AO Staff on Mariner

Finbar127

I posted this as a response to another thread (Mariner 12/7 Update). After thinking about it I wanted to post the relevent part concerning the AO staff on my recent Mariner cruise as a new thread.

My complaint concerns the Adventure Ocean staff. My son is a type I diabetic. We notified the staff when we signed him and my daughter up. My son wears a Medic Alert bracelet, we rented DECT phones so my son and /or the AO staff could contact us at a moments notice, and we left my son's test kit and emergency supplies with the AO staff whenever we dropped him off. On three occasions when we picked up my son and asked for his test kit and supplies the AO staff member had no idea what I was talking about. When I expressed my concern that they were unaware my son was diabetic and did not know the location of his test kit and supplies the answer I received was similar to "I just got here". I felt that the staff were dismissive of my concerns and arrogant in their responses.

The AO program is divided into groups based on age. However several times during the week the groups are combined for activities. It was during these times that I encountered this problem. If children are going to be left with an AO staff member from another group you would think that the staff member would be briefed on any child or situation that needs special attention.

This is my 4th cruise with Royal Caribbean since my son was diagnosed and the 1st time I have encountered this problem. During the previous three cruises each AO staff member I encountered was well aware of my son's condition and took steps to ensure everyone who supervised him were aware as well.

The quality of the AO program and the professionalism of the staff are a major factor in our decision to cruise with Royal Caribbean. In my opinion the AO staff on this cruise did not meet our expectations or the level of professionalism we have experienced on other RC cruises. I'm not one of those people who complain about everything however in this case I plan on writing RC and expressing my dissatisfaction with the AO staff.

With the exception of the problem with the AO staff (which I am hopefully optimistic was an aberration) we had a wonderful cruise. The Mariner is a beautiful ship. I'm sorry we waited to so long to sail on her and equally sorry that she is going to the west coast.

Archived