Great Stirrup Cay - parasailing?

gkrnjlr

Has anyone done this as an excursion? We are considering doing this on our upcoming cruise - but I'm really wondering a LOT of things....

1. How high up do you go?

2. Approximately how long am I up there? It's tandem, if that makes a difference.

3. How do they reel you up and then back down/in?

4. How fast are we going?

5. Is there a weight restriction for us?

6. Am I going to die? LOL

7. We do wear life vests, right?

Anything else I am not thinking of?

For those that have done this before.....Would you do it again?

Thanks!

I don't have any answers for you as I've never done it...well, not yet. Our last cruise in that area, we had to skip GSC because of bad weather. I intended on doing it, but of course, didn't get the chance. On our next trip (January) I'd love to do it, but am going to wait and see how warm the water is before deciding.

The real reason that I responded to your post was simply because you made me chuckle.......thanks! :)

CG

Edited by CruisnGram

Your questions are very funny! I was on the Dawn at the end of November and my boyfriend and I did the parasailing. It is really quite easy. Yes, you do wear life vests. Hmmm...how fast are you going...I'm not a good judge of speed in the water, but it seems about the same speed as when water skiing. You are only up there about 5 minutes. The weight restriction is like 360 total pounds. You dont even have to get wet at all. You stand on the back of the boat and they hook you up and then gently reel you out and then back in at the end. Easy peasy! You do go pretty high and get a lovely view of the ship and GSC. My tip is to make sure to bring your camera and have another couple take pics of you while you are up there and then you can return the favor for them when they are up there. You need to have some proof you were up there for your friends and family. Oh, and if you want to get your toes wet, they will dip you in the water...so much fun! Just ask the boat driver. Good luck and have a blast. Oh and no....you won't die! :)

You go up about 400 feet. They use a winch on the boat that slowly lets you out and reels you back in.

When I did it I carried a disposable camera to take pics from up in the air. If I dropped it...no big loss.

I was just on the Sky in November and went parasailing....

Most of the questions have been answered, but I'll add a few details...

... high enough? :) I'm no judge of distance, but I felt like I was up 4-5 stories and had a beautiful view.

2. Approximately how long am I up there? It's tandem, if that makes a difference.

Yep, maybe 5-7 minutes.

The boats have motorized reels - no relying on pure muscle :)

Not super fast - I felt, for the most part, like I was floating. Clearly I was moving, but it wasn't like I was being whipped around.

There is, but I have no idea what it is. I'm a big girl, and so I was by myself - no tandem for me.

No! LOL. Even if the knot unties, it's a soft drop ;) No, no, just kidding. It's a little scary at first, and when they first start reeling you back in it's a little iffy - it gets a little bit jerky, but it's no big deal.

Yes - you're in a harness that you step into - kinda like a hammock for your butt, and then the life vest.

.. it was COLD in November. I can't imagine it would be any better in January. It was pleasant on ground, but up in the air and being a little bit wet, it was pretty chilly. I wore a t-shirt, and super lightweight parachute-type pants, and I was OK, but definitely consider attire.

YES. In a heartbeat.

The boat operators kinda hit on me, which was kind of funny, but something to keep in mind if that makes you *really* uncomfortable.

They take out 8-10 people at a time. You start either sitting (if you're in the front of the tandem or solo) or standing, and then they slowly start letting out the rope.

My fingers were so cold up there that I could barely operate my waterproof one-time camera. I haven't gotten those pics developed yet, but I *highly* doubt any of them came out. Keep that in mind, too.

Most of all - have fun. It was a great experience!

Okay I am almost sold on this! What happens if I am so scared or get scared that I let go of the bar that you hold onto? Are you still going to be held in position or am I going to be dangling?

Clothes....good point. January. What is suggested clothing?

I don't know that I trust myself with my digital camera up there so I would probably get a disposable!

I have a friend who is saying that I am going to wet my pants and everyone on the boat will see me do so! LOL And they will be laughing at me! :D

What are the CONS to all of this?

Thanks for everyone's input!

Okay I am almost sold on this! What happens if I am so scared or get scared that I let go of the bar that you hold onto? Are you still going to be held in position or am I going to be dangling?

Clothes....good point. January. What is suggested clothing?

I don't know that I trust myself with my digital camera up there so I would probably get a disposable!

I have a friend who is saying that I am going to wet my pants and everyone on the boat will see me do so! LOL And they will be laughing at me! :D

What are the CONS to all of this?

