.

In July wifi did work on QM2 as part of a World Club free package. In October the same applied to QE2.

I have just returned from the Dec 9th cruise on QM2. And I brought my laptop since they have discontinued the wonderful interactive TV email.

However, be advised, that while there is wifi now in cabins, owners of Macs cannot use them in their cabin. For some reason they will not work with the type of system there the computer manager told me. She said I could use it in the computer center and it would connect there as that area of the ship has a different system. Seemed a bit odd to me that the systems would be different but so be it. I logged on easily down there.

And yes, your free World CLub time can be used on your own computer. It was deducted on my final bill. And surprisingly, what times I did use it, it was fairly fast. However, being used to the old system where I could email in the comfort of my cabin early in the morning or late at night, going to the computer center was inconvenient to me. I found I had far better things to do than stay in touch via email.....maybe that's what it's all about!;)

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Archived