Newark Airport Terminals.

RobertGraves

Flying from Britain to Ft Lauderdale to board the ship, we change flights at Newark airport.

We shall arrive at Terminal B and then depart from Terminal C (Continental Airlines). But we have to cross between Terminals in a short time.

So, to be somewhat prepared and have some peace of mind:), I would like to ask you: How one gets from Terminal B to Terminal C in the shortest way?

Thank you in advance.

Flying from Britain to Ft Lauderdale to board the ship, we change flights at Newark airport.

We shall arrive at Terminal B and then depart from Terminal C (Continental Airlines). But we have to cross between Terminals in a short time.

So, to be somewhat prepared and have some peace of mind:), I would like to ask you: How one gets from Terminal B to Terminal C in the shortest way?

Thank you in advance.

There is a monorail that runs between terminals which is free. The only problem - if I recall properly - is that you have to go through security. Here is a link that describes AirTran at Newark Airport. http://www.panynj.gov/airtrainnewark/on_airport_travel.html

The answer is probably the monorail. Since I live in NJ I have never taken this so I can not advise on the ease or time it will take.

What you also need to find out about is if they check your luggage through or if you have to wait for your luggage, lug it to the next terminal, stand on line to check in. If the monorail is outside security, you need to go through security again for which you need to alot 45 minutes at the Continental terminal. Once through, it is a great terminal to eat and browse.

On our last trip home from Europe, we had a 10 minute walk through the terminal to get to immigration, a short line at immigration but still probably 10 minutes with 5 or 6 groups ahead of us, walk to the baggage claim and get our bags. We thought the bags came down pretty quickly but the limo charged us a wait fee. I think that was partially because we had to wait 10 minutes for a gate. If you are seated in the back of the plane that can add an additional 10 minutes to get off the plane, but it means there is a shorter wait for the luggage. I believe I remember them saying that everyone had to get their luggage, even people flying from Europe on Continental, as we were, and transferring to another Continental flight. Now the monorail to the other terminal. Newark is Continental 's hub and even if you have your boarding pass it takes at least 15 minutes to drop off your luggage. Then up the escalator to security which as I said you need to give time for.

If your luggage is checked through (I would check this with the airline since it is critical), you still have immigration, monorail and security. Not a pretty scenario.

They tell us to get to the airport 2 hours in advance and we never cut it closer than 1 hour 45 minutes.

Hopefully, you will get an answer from someone who has done this. I hope my answer is wrong. The good news is there are a lot of flights from Newark to Ft. Lauderdale, so you should be able to get a later flight with no problem if you find out you need more time between flights.

There are also East Coast departure boards on Cruise Critics. I would post this question there, as well as do a search.

This past January, DH & I didn't drive to Newark Airport...live 1 hour from airport. We took the train at our nearby train station to the airport but the drop off was at terminal A. We needed to get the terminal C. We took the monorail. It's the best. :) We got to the other side in minutes. We didn't have to go through security at the monorails....only at arrival Terminal C to get on the plane. It was our first time taking Newark's Airport Monorail. We will do it again next month.

When you land you will have to go through immigration, then go to baggage claim and collect your bags then go through customs. After customs you will then drop your bags bag off. When you check-in for your flight in Britain make sure your bags are tagged all the way through to FLL, otherwise you won't be able to just drop your bags off, you will have to stand in line to completely check-in again.

After that no matter what you will have to go back through security.

Before you buy your ticket, do yourself a favor and check with either the airline or the airport??? I think I remember when traveling from Europe to Newark they made everyone collect their bags and everyone was complaining they were going to miss their connecting flights. It might have been a one time thing like the time we returned from Madrid and had to wait on a long line for an agricultural inspection of our carryons 3 years ago, but I would check because this will cost you a half hour. Waiting on line at the Continental counter to check your bag is not fast, even with a boarding pass.

This really bothered me so I asked my daughter's friend who is an international flight attendent with Continental. I was told that when you fly from Europe you have to collect your luggage and take it on the monorail to terminal C. However, you do not have to go to the regular checkin counter. There is a kiosk to recheck your bags when you get off the monorail. You do have to go through security. The only exception to rechecking your bags is if you are flying to Houston, Continental's other hub. The suggested time between flights was at least an hour and a half but two hours is even better.

Egg, it's not a Continental thing. It's a US immigration and Customs thing. You have to go through immigration and customs at your point of entrance to the US. And because you've had access to your bags at that point you then have to recheck them and go back through security.

Archived