HUGE problem...

berls088

i asked him the same thing and he said all he had to bring was his baptismal certificate... i had some not nice words for him when i realized he waited 25 years to get this fixed. and hes yelling at ME for naggin him to get it fixed asap. MENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Tell him if he does not get his bony butt on this, he is not only NOT going but you can find someone else to go in his place that has a valid BC or Passport :D. I am sure there are a lot of people that would love to be on a cruise in the winter.

Call your Congressman, they can help with this.

I hope I do not confuse the issue for you... But, since he was adopted it is possible, even likely, that there were TWO birth certificates issued. One, obviously at birth, and the second one issued when he was adopted. The 2nd one would have his adoptive parents names and, if they changed his name, his new name.

I only point this out because he may need to contact a different office, depending on whether adoption took place in a different jurisdiction from his birth. He would obviously need the "adoptive" certificate.

Im hoping that the incorrect version you have is something from the hospital and not an official birth certificate, and that the official version is correct.

So, my boyfriend just notified me that he only has a xeroxed copy of his birthday certificate..and our cruise is less then 6 weeks away.

its gets worse. his birth certificate says the wrong year on it...

it gets worse. hes adopted...

are we screwed??????

a photo copy birth certificate is not good any way. (is "birthDAY certificate" printed on that document?)

Good chance to find out more about your BF if you decide to go deeper. You never know the year on DL is less accurate? How did he (and you) know which is correct?

It is good idea to uncover something you do not know now than later.

Ya'll know that eventually everyone is going to need a passport, why don't folks just get passports and be done with all the worry about birth certificates. Using a passport you have one document instead of two to keep track of.

You cant get a passport without a certified copy of bc.

I just went through this with my grandmother. She was raised in an orphanage, but she knew her parents name and the name of the town in which she was born. We got the birth certificate in two days, but her name was spelled different and she was two years older!:eek: That really stinks when you are 85!:D We applied for her passport last week. I am worried because we did not know her parents birthdays, but we have not been contacted yet. No news is good news - I guess. We don't leave until March 2nd; so, we have plenty of time. Good luck!

You could be screwed,but you will be fine.

Go to the clerks office that is listed on the copy of his certificate and purchase a certified/notorized copy of it and be done.

DO NOT get into the wrong year issue.

Do not get into the adoption thing either.

Do not call anyone as it could flag an issue.

Don't mention anything to anyone. Correcting an official document of birth,for someone who is adopted may open a huge can of worms and could take a long time to fix,so don't go there.

very good point, sometimes too much information blows the minds of certain people. in this case you don't want a records clerk to get all crazy.

I know the adoption part of this will make it difficult, but your boyfriend needs to work on this. The Passport office deals with this sort of thing a lot.

I really feel that the energy should be directed at getting a passport. If you need a birth certificate to get the passport, so be it, but the goal should be the passport.

Well, that is my opinion. Good luck.

i asked him the same thing and he said all he had to bring was his baptismal certificate... i had some not nice words for him when i realized he waited 25 years to get this fixed. and hes yelling at ME for naggin him to get it fixed asap. MENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

If he's being a jerk, screw him and bring someone else, this way you can enjoy Canadian bacon in peace! I know Kate, Jess, & Bridget would all kill to get away from the snow;)

Ya'll know that eventually everyone is going to need a passport, why don't folks just get passports and be done with all the worry about birth certificates. Using a passport you have one document instead of two to keep track of.

Knowing what I know now, nothing in my forseable future leads me to believe that I will ever need a passport.

yea but if i "dont get into it" his bc wont match his license when we go to board and he will get rejected and i will therefore kick his ass!

thank you for all the advice everyone, i gave him all of the #s he needed call before he went to work, and told him to ask his work if he could go in a few hours later tomorrow.

and to get a passport u need a bc..which is the problem!

They are not looking at the date of birth.They are looking at the picture,and the name and comparing it to the name on the BC.

I cannot stress the point enough not to open this can of worms.

Just get a copy of the BC and thats it! Once the clerk pulls the document you could wait many months to get it fixed and to get a copy.

Might I suggest that you contact a laywer before you open this can of worms. Go pay a lawyer $100 to get the same answer I am giving you except I am not charging you. Don't open that can!! Guess what I do for a living?:)

They are not looking at the date of birth.They are looking at the picture,and the name and comparing it to the name on the BC.

My reading is.... you see a loophole somewhere:D. That is good reason we should go to passport solution sooner.

I STRONGLY suggest you (or anyone else) ever use a third party web site (such as Vitalcheck) to get any official records, such as a Birth Certificate. Why would you want to give out very confidential information to third party and pay extra to do it?

Just fyi, if the web site does not have the state abbreviation then dot us or dot gov it is not the OFFICAL state web site.

Here are some examples of OFFICAL state web sites to obtain an OFFICAL certified Birth Certificate. Note the state abbreviation and 'dot us" or 'dot gov' (in bold to highlight) contained in the address.

