How will NCL divide the $12per day?

franu

I always reward good service with a very nice tip. People who at some point in their lives worked for tips are usually good tippers.

As this is my first NCL cruise and my first encounter with auto-tip, I would like to know how the $12 will be divided so that I may decide how much extra to give and to whom.

Fran

James, thanks for all the good info you post on CC.

Can you tell us if cash tips given to crew members must be "turned in" to the ship or can the employee keep whatever they are given directly by passengers.

I'm sure James will confirm this, but it is said that if auto tip is left on, then yes, any cash tip you give to someone is theirs to keep. It is considered extra tipping to those who you feel went above and beyond in their service.

However, if you remove auto-tip, all cash tips must be turned in to be divided amongst everyone in the tip pool.

CG

Half goes to the housekeeping staff and the other half to the different waiters/waitresses/jr waiters etc in the restaurant department

When I have sailed previously on Orient Lines, one tipped the waiter and the cabin steward $3.50pp/pd. The asst waiter $1.75 pp/pd and I have forgotten what the Asst. head waiter gets. In this ways I was able to determine what I should supplement by their service.

With auto tipping and open seating the only one who might benefit is the cabin steward as he is visible to me. I will most certainly spend a lot less on tips.

Fran

Archived