St Thomas car service and restaurant recommendations?

SchnauzerPup

DW and I are disembarking in St Thomas on Mar 09 from Legend. Since past experience has taught us that a little of downtown Charlotte Amalie goes a long way :rolleyes: we are looking for a reliable car service and recommendation for a nice restaurant for early lunch prior to our 2:00 flight.

Has anyone ever used Gonzi's car service. A few folks on the St Thomas board said they were good but the posts were somewhat old.

How about restaurants that can be recommended for relaxed lunch?

Looking forward to getting back on the Legend...

The food in St. Thomas is unremarkable. In the downtown area you might want to try Gladys. There will be hundreds of cabs when you disembark. It will cost you under $20 to get to the airport.The airport is not crowded. The agent told us that there used to be 8 planes a day from Puerto Rico and now there are only three. There were 75 empty seats on our plane home. We flew down on Saturday and the plane was full. You literally can walk from the pier to town. The cab to town is $12 for two. I would not worry about booking a car. Since the economy is hurting you will not have a problem. It seems like everyone is a cab driver.

I agree that dining in St. Thomas is generally somewhat uninspired. However, if you happen to be in St. Thomas on a Wednesday through Friday, I would recommend Craig and Sally's which is in Frenchtown. It is only open for lunch those days. I have only been there for dinner, but I have been there several times and have never been disappointed. It call itself a wine bistro and has received several accolades, both local and from US publications. It is more upscale then Glady's in terms of the type of food and cost, but everything on the island is still casual.

The only two restaurants I have eaten at in St Thomas were the hard Rock Cafe (super loud as expected), and the Holiday Inn restaurant (not bad but slow service).

I find the cab situation in St Thomas to be a nightmare, especially if you are arriving into the airport and need to get to a hotel or port. They basically force you to share a van. I was told this is due to taxi regulations or something to that effect. I'm sure possible to get private cars.

Couple things to be aware of--the airport counters for the major airlines do not open afternoon--you can't check in till they open--you can't go to security, and get in the terminal without a boarding pass. If you get to the airport before noon you sit on the curb till they open. There are plenty of cabs, but be careful, and be sure you don't get a nonlegal gypsy cab--be sure the cab is legal--the gypsy cabs can be bad news! Most of the legal cabs are small vans. Food insn't much on St Thomas--the best we have had was pizza in a small resturant down an alley in the shopping area! Don

I just returned from St. Thomas on Dec. 6th. We did not encounter any problems other than having mediocre meals. We did not have a problem with cabs. The hotel called them for us and they were very accomodating. If you feel better hiring a car service I am sure that is an option.

Thanks for all the replies. Seems like the consensus is that St Thomas is not exactly a gastronomic wonderland :rolleyes:

We have been there a few times on SB in transit to FLL but never disembarked there. We were kind of hoping that there was something "special" we had missed but looks like we will grab a cab and make the best of things until it is time to go to the airport.

Thanks again

Went to Cuzzins on my recent trip. It is a block off the main street. We were warned not to go there when it was dark. The food is about the same as Gladys'. The pier area has been enlarged since we took our last Legend trip. Gucci and Louis Vuitton have been added in a new section. They are 10% cheaper than the US and no tax. Really not a major inducement. These store are opened only a few months. It is the site of the former Ramada Hotel that was ruined in hurricane Marilyn. There area few nice looking restaurants in the new part.

Archived