French Wine and Cheese Tasting

Ice Carving Demostration

Margarita Madness W/ Guacamole Made Easy

Martini clinic

Beers of Europe Tasting

Italian Wine Tasting

Mojito & Muddling Techniques

Sangria Tasting

Close up magic & More (with the entertainer)

Is there a charge to any of these classes?

All of the alchohol related ones were $15/pp. For the Martini tasting it was very competive with a very competive with a "tasting flight" you would find in at a local restaurant/bar. Actually probably better.

Its also a group thing. Bartender does trivia questions and everyone gets involved and gets to know each other. Fun time.

I complained that on a recent trip all NCL U was alcohol related....no friends of Bill allowed.

Not positive about the present but this July on the Dawn they also had classes on different computer programs such as Excel, etc. Someone I met on the cruise took the Excel class and enjoyed it.

Not positive about the present but this July on the Dawn they also had classes on different computer programs such as Excel, etc. Someone I met on the cruise took the Excel class and enjoyed it.

I would have enjoyed anything like that....but on the majesty cruise I was on it was all alcohol U all the time.

This is a new thing that cruiselines are doing and I think it is a fantastic win win for both cruiselines and pax. What they are doing is having, mostly retired, people come onboard and teach these "classes" for a couple of weeks or so at a time. The person who teaches them gets, of course, a free cruise out of it and may even get a little bit of pay. Not for sure if they get any pay though. From what I have read and heard they get a small inside cabin for free for them and a guest. BOY do I wish we were retired and could do something like that. You wouldn't ever catch me at home.

I was on the Star this past week and they had NCL U classes that had a service fee and others that do not, each day. I can not remember all the topics but they included computer and destination classes. The computer classes were taught by a NCL employee.

I think some of the NCL-U courses can vary from ship to ship. On the Majesty this past August I attended a talk on hurricanes/Atlantic ocean, the history of ocean liners, and thought about attending one on the Norway.

Although not linked to NCL-U, the jewelry guy gave presentations on different gems and stones. I remember seeing three offered throughout the week.

Dear NCL, I am available to sail on a Panama Canal cruise in 2010. Let me go for free and I will give presentations about it. I will also talk about the history of the islands along the way. The only requirement is that I want a penthouse in front of the ship. Sounds like a good deal for you, no?

coka

I think some of the NCL-U courses can vary from ship to ship. On the Majesty this past August I attended a talk on hurricanes/Atlantic ocean, the history of ocean liners, and thought about attending one on the Norway.

Although not linked to NCL-U, the jewelry guy gave presentations on different gems and stones. I remember seeing three offered throughout the week.

Dear NCL, I am available to sail on a Panama Canal cruise in 2010. Let me go for free and I will give presentations about it. I will also talk about the history of the islands along the way. The only requirement is that I want a penthouse in front of the ship. Sounds like a good deal for you, no?

coka

We've been through the Panama twice and each read "Path Between the Seas" (so that would be twice as well). I guess we could downgrade to a free penthouse as well :D. Come on NCL, you have some fine lecturers just waiting on your call ;).

We've been through the Panama twice and each read "Path Between the Seas" (so that would be twice as well). I guess we could downgrade to a free penthouse as well :D. Come on NCL, you have some fine lecturers just waiting on your call ;).

...We will also make ourselves available for the Bermuda run! A lot of fascinating historical stories there too.

(Raudacruise, if you like Path Between the Seas, check out The Sea Venture for Bermuda)

coka

I attended a couple on the Jewel last summer and although the topics seemed interesting, the presenters were both extremely boring.:eek: One lady did a presentation on what to do with your digital photography and the other gentleman did a couple of lectures on St Petersburg and our other ports. The whole time I kept thinking - NCL, you need to hire me to do this - I could give a great presentation on making photo books from your cruises AND I could do a better job! LOL - nothing like breaking your arm patting yourself on the back!:o

On the Jade, we had a gentleman give several historical lectures about the areas (primarily Spain) we were going to. They were very good and probably were too short!!! They also had the Second City guys do a couple of "how to do stand-up" or some such thing and they had digital scrapbooking, etc.

I do agree at the moment that their "NCL-U" class schedule is a little "alcohol-heavy".

I always thought that, with 60-70 countries represented on board (the crew) there's gotta be several of them capable of doing a presentation about their homeland:) Also, some more in-depth "workings of the ship" stuff. Anyhow, just my big ideas:rolleyes:

How about activities that don't involve alcohol or food. Do they have a cost? Are they very good? Are these all for just adults, or can kids participate too (non alcohol of course)

Some of the classes n the fitness center (spinning, yoga, etc.) have a $10 charge that will be billed to your account for your convenience.

Bill

Some of the classes n the fitness center (spinning, yoga, etc.) have a $10 charge that will be billed to your account for your convenience.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Even this has changed somewhat. When we were on the Dawn in Oct., DH planned to take a yoga class or two. They were only selling a 4 class pkg. at $30 (I think) + gratuity.

Not sure whether that was the case with spinning.

Archived