Loved progreso!!

pamstravels

We were in Progreso last week and LOVED it!! When we got to the terminal we booked a trip with Autoprogreso to visit the Dzibilchaltun ruins for only $29 per person. We were given wrist bands then we hopped on the bus to get off of the long pier. Once in market place we have over an hour to kill so we walked through local marketplace then down the malacon along the beach. What charactor Progreso has. We then took the double decker bus around town for only $2 each and really loved seeing the "real" Mexico not overly touristy like Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Cozumel.

Dzibilchaltun was incredible! After a short ride on the bus our tour guide showed us through the "garden" where some original statues from the ruins were displayed. It was Monday so the museum was closed. (Same thing happened to us in Paris, Louve was closed the only day we were there) We climbed the steps up to the Temple of the Dolls and looked down the long hill to the other ruins at the bottom. We then walked down to the cenote and enjoyed the cool clear water. Saw a few iguanas along the way. What was especially great to me was thinking about the people that used to use this cenote a couple thousand years ago for their drinking water, laundry and to bath. I could just imagine them sitting on the limestone steps socializing.

Progreso is a wonderful place to visit and I would go back in a heartbeat!

FYI - buy your liquer here because it is much more expensive in Cozumel.

Pam...what time did you get off the cruise? You went right to the Autopreso booth and booked? After the excursion did you have any time or did you get back just in time to hop back aboard?

We are going in May with a friend and her two daughters and think this is the way to go. Since I am the planner of the group I am trying to get it all figured out in my mind LOL

I believe we got off the boat around 8:00am but our tour didn't start till 10:45. Autoprogreso picked us up at the marketplace but dropped us off at the ship around 3:00. Lunch was not included in this tour so we picked up some snacks at the gift shop at Dzibilchaltun to tide us over will we got back to the ship.

Pam,

I think we crossed paths several times but never met. We were on the same ship and also went to DZ, but we also did the tour of Merida. It was a wonderful day. My six year old wouldn't put her feet in the cenote because she was afraid the fish would bit her toes.

I agree with you. I loved Progreso... didn't care much for Cozumel. Progreso is so down to earth; Cozumel is very commercialized. And I also agree... if you want suvinors buy them in in Progreso. I regret not getting a hammock in Progreso. The man told me I could buy it for $10. The next day in Cozumel they were $40.

You were probably in the marketplace around the same time as we were. My six year old was loving dancing in front of the band. lol

• 4 weeks later...
We were in Progreso last week and LOVED it!! When we got to the terminal we booked a trip with Autoprogreso to visit the Dzibilchaltun ruins for only $29 per person. We were given wrist bands then we hopped on the bus to get off of the long pier. Once in market place we have over an hour to kill so we walked through local marketplace then down the malacon along the beach. What charactor Progreso has. We then took the double decker bus around town for only $2 each and really loved seeing the "real" Mexico not overly touristy like Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Cozumel.

Dzibilchaltun was incredible! After a short ride on the bus our tour guide showed us through the "garden" where some original statues from the ruins were displayed. It was Monday so the museum was closed. (Same thing happened to us in Paris, Louve was closed the only day we were there) We climbed the steps up to the Temple of the Dolls and looked down the long hill to the other ruins at the bottom. We then walked down to the cenote and enjoyed the cool clear water. Saw a few iguanas along the way. What was especially great to me was thinking about the people that used to use this cenote a couple thousand years ago for their drinking water, laundry and to bath. I could just imagine them sitting on the limestone steps socializing.

Progreso is a wonderful place to visit and I would go back in a heartbeat!

FYI - buy your liquer here because it is much more expensive in Cozumel.

Thanks for your help. We just got back and did this tour through auto Progreso and enjoyed it.

Archived