TEXAS http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/VS/reqproc/certified_copy.shtm

Rhode Island http://www.health.state.ri.us/chic/vital/index.php

New York http://www.health.state.ny.us/vital_records/birth.htm

Arizona http://www.azdhs.gov/vitalrcd/birth_index.htm

Kansas http://www.kdheks.gov/vital/birth.html

To find the official state web site for the state in question just Google the name of the state with the term Birth Certificate. (Example: Nevada Birth Certificate)

If the web site has any suffix other then .us or .gov beware.

I STRONGLY suggest you (or anyone else) ever use a third party web site (such as Vitalcheck) to get any official records, such as a Birth Certificate. Why would you want to give out very confidential information to third party and pay extra to do it?

Just fyi, if the web site does not have the state abbreviation then dot us or dot gov it is not the OFFICAL state web site.

Here are some examples of OFFICAL state web sites to obtain an OFFICAL certified Birth Certificate. Note the state abbreviation and 'dot us" or 'dot gov' (in bold to highlight) contained in the address.

TEXAS http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/VS/reqproc/certified_copy.shtm

Rhode Island http://www.health.state.ri.us/chic/vital/index.php

New York http://www.health.state.ny.us/vital_records/birth.htm

Arizona http://www.azdhs.gov/vitalrcd/birth_index.htm

Kansas http://www.kdheks.gov/vital/birth.html

To find the official state web site for the state in question just Google the name of the state with the term Birth Certificate. (Example: Nevada Birth Certificate)

If the web site has any suffix other then .us or .gov beware.

Ummm ... some states (such as PA) us VitalChek as their online service provider as opposed to running it through their own systems. It's perfectly safe.

Not bad advise to follow but in my DH's case, California wasn't offering mail in requests and there were several offices which we didn't know which one to go to. We would have had to drive to CA and go from place to place cuz we weren't getting anywhere on the phone or web searches. We did the vitalchek thing and got it within a week. Well worth the money IMO.

Not bad advise to follow but in my DH's case, California wasn't offering mail in requests and there were several offices which we didn't know which one to go to. We would have had to drive to CA and go from place to place cuz we weren't getting anywhere on the phone or web searches. We did the vitalchek thing and got it within a week. Well worth the money IMO.

For me its not a money thing it is a security thing. That is one reason I would never carry my birth certificate around in place of a passport. Way too much extremely confidential information on a full (long) BC. With a full birth certificate, one can assume anyone’s identity.(Sell it to someone who can.)

For the states that use Vitalchek, I would not use the online feature. I would only do such in person or via certified US mail. Perhaps there is a situation where Lexisnexis Vitalchek is the only solution, well, one must weigh the risks vs the gains, I for one would avoid it if at all possible.

By the way, Lexisnexis whole point of existence is to collect and compile information. Nowhere on their Vitalchek web site do they say they do not “keep” or “store” or use the information you provide for their own purposes. At the very lest I would guess they use the information to verify and “connect the dots” on information they already have.

For the folks who say, I don’t need a passport I’ll just use a BC, I think they are extremely foolish. If you lose a passport, it can be canceled, if you lose a BC, well you could find yourself screwed and not in the good way.

I am no web scardy cat or chicken little either; I buy things online all the time. Few things that many consider “confidential” do I worry about. However my full (long) BC is one thing I keep very secure.

Don't they need a correct birth certificate to get a passport?

Is it one year off? Two years?

I dont think I would worry about that.. they are looking at the BC with the raised seal... You can start correcting it after you get a copy.. I dont think the the wrong date will mean anything...

I cannot stress the point enough not to open this can of worms.

Just get a copy of the BC and thats it! Once the clerk pulls the document you could wait many months to get it fixed and to get a copy.

Might I suggest that you contact a laywer before you open this can of worms. Go pay a lawyer $100 to get the same answer I am giving you except I am not charging you. Don't open that can!! Guess what I do for a living?:)

I can not agree with Cruise3 any more than I do! Listen to this advise.. Once you get the copy with the raised seal, look into correcting it when you get home... This one minor correction may turn into months or even years of back and forth agravation!

Is it one year off? Two years?

I dont think I would worry about that.. they are looking at the BC with the raised seal... You can start correcting it after you get a copy.. I dont think the the wrong date will mean anything...

Pretty much. The BC is proof of US citizenship. It's verified by a state-issued ID. Get the BC, worry about correcting the date after you get back.

You could be screwed,but you will be fine.

Go to the clerks office that is listed on the copy of his certificate and purchase a certified/notorized copy of it and be done.

DO NOT get into the wrong year issue.

Do not get into the adoption thing either.

Do not call anyone as it could flag an issue.

Don't mention anything to anyone. Correcting an official document of birth,for someone who is adopted may open a huge can of worms and could take a long time to fix,so don't go there.

I too would try this first

Knowing what I know now, nothing in my forseable future leads me to believe that I will ever need a passport.

Huh? You are on CruiseCritic, have done a couple of cruises, and you don't need a passport in the forseeable future?

Please don't say that you are done with cruising.

Archived