Thanks for everyone's input!

The only CONS are that you're making yourself nervous for nothing, unless you are afraid of heights. If so, I would ask why are you going? :D

There's nothing to hold onto. You can put your arms out to the side and you'll still be parasailing.

Take a look:

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g207/pcfamily/NCL%20Dawn%2006-2006/100_1220.jpg

Edited by AuntieBarb

Yeah - the only thing to hold on to are the straps of the harness - which is sort of at chin height. That was one minor, minor detail - because I'm a big gal, I had some bruising on my upper arms from the harness, but nothing that lasted more than a day or two.

Suggested clothing is loose-fitting and non-water-soaking, I would guess. You may just have to suck it up and be cold. :) The good news is that you can take a jacket for while you're waiting - but you may get wet during the boat ride or while others are up on the sail.

Definitely get a disposable.... you just never know. :)

The only "cons" as far as I was concerned was a bit of minor terror at first. I'll admit - I watched the knot between my harness and the rope holding me to the boat for the full first minute or two, praying it wouldn't slip. Of course, it didn't. :) The reeling back in is a bit of a scare at first, but even that's fine after a few seconds.

Seriously - a TON of fun and I highly recommend it. It was my favorite "excursion" on the trip by far.

It was still $79 in November, and yeah - you're out zooming around the ocean in a speedboat for an hour, but really only up in the air 10 minutes, max.

Does anyone know the cost? I love parasailing and anyone who does it will love it to.

On Great Stirrup Cay you're a captive audience so you have to pay the NCL price ($79). Try Googling the other ports you're stopping at along with "parasailing" and you might find a cheaper price. For example, in Cabo San Lucas there were several companies offering parasailing for $30 for a 10 minute flight.

my hubby and I mentioned to the friend we are cruising with that we were considering parasailing, since we have hit middle age(considering we are living to the mid 120) we have decided to stop being afraid and try new things. the next day we received and email from ncl confirming our excursion which we had not booked. Dear friend gave it to us for our bucket list. i loved the idea...hope I don't chicken out.

vick

• 5 years later...
Has anyone done this as an excursion? We are considering doing this on our upcoming cruise - but I'm really wondering a LOT of things....

Thanks!

Lmbo!!! same here, I am so scared but I really want to do tis!

Yes, it does seem a little scary. I turned 60 in April of this year.And parasailing was definitely and still is on my bucket list. Twice I booked and paid for this excursion.I was so nervous and scared that I even brought extra teeth (yep I'm a denture wearer).both times ,November 2012 and December 2013,were booked through NCL for there parasailing excursion on GSC. NCL canceled both times. In 2012 the Clerk at the shack held up a sign stating cancellation due to high winds, so I could take a picture of the fact that I didn't chicken out!I didn't need a picture the second time one of my sons was with me. I'll be in the Caribbean in two weeks but I did not book parasailing this trip (yet) lol. I just keep thinking maybe it was an omen. Oh and NCL just puts the credit back to your onboard account

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lmbo!!! same here, I am so scared but I really want to do tis!

It was me who originally posted this and I have to say........I DID go parasailing and I was very nervous going up but it was worth every penny and every minute! I say DO IT!!!!!!!! You will love it! Just force yourself to swallow your initial fears and also keep your eyes open so that you don't miss anything because it goes so fast.

Have fun!!!

Hubby & I did it once - He loved it - I hated it and would never do it again. Funny thing is - I'm the one who wanted to do it and couldn't wait. He was scared to do it and now can't wait to do it again.

April we are taking our son on Gem. He & hubby will be going together when we port in Fl. Thought they might have better/more views for them to see once up and it is a double. Me - I will stay on ground and take pics of them :D

Just in case you want to check out the one they will be doing it's "Cocoa Beach Parasail"

Enjoy & have Fun!!

P.S. Glad I did do it - just to say "I did" ;)

• 1 year later...
It was me who originally posted this and I have to say........I DID go parasailing and I was very nervous going up but it was worth every penny and every minute! I say DO IT!!!!!!!! You will love it! Just force yourself to swallow your initial fears and also keep your eyes open so that you don't miss anything because it goes so fast.

Have fun!!!

The part that scares me is $80 for 5 minutes of thrill. But it sounds like fun!

The part that scares me is $80 for 5 minutes of thrill. But it sounds like fun!

It was expensive and it does go by fast. The boat ride itself was fun, too, while the other pairs that were also taking their turn.